Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Starter solenoid?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Starter solenoid?
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 89gt and about 2 months ago had to replace the starter. I also purchased a starter solenoid because i heard once the starter goes the solenoid isnt far from goin either. So i ddnt replace solenoid till about two weeks when i turned car on and stayed trying to crank while car was already on. Only way to stop it was to disconnect battery and then i swapped the solenoid, everything has been fine since then till today. After getting off work i tried turning car on and bam, got stuck again and kept cranking. So again i pulled battery cable to shut car off. And after about a minute i put cable back on and problem was gone. I was able to turn car on like nothing. Only problem is im nervous that itll happen again and i want to know what can cause this. I will be replacing solenoid again through warrantee just to be sure i get a new one, any idea what can cause this?

New starter
New alternator
New battery

If that info helps [patriot] [dance]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
replace the ignition switch

--------------------
91' Notch

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
replace the ignition switch

Ive read about this. Anyway to test mine out?

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had this happen to me once. I bought a new starter solenoid from Auto Zone and it keep getting stuck every few days. Instead of taking the battery cable off, I just knocked the solenoid real hard for the relay to click back.

I ended up ordering a new Motorcraft solenoid and the problem never came back.

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
I had this happen to me once. I bought a new starter solenoid from Auto Zone and it keep getting stuck every few days. Instead of taking the battery cable off, I just knocked the solenoid real hard for the relay to click back.

I ended up ordering a new Motorcraft solenoid and the problem never came back.

Yeah after work im goin straight to get a good one. Spend a lil more to get better quality

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't buy autocrap parts anymore go to O'Reilly and get a replacement or dealership.

[ 2014-11-21, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Built88LX ]

Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

I did buy from oreillys. Haha

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some of those cheap units are garbage. Yours is getting stuck. What happens is the contacts weld themselves together in a sense and they keep the starter engauged. Replace the starter with a starteer mounted solenoid. This way you can chuck the fender one in the DUMPSTER

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Im just going to try the better motorcraft solenoid and see wha happens. If that fails, cars gettin torched. Haha

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacGrown89GT:
Im just going to try the better motorcraft solenoid and see wha happens. If that fails, cars gettin torched. Haha

You can drop it off at my place if the motorcraft solenoid doesn't work I'll take it off your hands. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

So far so good. Hopefully it fixes problem ahaha, u wouldnt want my car anyway. its a POS

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ford+302+mini+starter

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ford+302+mini+starter

Appreciate the heads up but problem so far is fixed. If fails again i will return solenoid and starter and get mini

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ok went with motorcraft and failed again. So saturday went with bwd and again that failed. Going tomorrow and getting mini starter and new solenoid. If that fails car is going up for sale. POS

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

That is what i suggested. You have to understand all these parts come from the same Vendors

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
That is what i suggested. You have to understand all these parts come from the same Vendors

Yes u did! [patriot]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Good luck dude those new starters are AWSUM

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Good luck dude those new starters are AWSUM

Just finished installing starter about half hour ago. Everything seems good so far. I like the new sound it makes with that starter. Good recommendation! [patriot]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Not my first rodeo that is great. They work so dam good. Those fender units are old school garbage

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com