Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » What would you do with this

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What would you do with this
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

It's an 89 GT/5spd, all stock, 134k miles, I bought it from the original owner for $500. He claimed the engine/trans/rear end were all rebuilt - they all have pretty fresh looking paint on them in places that would be hard to get to if they weren't removed from the car so let's go with trusting that.

He took it apart about 4 years ago to repaint but got what seems like 90% of the way along and just gave up and left it stored under a car cover at the local base in the hobby shop outside. He mentioned he put the LX hatch/wing on it because the original had some rust around the window.

I bought it hoping it would run, but didn't crank it over before purchase as the oil/gas was all super old. I changed the oil/filter/fuel filter and it fired right up with a new battery. I then flushed the brake fluid and replaced both rear wheel cylinders in the drums because they were leaking.

It runs great, I took it to a local autox last weekend and beat the hell out of it all day long with no problems, didn't run hot, power as I would expect, left 11's all over the ground so the trak-lok is tight, etc.

The brakes still kinda suck despite the pads/shoes looking new - I can only get the rear brakes to lock up under hard braking but not the front.

I bought it to get the 'rebuilt T5' for my notch, so I plan to swap the trans from mine into this either way, mine works fine either way I just would feel better with this one having been gone through more recently and probably less abuse on it.

I'm thinking a basic paint job, maybe `92 ultra blue on top with titanium on bottom for a 2 tone look. It was originally white on top and titanium on bottom 2-tone. I have the GT ground effects to put it back together.

Since the brakes suck I was thinking of doing a junkyard 94/95 v6/gt 5 lug disc all around upgrade.

Do you think the LX hatch/wing will hurt the resale value? I'd rather hunt a good GT hatch/wing down now if so.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you should paint it the original color, unless you're painting the engine bay too.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the same position that you are in but mine came with a auto transmission that needs a
rebuild but I'm doing a 5 speed swap, and also I need to rebuild my engine.
If I was you get a gt wing and LX taillights, paint it the original color white.Do the five lug.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Give it to me for 500 bucks lol.. [worship] [Whoo Whooooo!] i'll finish it for ya

[ 2014-10-23, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A stock car is worth more than a modded car, unless your selling it to a buyer who don't care, or want a modded car.
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd slap some paint on there and drive it and save another fox from the hood
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd get rid of that rear bumper and hatch. Doesn't match.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

CoyoteMaster
¯
Member # 13680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMaster  Ford pictures for CoyoteMaster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id get rid of that front and back bumpers and make it an lx paint it and do a 5lug swap and you should b good [dance]

--------------------
2013coyote_5.0
93mach1(sold)
32vfoxx(sold)
Coyoteswapnotch

CoyoteMaster
¯
Member # 13680

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for CoyoteMaster  Ford pictures for CoyoteMaster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh and add some moldings

--------------------
2013coyote_5.0
93mach1(sold)
32vfoxx(sold)
Coyoteswapnotch

4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would just do a stock repaint and put the correct wing on it if youre going to sell it.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinitzzz  Ford pictures for Chinitzzz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cobra rear bumper

--------------------
1987 coupe -under construction

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd put it up for sale on Cafords. For 5k...Its not wack at all!
Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cobra rear bumper first mod

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com