Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » What kind of gas mileage on 4-cyl foxbodies?? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: What kind of gas mileage on 4-cyl foxbodies??
Farrell
¯
Member # 10801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farrell  Ford pictures for Farrell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was thinking of a commuter too until someone did the same thing for me, its amazing how little you save...

according to this site and any other ones I looked up, its 19 around town and 26 freeway and the 5.0s are 16 around town and 23 around the freeway.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/7600.shtml

People automatically assume that you get better MPG with a smaller motor, but it has more to do with hp/tq to weight. Put a small motor in a heavy car is it has to work its ass off and rev way out... put a powerful motor in a heavy car and it works a lot less. that's why a lot of the 6 cyclinders they are making now get such good MPG, cause they are smaller than a v8, but still big enough to actually push the car around

[ March 06, 2012, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Farrell ]

--------------------
Learn as if you'll live forever, live as it you're going to die tomorrow - Ghandi

Posts: 287 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This all works if you can keep from modding 5.0. But who wants to leave it stock? I bought a clean cheap 4cyl that will eventually be converted to a 5.0. Until then, it will save fuel and wear and tear on my truck.

[ March 06, 2012, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm tellin ya, get something lightweight, japanese, and efficient.

the 90's Toyota MR2 and Mazda Miata are 2,100-2,400lbs, and come with small 1.6L-2.0L DOHC engines that make more that 110hp. I think by the mid 90's. both cars were making 130hp.

Most of the 4-banger foxes are like 2,700+lbs and only make 88hp@3800rpm... out of a 2.3L SOHC

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And I don't see how a 4-banger fox looks "cool". I'd much rather have a clean 92+ Civic hatchback that's better in pretty much every single way possible.

-Power
-Handling
-Brakes
-Interior room and design
-storage capacity
-fuel efficiency
-Reliability
-resale value
-build quality (appearance and mechanical)
-cheaper and more plentiful parts

the only upside to a 4-banger fox is RWD and the ease of doing a V8 swap. But neither of those things matter if you have a fast Mustang at home.

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Civic's best all around commuter and city car. I have an 05 Civic coupe I get 38 city, and around 43-45hwy mpg. I do all my oil changes and other maintenance on time(fluid levels, tire pressure, filter check). Best economy In my book.
Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bet this probably gets better gas mileage than a stock fox...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiFISY-VMKA

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had a 1993 LX for a few months and that thing was unsafely slow. Gas mileage wasnt that good. The even 93 had a higher hp engine
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JUNKYARD5.0:

AAAAAhhh that's LSD's car!

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by solbrothers:
quote:

Who is LSD? [Confused]

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by solbrothers:
quote:

Who is LSD? [Confused]
lifesuxdie (the person who uploaded the video) [Razz]

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com