Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Question about trading in a car at a dealership....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about trading in a car at a dealership....
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKLEEN/GT  Ford pictures for SIKLEEN/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just a quick question.... I need to get rid of my 2001 GT because i need more of a family car now that I have a baby, but the registration on my car is a month due and my dumb ass sold my stock exhaust manifolds and H-pipe, so I wont pass smog... My question is will a dealership take it as a trade in or does everything have to be current?
Posts: 299 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dealership will take the vehicle in and then charge you "retail" to install the new h pipe and everything it needs.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most dealerships wont even notice something like that. Unless it is somebody that knows a lot about cars. Most sales people just know how to sell the cars, not how to upgrade and fix them up. Hell, most of them don't even know how to sell the cars. Once you sign the paperwork on the new car, Its not your problem. Its almost like when you buy a car, once you sign the paperwork, its your problem. Unless you sign the paperwork on that new law where you can cancel or back out of an agreement within a certain amount of time, but If I recall correctly, you have to pay money for that service. What ever you do, play ignorant and don't tell them shit about the exhaust.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I second that the car is in perfect working order!

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 95GTConvtACE:
Once you sign the paperwork on the new car, Its not your problem.

[BS flag]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKLEEN/GT  Ford pictures for SIKLEEN/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So they will charge me to install the stock exhaust, but what about the registration? This is the first year I have had to smog the car since I bought it in 01 so unless I buy all the parts I will most likely not pass smog... will they still take it? Sorry for all the dumb questions... just trying to see what my options are...
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My guess is the dealer won't give you anywhere near what the car is worth. Why not just buy a used stock H-pipe so you can smog the car and then sell it?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trade-in on a GT in pristine condition is a measly 10 grand.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
Trade-in on a GT in pristine condition is a measly 10 grand.

are you sure?

I've seen 99-02 GT's for sale privately in the $6k range lately...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First of all you will get a horrible trade-in value no matter what car you trade with a dealership.

You are better offer doing a private sale if you are interested in getting the most money out of your '01 GT.

Second, the dealership will use any excuse to lower the value of the car and even though you already signed it over. This means the exhaust or any trouble smogging it will get your some calls from a guy saying your trade-in value will be reduced. You can't get away with it you might be signing a contract getting another car..

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you trade it in be sure you bring some lubricant because you will get screwed. better off selling it

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
93 CHP
¯
Member # 8240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 CHP  Ford pictures for 93 CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea just sell it instead
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just to give u an idea, 2 years ago I was at the dealership buying my Mach 1, & I still currently had my 97 Cobra. It had 98k on the ticker, FR500's, exhaust, & suspension mods, & it was clean...they offered me 3k for it...I ended up buying the Mach without trading in the Cobra, & I sold the Cobra a month later for 8k & I kept the wheels, & Bilstein struts....

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

I kinda figured selling it myself would probably be my best bet.... its just that I know people that have been selling a car for months with no luck and I just didn't want to sit around with this car... I was looking for a quick way to get rid of it...but my car is in good shape but not perfect so I know after all is said and done I won't get much for it at a dealership.
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok look a dealer will take your car in for trade no matter what you can tow it in and get money for it. So if a dealer realize your vehicle had an off road pipe then they will deduct it from your value. Now about how much they are going to offer you, Look everyone knows when you sell your car your self you can always get more. Today cars are going for cheap but you have to think if they are selling cheap, they are buying cheap. Good luck

Hey some one said about the return policy, ya today you have the right to return your vehicle but you have to ask for the policy and pay for it depending what king of car your purchasing the price is about $150-500, then when you decide to return it there is also another charge about $500 or more, It just depends on the purchase price of your vehicle.

Good luck

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com