Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » fiberglass body panels for track car?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: fiberglass body panels for track car?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone use fiberglass body panels on their track car? I'm not necessarily talking about fenders or hoods as these are commonly used to reduce weight on various cars, but I'm referring to fiberglass hatch/trunk lid, doors, quarter panels, etc. Does anyone use them? Are they safe to run on a track car or do you think the safety from OEM metal panels is better? Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never used them and don't really see a benefit unless your very competitive and/or on a race team. It will take weight off for sure when you do the whole car but only a really good driver will be able to tell the difference. I'd only do it if the car came with it, I started a race team or I had a lot of extra funds.
A nice benefit is the ability to go a lot wider for wheels which will help cornering a lot when you do the quarters.
You're not going to see a difference in safety between the two materials, just make sure you have the cage to back up a crash if you're going that route (a no brainer).

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the input Greg. I definitely wouldn't spend the money to do it myself. Its on a car I'm considering that already has the fiberglass panels on it.

What about the latching mechanisms and such? I'd assume that the doors and hatch would require some kind of pin locks (like hood pins) to secure them at high speed?

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interesting question. I have thought about this. I am a for fun racer, but i have wanted to lighten up the car, plus with wider fenders more tire is always nice.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lets see my 65fastback weights 2500#. fiberglass fenders, doors, hood, trunk, front apron, and bumper.
and 16X12 CCW wheels

[ 2013-09-11, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: acmikee ]

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know I've never really noticed the latching mechanisms on fiberglass doors and such. I'll have to check myself next time out

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

I talked to the owner and got some clarification on some things:

The doors swing open/close using srock hinges but are locked shut using pins similar to hood pins. The rear hatch (foxbody) also uses stock hinges to open/close and has two latches on each side that secure the hatch shut. The car also has Maier front fenders and rear quarter panels which are riveted on. Sounds like the panels should be pretty secure for the track the way he has set it up.

On a side note, he mentioned that he removed the front and rear bumpers. He has the bumper covers mounted on the car but wanted to reduce weight for auto crossing so he removed the actual bumpers underneath. I'd assume that it's essential to reinstall the stock bumpers if I were to take this car on a race track, right?

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a rear bumper but no front bumper. The front bumper doesn't fit with a custom nose.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
I have a rear bumper but no front bumper. The front bumper doesn't fit with a custom nose.

Do you have anything in place that acts as a front bumper or do you feel that its not necessary?

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not sure about not necessary but believe, at the speeds we run at, it wouldn't be of much help.
331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this your new track car your talking about ...
Posts: 226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
I'm not sure about not necessary but believe, at the speeds we run at, it wouldn't be of much help.

That's exactly what the owner said. I just figured having at least stock bumpers would be better than nothing, but+I do realize that a 100+ mph collision will tear the car apart regardless of what kind of bumper is attached....so i hear ya Steve!

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 331SVO:
Is this your new track car your talking about ...

No, not my car. Although it is a possibility...

--------------------

331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice I got my self a new track car but its work in progress for now waiting and saving for parts
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Nice I got my self a new track car but its work in progress for now waiting and saving for parts

Nice! What'd you end up getting?

--------------------

331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

2014 5.0!!!!! 6 speed manual no options except for brembo package ! It handles well despite the massive amount of body roll
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
2014 5.0!!!!! 6 speed manual no options except for brembo package ! It handles well despite the massive amount of body roll

Sweet congrats! I'm definitely not going for a top dollar car for a track toy lol. Mine will be a cheap beater that I wouldn't mind tearing apart and abusing!

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

If you're looking for a car, a friend is selling his Miata. It's still street legal but more setup for the track. He's selling his trailer as well.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
If you're looking for a car, a friend is selling his Miata. It's still street legal but more setup for the track. He's selling his trailer as well.

Steve. please PM me details and price! [patriot]

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think I am back on the "I am going to sell my car kick.' but for around 5500 now I think
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com