Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » What tires????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What tires????
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I'll be having my first real track day at Thunderhill before the years end. I'll be running BFG KDW2's. I'm asking are these sufficient for a newbie at a track day? Sizes are 275/40/17 and 295/35/18 on my C5. Any tips from you guys will help a lot...

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those tires will do fine.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those will work great.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't want any more tire than that for awhile until you learn to dial in your car as it sits (assuming you have stock Corvette brakes and suspension).
Learn the track, your car and yourself for awhile first then progress to tires etc. Don't be in a hurry to be the fast guy out there either, trust this.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a NASA instructor once tell our group that he used to buy used tires from the junk yard for trackdays! True story.

The reason behind it was because shitty tires taught him how to drive well. He was able to figure out how his car would react when at the limits when his tires weren't as sticky as most would like. Once he progressed throuogh the HPDE ladder, he then moved on to "good" tires.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the info fellas! I'm pump for my first Track day!1

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and if it rains, you'll be surprised how well a car can actually handle on a wet surface

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
and if it rains, you'll be surprised how well a car can actually handle on a wet surface

If you're lucky it will rain....seriously. I learned more in one day in the rain than any other, by far. And it was at Laguna Seca. I spun once in 11 since it was a nice slow turn so I pushed the envelope a little [burnout]

Thunderhill you have a ton of run off but since its your first time don't push it, just work on the line and smoothness. Have fun and let us know how it went....

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:

If you're lucky it will rain....seriously. I learned more in one day in the rain than any other, by far. And it was at Laguna Seca. I spun once in 11 since it was a nice slow turn so I pushed the envelope a little [burnout]

Thunderhill you have a ton of run off but since its your first time don't push it, just work on the line and smoothness. Have fun and let us know how it went....

Will do!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com