Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 99+ pistons/connecting rods

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 99+ pistons/connecting rods
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone have a recent issue(within the last 3 months) of the Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords or 5.0 Mustang magazine where it talks about the engines of 4.6L's. It tells us about how the stock short block for the 99+ cars are very weak, and where the piston meets the connecting rod(i think) is the weakest point. And if you are looking to do blowers or nitrous u might want to upgrade. Then it tells us about how D.S.S. how new short blocks for sale, starting with a lil stronger then stock romeo block, then a lil stronger then stock winsor block. Then a lot stronger winsor block, and finallt there pro street winsor block that sells fors $3999.99. I know this article, and want to show my friend it. I just cant find the article in any of my magazines. If anyone knows what magazine, and then what month it is, please tell me.

Thanks a lot!

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords-febuary 2003
hope that helps, it does talk about mix and maching the different 4.6 components

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 4.6L mix/match article is the same one I am talking about. Damn it, When I was first looking for that article about a week ago. I gave him that February issue with the mix/match diff 4.6L parts so he could learn more about his engine, and how blowers on his stock GT could spell disaster. The next day(after he read it, or so he says) he said all it talked about were diff parts you could mix and match. And the article didnt say anything about how his stock GT block is very weak, especially if it is a romeo block. I will have to look at the article myself, just wondering if I was missing something. I looked in every 5.0 and MM&FF magazine from the past 6 months, and couldnt find it. So maybe it is in that February issue, and is that same mix/match article. Thanks a lot man, thanks for helping me out.

Josh

P.S. he wanted to install a blower along with many more bolt-ons. And I wanted him to read that article so he could see how his 99 stock GT prolly wouldnt last too long with a blower and bolt-ons. My choice was for a built bottom end(D.S.S.) and then go with the NOSzle kit out and spray the thing like no other.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe you are looking for "Mods For The Masses"
Febuary issue of 5.0, PG 63.

DSS explains 4.6 short blocks....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the guy read the article and didnt get that 96 to 02 r weak then he must not know how to read or comprihend{sp}it.i new these motors were weak over a year ago when i took my motor apart and did a rebuild with stronger parts.
like a cobra steel crank,billet fly wheel,je forged pistons,manley h beam rods,arp studs and bolts all throughout the motor,canton 7 qaurt oil pan,high volume pump,bigger and stronger valves and springs and p/p the heads.
the pistons that come stock with ur car are shitty as helland they tend to fail with a little bit over 350rwhp if that.dont get me wrong some people have better luck then others but the short block of the 4.6's r built cheap. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Maybe you are looking for "Mods For The Masses"
Febuary issue of 5.0, PG 63.

DSS explains 4.6 short blocks....

Hey man thanks, I will have to look at that issuse also.

quote:
Originally posted by 4.6 EATIN GM'S:
if the guy read the article and didnt get that 96 to 02 r weak then he must not know how to read or comprihend{sp}it.i new these motors were weak over a year ago when i took my motor apart and did a rebuild with stronger parts.
like a cobra steel crank,billet fly wheel,je forged pistons,manley h beam rods,arp studs and bolts all throughout the motor,canton 7 qaurt oil pan,high volume pump,bigger and stronger valves and springs and p/p the heads.
the pistons that come stock with ur car are shitty as helland they tend to fail with a little bit over 350rwhp if that.dont get me wrong some people have better luck then others but the short block of the 4.6's r built cheap. [Big Grin]

Yes, that is what I told my friend. He wanted to put a supercharger on his car, along with many other bolt-ons. I figured, MAF sensor, TB, supercharger, and injectors was a little much for his stock 99 GT. So that was why I was having him read the magazine. So he could see how weak his shortblock was. Like I previously stated, I told him rather then spending $4000 on a supercharger(was the price he told me) spend that money on a built bottom end. Then do as he pleases knowing he wont have to worry about his pistons falling apart.

Thanks a lot everyone, and 4.6 EATIN GM'S how much hp do you think your current set up can handle. I am very impressed(all though I would go with ProCharger, LOL).

Josh

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it is rated to hold 750 hp or so.i got some good shit in there, so hopefully it will hold up especially when i hit it with the bottle [Big Grin]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

quote:
it is rated to hold 750 hp or so.i got some good shit in there, so hopefully it will hold up especially when i hit it with the bottle [Big Grin]

Yea really, I think I would want him to upgrade the connecting rods though(to billet, or something was able to be upgraded to billet!) So that way there is absolutly no chance of the bottom end ever going out. My plan for him (if he listens to me, or takes my advice) was to buy the DSS short block. Then buy a Pro-M MAF along with 24lb injectors. Accufab TB, 1 5/8 long tubes with 2 1/2 Dr. Gas X pipe then Borla mufflers with turn downs. And the final engine mode, (besides electronics) would be the Holley NOSzle nitrous kit and spray and 300 shot. That is just what I would do. Oh yea, I would also use the AFM N/A power pipe.
Just thought that would be a nice car. Becuase when he is not using the nitrous, the car can run a lot like stock, and still get good gas milage. Then racing time, he has a 300 shot [Eek!]
What do you think 4.6 Eatin GM's?

Josh

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

sounds like a plan!basically dss did the same thing i did but i did it about a year bfore them.
but from the combo u r sayin it sounds like it should be a runner.my advice if he does a motor and not supercharging it i would up the compression to about 10.5 or so,thats what i did. [Big Grin]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

u know who else knows about 4.6 motors is i think this is how to say it (99ujstlst)hit him up for some input he seems to know his shit.
his name i javier
[patriot]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

quote:
my advice if he does a motor and not supercharging it i would up the compression to about 10.5 or so,thats what i did. [Big Grin]

Yes but of course, Corvette Z06's compression are 10.5:1 stock. If it were I, I might even consider 11:1, but it ultimatly comes down to him. He might want to keep the the compression down to 9.5:1 (or whatever stock on these 4.6L's are) just so that during the week he can run on 87 no problem. Is there anyway to adjust the amount of nitrous/fuel injected into the engine with the NOSzle system from inside the car? DOES ANYONE KNOW? 4.6 EATIN GM's when your car is complete, please oh please let me come by and look at it. I'll try and bring my friend so he can maybe somewhat copy you (if that is ok).

Josh

Bullitt3905
¯
Member # 905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt3905  Ford pictures for Bullitt3905    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i've already gone through one block cuz of those crappy bottom end parts, threw a rod at 15K miles.

--------------------
2001 Mustang Bullitt #3905
SR springs, koni orange, steeda sts, magnaflows, 18" Bullitt wheels, grille delete, chin spoiler, 03 cf hood, JLT sri

Posts: 1067 | From: citrus heights, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

if u want u can come by sometime before i put the motor in and once its in u can come by,i aint trippin.i can also give u anymore info in u want.
just say the word and we can meet up.
chris [patriot]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com