Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Taking my "Drag" car around Thunderhill

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Taking my "Drag" car around Thunderhill
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What a blast. This was my 2nd time at Thunderhill. I went last year for this event as a guest and went back this year as a member of CFRA. I switched to Hawk HP Plus pads, but the 11" Powerslots combined with drums just doesn't cut it with a full weight street car with lots of power. It was still a lot of fun, but I can't use near as much of the straights accelerating as everyone else. The brakes held in longer than last year, but I can't wait to do a 5-lug conversion and get better rubber on the car and Cobra Brakes.

I had five 30 minute sessions and put over 150 miles on the car on the track, plus another 240 miles on the street to drive there and back.

Here are two laps on the GoPro. My cousin is going along for the ride in these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74mul99Hp0I

This next one is from my cousin’s Contour camera that he set up to show the gauges so we could get my speed. My GoPro filled the memory card so this is the only footage I have of those laps. Check out what happens when my brake pedal goes away and I can’t slow down enough for Turn 9. This was the 5th session and nobody was on the track so I decided to screw around a little coming out of Turn 11 in 2nd where I am usually in 3rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb53z3taetE

The next video is from my buddy's camera in his Boss 302. I sure would love to drive that car around the track and see what it is capable of. You see my LX in some of his footage. I want that track app!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbYXWHM7xqw

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking smooth! Your car sounds very healthy as well. What tires were you running? What clubs is CFRA? I have to make my way out to the track soon...

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Checkered Flag Racing Association. A couple guys I work with invited me to attend an event. I like the point-by passing so I don't have to worry about anyone running into me!

Tires are 225x50-16 BFG G-force T/A's on the stock Pony's up front. 275x40-17 Nitto 555 street tire on 17" Pony R's on the back. I want to put 255x40-17's up front if I can and go to NT05's all the way around when I switch over to 5-lug and Cobra brakes.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good. I wish I could get out there more. After seeing this, maybe I should not sell my car. LOL. plus im not asking much, so I guess ill keep it and do more of this.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

I wish I could do more. It is just too expensive. For now, once a year will have to be it. I'll try to go more after I get the car set up better with Cobra brakes and better tires. I hate having to worry about how long my brakes are going to last. The more I spend on track days the longer it will be before I can get the brakes, wheels, and tires.

I love how much seat time I get in the car. I was actually feeling sorry for the poor car after I abused it so much! I was flying around that track for almost 2.5 hours! For $179, that was a great deal. It just gets expensive when you add in the gas for the track and to get there and back along with the hotel. I just can't spend $400 very often to do it. Not to mention the extra car maintenance.

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com