Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Notching pistons.... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Notching pistons....
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone ever notched their pistons? I need advice and tips on how to do it since I guess I won't clear the stock pitstons with my heads.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check it before going down the route of spending money on something you may not need. There's a lot of factors that go into PTV clearance.

You can check it yourself with some really basic tools ($40 worth).

Check out my build thread. It'll give you an idea of what you need and how to check it. http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=054272#000000

[ 2014-10-24, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im gona leave this here, u never notched pistons, but am going to attempt it?
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:

Yeah. So you're telling me you've built a motor before the first time you built one? Didn't think so. Everyone has a first attempt at everything.

Now I plan on notching my pistons because from what I read online stating that my valves on my heads are too big for the reliefs on the stock pistons. I have not attempted to check my PTV yet because I'm waiting for my head bolt bushings to show up for my heads.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

Yeah. So you're telling me you've built a motor before the first time you built one? Didn't think so. Everyone has a first attempt at everything.

Now I plan on notching my pistons because from what I read online stating that my valves on my heads are too big for the reliefs on the stock pistons. I have not attempted to check my PTV yet because I'm waiting for my head bolt bushings to show up for my heads.

What you read online and reality are usually vastly different. My combo, according to the Intarwebz, should have required notching. But if you check out my thread, they barely made an indentation in the clay. If you need help checking, let me know. I can bring my tools to help you out.

EDIT: Wait, don't you have an '86 shortblock?

[ 2014-10-24, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
quote:

What you read online and reality are usually vastly different. My combo, according to the Intarwebz, should have required notching. But if you check out my thread, they barely made an indentation in the clay. If you need help checking, let me know. I can bring my tools to help you out.

So 2.02 vavles will clear a stock piston? No, I have never had a '86 shortblock.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Afr 185s should clear stock pistons...depends on your cam as well.

But check it with clay. ..

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
Afr 185s should clear stock pistons...depends on your cam as well.

But check it with clay. ..

Yeah I was gonna check either way but it's just that I saw online that the valves were too big for the piston anyways. But I guess maybe that was a myth or something? I'll check it out.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
quote:

So 2.02 vavles will clear a stock piston? No, I have never had a '86 shortblock.
It's possible they'll clear. Really depends on how deep the pistons are in the hole, head gasket thickness, cam specs, rocker arm ratio, cam timing. Sometimes you can advance or retard a cam to gain the clearance you need. It's not a hard and fast rule that a 2.02 intake requires a notched piston.

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

It's a trickflow stage 1 cam and I'm going to use 1.6 roller rockers with 9333 PT-1 gaskets.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have ran edelbrock heads with 2.02 valves, tfs1 cam and 1.7 rockers on stock pistons and it worked fine. I did check with clay first though.

If I remember right I was wanting to move the cam timing but it would not work. Had to be straight up. It was that tight.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
I have ran edelbrock heads with 2.02 valves, tfs1 cam and 1.7 rockers on stock pistons and it worked fine. I did check with clay first though.

If I remember right I was wanting to move the cam timing but it would not work. Had to be straight up. It was that tight.

Well since I'm running 1.6 rockers I hope to have a little more clearance.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a teacher, I was under supervision. I am not a Internet mechanic. I didnt think so. even tho I applaud your thoughts an efforts, good luck. you where having dan build your motor an u want to notch your own pistons? I dont even notch pistons. an yes some 202 valve heads clear stock pistons but u probably havent even clayed them to find out yet, read that up on google first before notching pistons.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Well I built my whole car(I tore it all completely apart, suspension and all) by myself without even a hand to help me drop in the motor or do anything so far. I don't see notching pistons being too hard to do as long as I take my time. But I guess since I was having someone put together a motor for me I am not qualified to even do a oil change since I'm a internet mechanic. And you are right I haven't flayed anything yet because I'm still waiting for a couple parts to come in so I can check it then start it up.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you will clear with that cam, but as you know you need to check first. If you need the clearance I have had friends use the isky tool to notch pistons with success on their 5.0.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cometic has thicker head gaskets if you need more clearance.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
I think you will clear with that cam, but as you know you need to check first. If you need the clearance I have had friends use the isky tool to notch pistons with success on their 5.0.

Well this week should be moment of truth to see if I clear or not. When you guys check do you guys just reuse the old head gasket to check or the new ones? I was planning on using the old head gasket to check PTV.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

read or google up on claying for clearance, then that will tell u what your working with. that's number one. if u have a problem an its noty gona work where notching needs to be done, the clay ass well show u where its gona hit, then u gotta make sure the piston will have respectable room to even be cut in that area, most aftermarket pistons are light which means they remove a lot of material where its not needed, most of the time u can see the contours of the piston from the under side, those are dangerous an not advised to cut, sense your working with stock pistons, and why u would run such a big valve on a stock piston is again odd, regardless those stock pistons are big and heavy and should have alot of material to still be safe to cut, now i take it your gona prob cut the pistons in the block? try not to get the shavings in the ring lands or oil galleries.

no u cant reuse head gaskets, but with out a head gasket u can clay it, then what ever measurement u get add the compressed measurement of the head gasket.
I dont do this because i have my combos figured out before I get that far, an most stock pistons aren't worth moving that much air to need that big a vavle. kinda un matched which come back to proper planning. good luck post some pic of the finished product.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

I understand the claying part and all that I was just unsure if I should use the old head gaskets just to only check PTV so I don't have to mess with the new head gaskets until everything is ready to go. And about unmatched well I got a awesome deal on these heads and the bottom end is only temporary while I build something for a year or two from now depending how long this holds up.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

What do you guys use to clean the carbon off the pistons?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
What do you guys use to clean the carbon off the pistons?

Atf
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes you can use old head gaskets for claying and for cutting the valves.

when cutting use tape across the entire piston to keep metal from getting in the tops of the pistons

use a collar on the cutting tool and feeler gauges so you can keep the depth the same.

I have made a .070 cut in hyper-u-pistons with no problems. 300+ 1/4 mile passes and lots of street driving

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
yes you can use old head gaskets for claying and for cutting the valves.

when cutting use tape across the entire piston to keep metal from getting in the tops of the pistons

use a collar on the cutting tool and feeler gauges so you can keep the depth the same.

I have made a .070 cut in hyper-u-pistons with no problems. 300+ 1/4 mile passes and lots of street driving

Cool, thanks!

Unfortunately I still haven't got to check PTV clearance because I'm an idiot and thought my rockers were stud mount so now I'm going to order some from corral. I like the spring compressor tool though. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Phatboy5.0
¯
Member # 11043

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phatboy5.0  Ford pictures for Phatboy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Neght,u did not built ur car u b on that BS. U notching pistons
Lmfao lern how to b a man fist PUTO.

--------------------
Phatboy

Posts: 224 | From: Menlo park | Registered: Jun 2011  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by Phatboy5.0:
Neght,u did not built ur car u b on that BS. U notching pistons
Lmfao lern how to b a man fist PUTO.

Quit talking like you know shit you ain't even turn a wrench puto. Get off my nuts gorda

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com