Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » My First track experience! Pic inside

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My First track experience! Pic inside
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This past weekend I got to experience my first Track Day at Thunderhill.! I now understand why people are so hooked and dedicated so much time and money towards it. I had a blast and must admit it was one of the most challenging things I've ever done. There is just no comparison in my eyes when it comes to track vs drag vs street driving, each one is rewarding in its own way. Then again to each his own.
I'll be the first to admit that I got my ass handed to me by a buddy of mine who drives a S2000! On the front straight I would pull from him but when the turns came up he'd eithier be right with me or pass me up. I learned a lot about my car corvette and recommend every check it out, even if it's just to ride along with others.
The cars ranged from Miatas, to Audi S4's, to S2000's, to new 5.0's, to Corvettes, GTR's, and even a R8!

My car will be back out there soon with some tasteful mods for sure. Take a look at how my rear tires looked like at the end of the day!

-

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad you finally see what all of us track junkies are talking about! Gives you a new persepective on how good these little miatas and other small japanese cars perform on a REAL race track, doesnt it [Wink] I hope to see you out there soon...I'm trying to make it out at the end of the month to Sonoma in my new bucket [dance]

-

-

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
now you are addicted. welcome to the club.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went out there and i was hooked. IMO, Its the most fun you can have in a car. I haven't been to a drag strip since.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great RALPH go buy a gayass miata and race that shit

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2T0NE:

Hey hey hey, c'mon now! Gay, I agree. Fun to drive, hell yea! Gotta try one at a REAL race track before you doubt them [Wink]

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
I went out there and i was hooked. IMO, Its the most fun you can have in a car. I haven't been to a drag strip since.

Robb, I know you've been talking about building a spec miata. Sell you mine for a great price if you want to jump on a great platform! Its already SM legal but will need a couple of upgrades to meet current rules.

--------------------

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2T0NE:

I'll stick to tracking my Corvette, sorry.

--------------------

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've always wanted to do a road course. How many miles did you get to race?

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wait until you try a motorcycle track day.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you have to drive home on that tire too?

Anyways, congrats on the track day and welcome to the addiction!
Btw, Miata's are no joke on a road course, especially when they pass you [burnout]

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
I've always wanted to do a road course. How many miles did you get to race?

I highly reccomend you try it out. I'm not for sure how many miles exactly but let's see. We ran 20-min sessions at the top of every hour from 9-am to 5pm with a one hour lunch. I believe ThunderHill is 3 miles or so long. Each laps is about 2 mins. So you'd get 10-12 laps per session for 8 sessions which equals 80-96 laps pending how fast you are!

--------------------

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:

Btw, Miata's are no joke on a road course, especially when they pass you [burnout]

Definently not! I swapped my wheels before leaving. My buddy trailers his car so he was nice enough to bring up my spare set. Next year I'll be trailering my car to all the events myself. Miatas are no joke.

--------------------

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FRC_Kid:
This past weekend I got to experience my first Track Day at Thunderhill.! I now understand why people are so hooked and dedicated so much time and money towards it. I had a blast and must admit it was one of the most challenging things I've ever done. There is just no comparison in my eyes when it comes to track vs drag vs street driving, each one is rewarding in its own way. Then again to each his own.
I'll be the first to admit that I got my ass handed to me by a buddy of mine who drives a S2000! On the front straight I would pull from him but when the turns came up he'd eithier be right with me or pass me up. I learned a lot about my car corvette and recommend every check it out, even if it's just to ride along with others.
The cars ranged from Miatas, to Audi S4's, to S2000's, to new 5.0's, to Corvettes, GTR's, and even a R8!

My car will be back out there soon with some tasteful mods for sure. Take a look at how my rear tires looked like at the end of the day!

-

[patriot] [patriot]

Damn, we have been planning for this forever, need to make time to make this happen!

Shoot me a text next time you are planning to head there, I'll bring along a few friends also.

Glad you had fun
[patriot]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:

Definently not! I swapped my wheels before leaving. My buddy trailers his car so he was nice enough to bring up my spare set. Next year I'll be trailering my car to all the events myself. Miatas are no joke.
Please refer to this thread for all your miata needs.
http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=037548;p=

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It looks like you need to add some negative camber to the IRS. Why does that look like a Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial?

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
It looks like you need to add some negative camber to the IRS. Why does that look like a Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial?

Corvettes don't have an IRS. You are correct! They are MT radials. I picked them up with the spare set of wheels from another track junkie and he assured me that since it was my first time to just run it how they were. Surprising enough the tires performed well once heated up. Now I'm looking at getting RS3's or Nt-01's for my next track day here which will be real soon

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It depends on the number of run groups, and the number of sessions but usually figure on 125-150 miles of track time per day.

The comments about Miatas are typical of people who haven't driven a race prepped one on a track.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Corvettes don't have an IRS. You are correct! They are MT radials. I picked them up with the spare set of wheels from another track junkie and he assured me that since it was my first time to just run it how they were. Surprising enough the tires performed well once heated up. Now I'm looking at getting RS3's or Nt-01's for my next track day here which will be real soon
im sorry my friend corvettes do have a independent rear suspension.. all good.. what organization did you run with?
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by Mach916:
quote:
quote:

im sorry my friend corvettes do have a independent rear suspension.. all good.. what organization did you run with?
I guess I was thinkin in reference to a Cobra IRS. I get what you are saying hahaha. I ran at the Black Trax event. No particular organization, just a shop held event. Next year I'll be running with whoever so long as it's the cheapest. Hoping for 5-10 track days in 2014.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com