Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog on a 4Cyl conversion car?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog on a 4Cyl conversion car?
Ric88Notch
¯
Member # 11660

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ric88Notch  Ford pictures for Ric88Notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do i go about doing a smog for my 4cyl conversion car?

--------------------
2013 Black GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drive into a smog shop and ask for a smog.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
drive into a smog shop and ask for a smog.

You sure [Confused]

[ August 14, 2012, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Greasy ]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
90GTSleeepr
¯
Member # 9609

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GTSleeepr  Ford pictures for 90GTSleeepr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They won't know Itts a 5.0 conversion- smog machine just asks v8-4cyl

--------------------
Jon Plummer 916-410-6269 aka 90GTSleeepr aka arrowdetail@hotmail.com aka Nicetwiceautoresto@gmail.com Wanted for business scams

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GTSleeepr:

On the title/registration it will say 4 cylinder though....
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Nifty50:
quote:

lol and then FAIL
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
85notch fo-eye
¯
Member # 10637

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85notch fo-eye  Ford pictures for 85notch fo-eye    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've read on other forums that u need to notify DMV that u did the swap and then needs to be inspected and after evrything passes they make like a special vin/label that the put on ur car and ur 4 cyl is now registered as a v8 don't kno how true this is but I kno u won't pass smog if u just drive it up their cuz when the smog tech does the inpection he's not gonna pass it unless he don't care then u might get lucky

[ August 14, 2012, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: 85notch fo-eye ]

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No need to worry, it can be smogged as long as it was done right on the conversion, any conversion can be smogged as long as that motor type was offered in that particular year and body type.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I converted my 4cyl coupe 6 years ago and have NEVER had a problem with smog.

I drive in, hand them my registration, wait 15 minutes and drive back home. JUST LIKE ANY CAR.

but then again, I didn't half ass anything with my swap, I used a donor and everything smog related is exactly like a 5.0 that rolled out of the factory.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 85notch fo-eye:
I've read on other forums that u need to notify DMV that u did the swap and then needs to be inspected and after evrything passes they make like a special vin/label that the put on ur car and ur 4 cyl is now registered as a v8 don't kno how true this is but I kno u won't pass smog if u just drive it up their cuz when the smog tech does the inpection he's not gonna pass it unless he don't care then u might get lucky

That's true if you put a mustang 5.0 v8 into a honda civic, not if you put a mustang 5.0 v8 into a mustang, that was offered with that same engine during the year the car was sold.

I do nothing special for smog for either of my engine swapped mustangs.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT 03 Gt:
quote:
Originally posted by Nifty50:
quote:

lol and then FAIL
INCORRECT.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

85notch fo-eye
¯
Member # 10637

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85notch fo-eye  Ford pictures for 85notch fo-eye    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
Originally posted by 85notch fo-eye:

That's true if you put a mustang 5.0 v8 into a honda civic, not if you put a mustang 5.0 v8 into a mustang, that was offered with that same engine during the year the car was sold.

I do nothing special for smog for either of my engine swapped mustangs.

thanks for the input good to kno
[patriot]

dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pretty much any engine swap for almost any application can eventually be smog legal; given special inspections and approval decals from state ref.
It use to be that that engine had to be offered for that year,make and model.
As things have evolved over the years....it has been for a while now that the state referee can inspect and make approval on any 'otherwise' conversion. Meaning as long as everything is disclosed on the year, make, model engine donor swap and all of those applicable smog equipment devices are not only present on the install but "fully operable." The swap engine cannot be older than the year of the vehicle you are swapping it all into. Ie....fuel injection swapped to Carb.

--------------------
* -DV8- from the just the "norm." *
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Posts: 1221 | From: ~BAY AREA~ | Registered: May 2011  |  :
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have my smog license and if the vehiclehad the option of a v8 as long as all the smog components are on it it will pass smog. No referee needed. Now if you are trying to put a v8 in a car that doesnt have the option from the factory you then need to get it refereed and it must have all the smog components of the year of the engine. you cannot put an older engine in a newer car but you can put a newer engine in an older car.

[ August 15, 2012, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: SacStangDriver ]

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:
I have my smog license and if the vehiclehad the option of a v8 as long as all the smog components are on it it will pass smog. No referee needed. Now if you are trying to put a v8 in a car that doesnt have the option from the factory you then need to get it refereed and it must have all the smog components of the year of the engine. you cannot put an older engine in a newer car but you can put a newer engine in an older car.

^this I converted my mustang 4yrs ago and found a guy that doesnt have a problem with it some smog guys are ignorant so they wont touch it...just go some where else. As stated above my car has all the vacume lines, smog pump, smog equipment charcoal canister....everything you really have to pass smog but i also have C.A.R.B # for all my aftermarket parts too.

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com