Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » not a Ford but I need help...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: not a Ford but I need help...
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2000 chevy silverado 4x4. I've noticed the past few months that I have a noise coming from my engine. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak bcuz I have a couple exhaust manifold bolts broken on the driver side. But listening to it closer the sound, I believe, is internal. So I took it to a dealer to have them take a listen to it, yes I paid 60 bucks, and they said it may be a cam bearing. With the truck idling they unplugged each individual coil pack one at a time and the sound didn't change any pitch at all. What are some suggestions? Change the cam, bearings, etc.? The entire motor? Engine still has great oil pressure. No metal shavings in the oil. BTW it has 190k miles.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remove the a/c belt an see if the noise goes away.the a/c tensioner go bad an rattle on ls series engine's an the belt doesn't go to anything but the a/c compressor.

An all my years I have never heard of cam bearings making noise.

Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am the CHEVY GUY and have never seen a cam bearing make NOISE.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
I am the CHEVY GUY and have never seen a cam bearing make NOISE.

I agree I would go get my money back an go somewhere else.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the noise only in the mornings on start up?
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:
is the noise only in the mornings on start up?

It's a constant noise..

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Remove the a/c belt an see if the noise goes away.the a/c tensioner go bad an rattle on ls series engine's an the belt doesn't go to anything but the a/c compressor.

What about a bad lobe on the cam?

--------------------

Thugnificent

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by hilltim54:
quote:

Yes cam lobe an lifters go bad on those engines.but first remove the drive belts an start it up an see if the noise goes away.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In my years building LS motors i have never seen a flat cam. And i build quite a few of them a month. And i cam one or 2 a week. If you have busted Exhaust manifold bolts you just found you problem!!

[ 2014-10-01, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by hilltim54:
quote:

Yes cam lobe an lifters go bad on those engines.but first remove the drive belts an start it up an see if the noise goes away.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Not happening as the matter of fact some of the early engines had bad lifter rollers worn down and when we removed the cams they were surprisingly in good shape. Nope the LS is not a cam eater. You must be thinking older gens.But anything is possible. But in all the years i have been building LS platforms i am telling you the cams are not an issue normally. And i have seen them with 600K on some with no wear. just saying Some of the LS7 engines had lifter issues not cam issues, But flat cams in an LS is very rare,

[ 2014-10-02, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well first you gotta pop the hood, then step back about a foot or two. Look at the grill, then you'll see the problem. [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Well first you gotta pop the hood, then step back about a foot or two. Look at the grill, then you'll see the problem. [patriot]

Lol good one

--------------------

Thugnificent

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
Not happening as the matter of fact some of the early engines had bad lifter rollers worn down and when we removed the cams they were surprisingly in good shape. Nope the LS is not a cam eater. You must be thinking older gens.But anything is possible. But in all the years i have been building LS platforms i am telling you the cams are not an issue normally. And i have seen them with 600K on some with no wear. just saying Some of the LS7 engines had lifter issues not cam issues, But flat cams in an LS is very rare,

So it could be lifters ? The noise is coming from the top end. I took the main belt (not the ac belt) and the noise was still there, in the top end. I will take them both off when I get home from work and take a listen just to rule out the pullies. Was planning on putting a cam, new headers, new timing chain/gears, etc here soon. Thinking about changing lifters now. . Will 8 run into any other problems with a new cam and headers?

--------------------

Thugnificent

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com