Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smogg tips help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smogg tips help
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my truck its a 5.2L jeep magnum 318ci engine but It wasnt a complete fail only a .8 off!

Technician said hes sure it will pass with a new catalyc converter; wich sux bc I dnt have the $250 + install fees for a new one!

I was wondering if I can beat the sniffer any other way? I was thinking about buying seafoam and running et idk any ideas? Here are the readings

-

-

--------------------
*NorCal

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A few tricks that have helped me in the past.

1- run a bottle of Sea Foam through your vacuum lines. Make sure you're in a well ventilated area as this stuff makes your car smoke!

2- Pour in Toluene in the gas tank. Its a paint thinner additive that can be picked up at Kelly Moore. This will clean out anything and raise up the octane in the fuel creating a slower burn use with 91.

3- Pull the electric fan fuse and bring the car onto the dyno at almost the point of overheating. A hot car always burns cleaner.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
True riddler my car runns colder than normal aboutat 1/4 temperature on a normal day.

I did new oil change new oil filter & a new o2 sensor and it failed by a minimal amount.

If I replace old pluggs with new ones run Sea Foam &.dissconect the fan like u said will that help?

Thanks in advance

--------------------
*NorCal

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do a tune up and get the cats really hot. sea foam only works best when nox is high.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
do a tune up and get the cats really hot. sea foam only works best when nox is high.

Oh ok, so my best bett is swapping to new pluggs gapping them running 91 in tank & gett the cats real hott?

--------------------
*NorCal

1ST0KGT
¯
Member # 10606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1ST0KGT  Ford pictures for 1ST0KGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Find somebody that "does smog" if you know what I mean [Big Grin] lol the seafoam and overheat technique ftw

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT)
04/24/87-11/23/12

Posts: 1742 | From: San Jose (SOUTH BAY) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

quote:
Originally posted by 1ST0KGT:
Find somebody that "does smog" if you know what I mean [Big Grin] lol the seafoam and overheat technique ftw

I would if it would of failed a whole gang of shit but it failed by a miniscule point. Ill give the seafoam & overheating thing a try ill also runn new pluggs mite as well

--------------------
*NorCal

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It looks like the cats weren't hot enough, run the shit out of it and have them test it again before it cools down.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
It looks like the cats weren't hot enough, run the shit out of it and have them test it again before it cools down.

Thays what i think too, this guy was quick too point out his buddys shop that sold carbed stamped oe.replacement catts for.$250 a pop + installation fees.

I have another thread & I also was pointed out too a lil bottlel of guataranteed smogg running 91 in tank & heating the shitt out off the cats right before testing it again.

Ill give that a try a guy said his honda that needed a cat dropped 50 ppm

--------------------
*NorCal

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

So I did the guranteed to pass ordeal with 91 octane gas rann it till the catts got hott & it still failed. Guy told me it brought it down a bitt that was better than last time but I.didnt get a slipp this time around.

This lil guy is really pushing the catalic converter sale, I know it failed by a few miniscule points any 1 know any smogg shops that would help me pass? Around Hayward/Union City/Freemont

I dnt want a smogg hook upp my car should pass it doesnt fail by a lott. Im relly getting annoyed & tired of this guy preaching too me abiut that damn catalic converter.

--------------------
*NorCal

dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
basic tune up?

plugs ,wires,oil,clean maf

and rubbing alcohol in the gas tank is suppose to help ,but research that first i dont want to be the guy to tell u to try somthin and fuck it up

and i think 87 octain is better for smog cause it burns faster so less unburnt fuel.

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dean-93:
basic tune up?

plugs ,wires,oil,clean maf

and rubbing alcohol in the gas tank is suppose to help ,but research that first i dont want to be the guy to tell u to try somthin and fuck it up

and i think 87 octain is better for smog cause it burns faster so less unburnt fuel.

That's what he should do.

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
87 octane not 91 when getting smogged. 87 burns faster so less unburned fuel goes into the exhaust.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com