Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » SN95 or foxbody racecar...pros & cons

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SN95 or foxbody racecar...pros & cons
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I'm finally getting close to finding my ideal track car and I'm looking for advice on which platform to get. I have two cars lined up: 1989 AI foxbody with full Maximum Motorsports and a 94 Cobra AI-wannabe (was building it for AI competition) with full Griggs suspension.

Both cars are similarly built though they do have their differences:

The foxbody has a built 306 with HCI while
the cobra still has the stock bottom end with HCI.

The SN95 has is aero mods (ie: TALL carbon fiber wing, vented hood, vented fenders, etc.) while the foxbody is in stock LX trim.

The SN95 has StopTech front brakes while the foxbody has Cobra R Brembos.

Both cars have the usual race gear: full cage, race seat, gutted interior, etc. etc.

I'm a huge SN95 fan but this car is priced ~$1000 more.

I'm also a big Maximum Motorpsorts supporter (loved how it ran on my 98 FALEEN) so thats a plus for the Foxbody.

What would you guys consider a better car for the track?

Foxbody vs. SN95
Maximum Motorsports vs. Griggs
HCI 306 vs HCI 302
NASA/SCCA legal vs. NASA wannabe
$1000 more vs. $1000 less

Opinions please... [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what class do you plan on running in CMC or AI.
check your welds closely even with a log book I have seen bad welds.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont plan to race in any class right now. I don't have the funds or time to compete. My intentions for finding an AI or CMC car was because they are typically well sorted out with proper safety equipment.

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, I think this is a no brainer, but I haven't seen the cars. The SN95 has a better brakes and aero for $1000 more. That is a steal. Plus it's easier to fit big rubber under the SN95

Griggs vs MM, it's a toss up. How you setup the car is far more important than whether you choose A47, MM, or Griggs.

Built 306 vs stock bottom end 302, not much difference here. My stock bottom ended 302 served me well. Neither of these motors will be optimum in AI if you want to go that route. A 331 is a better choice. I always felt my car was little underpowered, it made good peak #s and had great area under the curve but a 331 just has better area under the curve.

I would have the cage and seat mount on the SN95 checked to see if it is NASA legal. Those can be expensive items to fix.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Tim, thanks for yor input! I was thinking you'd say the opposite being that you raced an AIX foxbody. The SN95's motor puts out 275rwhp and the foxbody's puts down 305rwhp. Its a good amount of hp loss on the sn95 BUT the sn95 weighs less. He said it was weighed with 1/2 tank of gas @ 2750 lbs and the foxbody was weighed @ 2900 lbs dry. So essentially the hp to weight ratios are about the same.

The SN95 does have some aero which is a plus. It actually has Ernesto Rocco's old hood from his red AIX sn95. I'm leaning towards this car as well but still want to make sure that I won't be needing to upgrade much to make it NASA AI legal if I move towards that direction.

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Is it true that the sn95 chassis is built better than the Foxbody?

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Is it true that the sn95 chassis is built better than the Foxbody?

They are a stiffer. Once there is a cage it doesn't matter.

[ 2013-12-04, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks for that confirmation, Troy. I assumed they'd be equally rigid if they both have a similar cage.

I know some of you guys have ran the Stoptech and Brembo brakes and i'm wondering what pads these setups use? I assume they're not the standard cobra pads, right? How does price differentiate between the brembos and stoptech pads? What about calipers? Do these brakes run the standard 13" cobra rotors?

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brembo's use cobra rotors not sure on the stoptech.

Pads will all cost about the same for good pads.

I run hawks ht10's and like them on my 14" alcons

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd spend the extra money on the SN-95....again you get what you pay for. You are getting so much more imo

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
I'd spend the extra money on the SN-95....again you get what you pay for. You are getting so much more imo

Thanks Greg! I know you love those StopTech brakes...what does a set of rotors and pads run you compared to standard cobra brakes? Also, where do you get the replacement rotors for the 2-piece design?

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:

Thanks Greg! I know you love those StopTech brakes...what does a set of rotors and pads run you compared to standard cobra brakes? Also, where do you get the replacement rotors for the 2-piece design?
Honestly haven't checked yet, the brakes are lasting longer than I expected. That's how good these brakes really are.

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Once you go to a 2 piece rotor, replacement rotors are cheaper than I piece as you are not replacing the hat. They are not hard to find. They are also lighter. Good rotors are not cheap no mater what caliper you run.

Good pads for any combo are going to cost about the same. The last set of hawks I bought were around $200 for front pads. I buy pads from Porterfield, they will give you a discount for being a NASA member.

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As far as maximum motorsports vs Griggs goes the antidive geometry built into the Griggs k member is less than desirable when braking during cornering or coming into a corner hot and using the brakes, i actually spoke to Mike Croutcher the driver for MM and he said he usesd that flaw to pass griggs cars because he could come into the corner faster and pass them coming in the corner. The antidive binds the suspension from compressing when the brakes are used and they tend to lock up in a corner and it will cause the inside tire to develop bald spots also

[ 2013-12-10, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-0768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you go with Griggs car I'd thoroughly check for stress cracks on the tourqe arm mount points, the front control arms and the k member.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks for the input. There's a little dilemma at the moment: the guy with the sn95 called me this past weekend saying he no longer wanted to sell the car. I was waiting until after Christmas to buy it, but he said he is planning to keep it for now. We'll see once I revisit the offer after Christmas.

I did hear about Griggs parts failing, but that really goes hand in hand with the abuse all these suspension components go through in race environments. He did say that the TA was repaired years ago due to stress cracks, but its definitely good to know these things.

Like I said, I wish the sn95 had the MM stuff because that would be the best of both worlds for me, but I'm still going to check out the Foxbody since the sn95 seller is still on the fence about letting it go.

I'll update you guys on what I end up getting (if any).

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Over the weekend I made the jump and got the 89 AI foxbody. Although I wanted the sn95 more and was willing to pay the extra cash, the owner didn't want to let it go. I could have waited around in hopes that he would sell it to me in a few months, but that would mean I would possibly lose out on the opportunity to buy the 89 foxbody.

So after thinking it over, I decided to get the 89. I was able to work out a screaming deal on it and couldnt pass it up. Check out my other post for pics and details. http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=059744;p=1#000000

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback. See you at the track [patriot]

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice toy. Keep us posted on how the car feels.
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Nice pick up dude, can't wait to see it this year!

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Nice pick up dude, can't wait to see it this year!

Thanks Greg! Will you be out having some fun in February?

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com