Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Steeda Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0? What do YOU prefer & why???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Steeda Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0? What do YOU prefer & why???
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I posted this last year, but can't find my old thread, so I'm posting it again... I'm gonna trade out my MGW shifter in favor of either a Steeda Tri-Ax or a Pro 5.0... I want something with the shortest throw, but still suitable for weekend crusing...

What do YOU prefer....

P.S. I know the MGW is the best quality

[ April 16, 2012, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never tried the Tri-Ax, but for all out gear banging, Pro5.0 has never let me down.

I was not too fond of it for daily driving but that might be because my T5 probably had seen better days.

With a fresh rebuild, you won't notice anything bad about the Pro5.0

Shortest shift in the industry.

[ April 16, 2012, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
never have had a mgw, but i heard it is damn good. i loved my pro 5.0. it can be a little notchy but once you have it down it is a savage.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pro 50 with steeda handle ftw. Pro 50 handle sits too straight and I had to move my sholder forward to grab. The steeda handle has a nice bend on it making it more comfortable. I have the extra pro 50 handle if anyone wants it.
Posts: 785 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like my tri-ax in my coupe. Short throws, hard to miss 3rd, very positive shifting.

But I like my MGW in my fobra better, zero gear whine, smoother, easier to shift into each gear, the angle is adjustable...it's just a better piece. I traded some idiot the tri-ax from my fobra for it straight across, after I made the switch I was blown away how much nicer the car was to drive and how much quieter it was on the freeway.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro 5.0 short shifter FTMFW..... [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
I like my tri-ax in my coupe. Short throws, hard to miss 3rd, very positive shifting.

But I like my MGW in my fobra better, zero gear whine, smoother, easier to shift into each gear, the angle is adjustable...it's just a better piece. I traded some idiot the tri-ax from my fobra for it straight across, after I made the switch I was blown away how much nicer the car was to drive and how much quieter it was on the freeway.

How would you compare the Tri Ax to the MGW as far as short throws are concerned?

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have had both a tri-ax and pro-5.0, I personally like the tri-ax because my tranny is in an OLD school and the Tri-ax gives me more clearance in the shifter hole due to size. I also like the tri-ax cause it has a 3rd additional hole, so you actually mount the shifter higher if you want. it just gives you a total of 2 shifter mounting positions. Steeda also claims they are the shortest travel on the market,but I dont really buy that maybe under a microscope you see the difference.I always had pro50's in my fox bodys and liked them a lot.

other then that when it came down to choosing the mgw vs the steeda. The steeda won, because i could bolt various handles to it. Also I could bolt a handle that looks more appropriate in the old school.

[ April 16, 2012, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I own a Tri-Ax and cant say anything bad about it. Like Jeff above me said.... If it was for an older car, the base is smaller then the Pro 5.0 so it's a better fit. You can't go wrong with either one. [burnout]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I never tried the MGW but I like the Pro 5.0 shifter on a T-5. I didn't like the Pro 5.0 shifter with a Tremec TKO. I liked the Steeda shifter on a Tremec TKO.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

How would you compare the Tri Ax to the MGW as far as short throws are concerned?
they are hard to compare because the knob lands in a different place depending on how you have the MGW adjusted. The tri-ax is barely shorter though. After the trade it took me awhile to adjust to the MGW's position, it's hard to describe but I imagine going the other direction would be just as weird for a couple weeks.

I wouldn't bother if I were you, plenty of other things to do to the car that would make it faster.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had all three and liked the pro 5.0 with a stock knob the best.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have not been able to use a Steeda Tri-ax, I have a Pro 5.0, I like it for the positive feeling shifts, the 2-3 shift(most aftermarket shifters do the same thing from what I hear). Friend of mine had a Steeda Tri-ax and broke the aluminum part that bolts to the shifter, where the knob screws to. Lost a race because of it, after that I decided because of the type of material the Pro 5.0 is made out of, I would stick with it.
1ST0KGT
¯
Member # 10606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1ST0KGT  Ford pictures for 1ST0KGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I driven with three shifters, tri-axe is perfect for only daily driving, pro50 I don't like the handle having a slight angle but it handles when banging gears, love how third is, and MGW shifter is the best at the market, cool adjustment features but just a hassle to get it into gear, but it looks cool [Big Grin]

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT)
04/24/87-11/23/12

Posts: 1742 | From: San Jose (SOUTH BAY) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think this is the best (pro 5.0/kona handle)
http://www.konaracing.com/
 -

[ April 18, 2012, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro5.0 hands down. I have never missed a 3rd gear shift, the shifts are short and VERY precise. After driving cars with both shifters, I would never pick a tri-ax over a pro5.0.

Pro5.0 FTW [patriot]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
91blackonblack
¯
Member # 11591

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91blackonblack  Ford pictures for 91blackonblack  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got the pro50 an love it i had the tri ax handle before an real didnt like it.maybe becsuse it was jus the handle.but period point blank i will never leave the pro50

--------------------
91blackonblack is banned from this website for good. Vallejo ghetto drama does not belong on CAFords! Y'all need to find a different website. PLEASE! GTFO and take your ghetto shit with you.

ps- ENGLISH DOES MATTER. How foolish of CAFords, we wrote this on our registration page http://oi49.tinypic.com/2akjm7k.jpg but now realize it's useless because the intended audience CAN'T READ, TYPE OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!

His response:

"I just want to say i need some very important info.an the onl way was through a friend to help me find that info.but you guys are some fucking bitches that hide behind ur fucking computer all damn day.you fucking bastards racist piece of shyt.exspecally with that nazi symbol you guys think is koo.fuck you i hope i fuck ur sisters or wife.punk bitches.you guys are fucking haters.an i hope ur fucking website crashes to.god has the last word.an u guys let that piece of shyt 396 get away with murder.an letting everybody get banned because of his shyt talking.i hope he gets his to from somebody.one day he going to say the wrong thing to somebody.fuck u bitches.you mark ass.bye punks"

At least he's consistent with his views!

-----------------------------

91 ssp 306,h.c.i. +v2 blower,suspension
Duncan motorsFTMFTW/F.O.D. FTMFTW
Mr.Quandoe" swang shyt click"

Posts: 1608 | From: the blower yo bitch | Registered: Jan 2012  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think I might have a stock shifter, after reading all these comments I'm leaning towards getting a Pro50.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18535 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sneakyfox90:
i think this is the best (pro 5.0/kona handle)
http://www.konaracing.com/
 -

Yea son that what im sayin
Posts: 785 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
REDLIGHTING
¯
Member # 11296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for REDLIGHTING  Ford pictures for REDLIGHTING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tri ax hard to miss third

--------------------
1992 coupe YSI, DART,
225 TFS HIGH PORTS
04 mystichrome convertible

2006 GMC sierra slt crew

SSF_5.0_WARRIOR
¯
Member # 10170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF_5.0_WARRIOR  Ford pictures for SSF_5.0_WARRIOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking for some advice since you guys are already talking shifters. I have this tranny and was wondering what's the best shifter for it. Or some you guys might have liked. LMK [patriot] Thanks!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-7003-R58W/?rtype=10

Posts: 952 | From: South San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SSF_5.0_WARRIOR:
Looking for some advice since you guys are already talking shifters. I have this tranny and was wondering what's the best shifter for it. Or some you guys might have liked. LMK [patriot] Thanks!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-7003-R58W/?rtype=10

Pro 5.0. I have the short handle. But I am really digging the handle in the above picture.
95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
steeda with pro 5.0 handle!!!

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
norcalstangman
¯
Member # 8387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalstangman  Ford pictures for norcalstangman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro5.0 with tri ax handle and ford racing cobra shift knob because I have long arms and and big hands. I got tired of bustin my knucks on the council when shifting into 3rd.

[ April 20, 2012, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: norcalstangman ]

Posts: 444 | From: san mateo, ca | Registered: May 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com