Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 68 mustang push button start?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 68 mustang push button start?
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68StangTAY  Ford pictures for 68StangTAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im thinking of putting push button start in my stang just was wondering has anyone here has installed one in their car
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
depends how you want it. If you want to get rid of the key completely like to unlock the steering wheel or not?

It's easy to put a pushbutton in line to the starter solenoid trigger wire to crank it.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
depends how you want it. If you want to get rid of the key completely like to unlock the steering wheel or not?

It's easy to put a pushbutton in line to the starter solenoid trigger wire to crank it.

'68s have the key on the dash, no wheel to unlock.

I had a '66 I did a push button start on about 18 years ago. It's not hard, but I probably wouldn't do it again.

[ 2015-06-11, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ididit-universal-touch-n-go-start-system-with-multi-color-led-button-dash-mounted/p/PBSK31/?year=2006&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign= shopping&gclid=CIus17_QisYCFVaTfgod7XQA0w little pricy

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have push button start on my 68 but the key still needs to be in the ignition for the car to start.. it was pretty easy to do..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
I have push button start on my 68 but the key still needs to be in the ignition for the car to start.. it was pretty easy to do..

why not just use the key lol?

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:

why not just use the key lol?
Added the push start when i did the efi conversion as a security measure.. its hidden and car cant be started using the key.. just being careful after my 82 was stolen..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68StangTAY  Ford pictures for 68StangTAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If i was to do it i think i would like to get rid of the key all together like the newer cars. Won't start unless the key is in a certain feet of the car
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i took out my ciggarette lighter and put one there. in ashtray area

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

Got any pics and does it still require the key?
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i hid my push button starter on my 67 where the cigarette lighter goes.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com