Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Clutch went out all of the sudden.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clutch went out all of the sudden.
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car was driving and shifting fine last night on the way home on my 1990 5.0. This morning on start up I can hear metallic whirling sound and whining while warming up the car. Car shifted fine while on my way to concord, I came to a stop, and it started smoking from the bell housing, pedal became lost some pressure, and now can't get it in gear. I'm baffled on what went wrong? Any ideas or experience with this?

Also what is needed or any tips when replacing a clutch.?

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*
90 Notchback *wrecked and sold*
93 Ex-CHP notchback *Daily driver*

Posts: 558 | From: El Sobrante/Vallejo | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the cable, you may have had it routed wrong and it melted through on the exhaust.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the throwout bearing could be fucked. Or possibly the cable or fork

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm suspecting it would be a throw out bearing as the reason for the sound, cable is routed away from the exhaust.

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SikWiditMke:
I'm suspecting it would be a throw out bearing as the reason for the sound, cable is routed away from the exhaust.

try putting a adjustable cable with firewall adjuster ...that fixed mine, i had noise but adjusted my firewall adjuster and the tgrowout bearing stopped making noise

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

The cable is a Bbk adjustable with a steeda quadrant. Just threw me off guard as clutch never showed signs of wear or depleting life, so gotta check this cable out first..

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

91blackonblack
¯
Member # 11591

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91blackonblack  Ford pictures for 91blackonblack  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If u give me hood itll stop...lol jk look under there tho an see anything out of place an wiggle things to see if anything loose.use a flashlight to look in ur bellhousing too.

--------------------
91blackonblack is banned from this website for good. Vallejo ghetto drama does not belong on CAFords! Y'all need to find a different website. PLEASE! GTFO and take your ghetto shit with you.

ps- ENGLISH DOES MATTER. How foolish of CAFords, we wrote this on our registration page http://oi49.tinypic.com/2akjm7k.jpg but now realize it's useless because the intended audience CAN'T READ, TYPE OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!

His response:

"I just want to say i need some very important info.an the onl way was through a friend to help me find that info.but you guys are some fucking bitches that hide behind ur fucking computer all damn day.you fucking bastards racist piece of shyt.exspecally with that nazi symbol you guys think is koo.fuck you i hope i fuck ur sisters or wife.punk bitches.you guys are fucking haters.an i hope ur fucking website crashes to.god has the last word.an u guys let that piece of shyt 396 get away with murder.an letting everybody get banned because of his shyt talking.i hope he gets his to from somebody.one day he going to say the wrong thing to somebody.fuck u bitches.you mark ass.bye punks"

At least he's consistent with his views!

-----------------------------

91 ssp 306,h.c.i. +v2 blower,suspension
Duncan motorsFTMFTW/F.O.D. FTMFTW
Mr.Quandoe" swang shyt click"

Posts: 1608 | From: the blower yo bitch | Registered: Jan 2012  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If u cant get it into gear then it is not a clutchbdisc issue. Probably a throw out bearing.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

So, after a long day of working on the car from 12pm-10. I've replaced my clutch, pressure plate, and TB bearing. I appreciate all the feed back and tips, but my car is running just as it was before. Went with a cheapo "Sachs" clutch for now, until more fund comes in.

But this is reason for all this trouble, once I removed the bell housing, the TB was in pieces, and little bearings all over!! First for me!
 -

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!] Dayum!!

uh...is it me or do you have backwards windshield wipers??

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
[Eek!] Dayum!!

uh...is it me or do you have backwards windshield wipers??

Exactly what I thought when I seen it!! Nope not backwards, right hand drive 72 mini cooper. [Wink]

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I only run the ford OE alloy tob's for that reason, is that tob plastic?!

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
I only run the ford OE alloy tob's for that reason, is that tob plastic?!

i plan to replace the retainer and TB again! as the TB that came with the kit may be crap or the retainer may be damage from the old one, as it chirps when at idle.!! it was metal so im baffled on how it came apart!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

look on summit for the heavy duty retainer, it's a stronger alloy. Yours was probably damaged when that one blew up.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com