Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » racing brakes (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: racing brakes
fast305s
¯
Member # 11897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fast305s  Ford pictures for fast305s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the best bang for your buck when ot comes to a street/track brake setup for sn95s? Im tryin to hit the twistys with out losing the brake pedal after a few miles.

--------------------
Built, not bought.

95 mustang gt
73 f-100
06 powerstroke

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cobra brakes are great! No need for Brembos or StopTechs unless you're racing.

If you want pads for the twisties/streets, then you won't want to get "race pads." Race pads take higher temps and a longer time to actually "work." Street pads will work even when cold. The main difference is that when you get to higher temps (as seen on the track), you'll want race pads because they won't fade/lose braking power.

If your intentions are just to hit the twisties, I'd recommend you NOT get race pads and get some decent Hawk HPS or HP+ pads.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can get some 4 piston wilwdood brakes for about the same price as some cobra brakes.... Or try aerospace, top notch pieces. Baer Brakes and also griggsracing has some nice brake systems

[ December 11, 2012, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: ILLMNRD86 ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ILLMNRD86:
You can get some 4 piston wilwdood brakes for about the same price as some cobra brakes.... Or try aerospace, top notch pieces. Baer Brakes and also griggsracing has some nice brake systems

Cobra brakes can be had for about $400 used if you don't already have them on your car...I doubt there are any 4 piston setups for that price.

--------------------

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by ILLMNRD86:

Cobra brakes can be had for about $400 used if you don't already have them on your car...I doubt there are any 4 piston setups for that price.
You can get the wilwood 4 piston calipers for 170 a piece or less... u just have to know where to look..
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd go for the Cobra pbr calipers too if you don't have them already.
They can't be beat for the price and the pads are really easy to change from street to track.
Used them many years before upgrading to Stoptech's and they are more than adequate and inexpensive to maintain. Many CMC mustangs use them for full race and even a few AI guys use them still.
$170 for Wilwood's is ridiculously cheap and I'd really have to question the quality of that particular model. I know that some Wilwood's need the calipers rebuilt when changing pads and that is not fun when changing pads on a regular basis.
The season is coming up so get that mustang ready to have some fun in 2013, lots of track events to choose from [dance]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go with a set of hawk pads and flush your system and put in a high temp brake fluid and use good braded lines (less flex)
fast305s
¯
Member # 11897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fast305s  Ford pictures for fast305s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good honest input. Thanks guys, I appreciate it. [patriot]

--------------------
Built, not bought.

95 mustang gt
73 f-100
06 powerstroke

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Cobra brake setup is quite good and don't just look at the cost of the calipers. Check the price and availability for replacement pads and rotors.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
fast305s
¯
Member # 11897

[ December 11, 2012, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: fast305s ]

--------------------
Built, not bought.

95 mustang gt
73 f-100
06 powerstroke

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go for Cobra brakes as everyone has said. I got a SMOKING deal on my Alcons and that is why I have them. Although my car doesnt see street use, there are many people in the Shelby Club that open track their cars and have the cobra set up
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

There is no such thing as having too much brake and if you can afford it, I highly recommend BREMBO GT set up like the one I installed on my 2001 Cobra.

-

I'm currently working on a brembo brake system for the cobra
IRS and once I finish fabricating all of the brackets, my 2001 cobra will be sporting Brembo 4 piston calipers, 2 piece rotors and a brembo parking brake in the rear.

Once everything is done, the rear of my Cobra will look like this:
 -

[ 2013-04-14, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
quote:

There is no such thing as having too much brake and if you can afford it, I highly recommend BREMBO GT set up like the one I installed on my 2001 Cobra.

-

I'm currently working on a brembo brake system for the cobra
IRS and once I finish fabricating all of the brackets, my 2001 cobra will be sporting Brembo 4 piston calipers, 2 piece rotors and a brembo parking brake in the rear.

Once everything is done, the rear of my Cobra will look like this:
 -

That's definitely a nice and pretty setup you have there, but do you actually use it ??? Do you track that car and use up all that braking power? Of course it'd be nice to have more, but when its really not necessary why not save your money for something else?

One major flaw of that pretty setup that you have are the drilled rotors. Those don't hold up well on the track...fact.

Post videos of some track sessions with those awesome brakes of yours...

[ 2013-04-14, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
There is no such thing as having too much brake

Maybe but you don't want to get too carried away with the front brakes and not do something with the rear brakes. You can throw off the front/rear braking balance and cause trouble with some ABS systems.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sydewaysix quote:

"but when its really not necessary why not save your money for something else?"

Why not?

Well, its interesting that many Eroupean and Asian auto enthusiasts run the big Brembo Gran Turismo brakes in the front and rear of their Porsche, Mitsubishi Lancers, BMW's Mercedes AMG's while 90% percent of the Mustang crowd run cheap brakes and spend the money else ware.

I always wanted my Cobra to have the exact same high end Brembo GT brake system that you would normally find on Ferrari, Lambrogini and other high end cars and that is a big reason why I installed a Brembo GT kit in the front of my Cobra and why I am currently building a custom Brembo GT brake set up for the Cobra IRS.

There are advantages throwing away the stock Cobra IRS brakes and installing a brembo GT system.

From some racers who find the rear stock mustang brakes inadequate

"Cobra rear brakes absolutely SUCK for a race car! Heavy calipers, expensive pads, fast wearing, poor release. They almost parked the car after a race. Made it very difficult to more the wheel. "

"MM developed these IRS brake kits on our own American Iron racecar because we found the temperature of our standard Cobra rear rotors exceeded 1,200 degrees at the end of a track session. Once we installed this kit our rotor temperatures were reduced to less than 900 degrees, and the rigid four-piston caliper greatly improved brake pad life and pedal feel by eliminating taper wear of the pads."

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks for the quotes...but I'm looking for real world input from people who actually use the brakes. I understand that real racers could and should have bigger and better brakes, but for the normal hpde guys like myself and most on this board, cobra brakes are adequate enough.

Now back to my question, do you even track your car or is it a garage queen/dyno racer?!?

--------------------

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

quote:
Thanks for the quotes...but I'm looking for real world input from people who actually use the brakes.

I don't see how its possible for me to drive my cobra and not use the brakes? [Confused]

Weight is another thing to factor in when choosing a brake system. My 2001 Cobra convertible wieghs around 3700 pounds and that is a lot of car to try and stop. Way back in 2000 when Ford introduced the 2000 Cobra R mustang to the media at Firebird raceway, one the Cobra R's that was driven hard all day long experienced a brake failure.
After learning about the Cobra R brake failure, the days of the stock PBR system on my cobra were numbered.

I hear it over and over again on all of the mustang boards " don't waste your money on a big brake system, just upgrade the pads, change the fluid and you will be fine."

I dont buy into that.

here is a 2001 Cobra rotor that has failed under hard abuse

-
The Brembo GT rotors on my Cobra are so thick that they hit the stock tie rods, so I had to run a bump steer kit just so the rotors would clear and since the Brembo GT rotors are thicker than what you will find on the front of a F250 super duty truck, I dont have to worry about a brake failure.

By the way, I find it unacceptable that a Mercedes station wagon comes with better brakes than a mustang. [Mad]

[IMG][/IMG]  -
 -

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

I rest my case. I take it you're one of those guys who probably has 5k miles on a car with $50k+ worth of mods on it. You seem to have no real world TRACK experience with the said topic, so your opinion means nothing. Carry on with your bad ass car oh great one....chime back in when you actually test it out on a real race track! This is the ROAD RACING forum after all...

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To the OP, if you can round up some cobra's front and rear they will be more than adequate till you get to TT or w2w racing. I tracked gt brakes quite a bit and just changed pads and rotors often. I think it was beneficial as I am very easy on brakes and pads last me a long time.

On my AI car now are 14" alcons that I cut down the mount and rotor to 13.8" and now fit in 17" wheels. I run hawk ht10's. the rear is cobras with autozone pads. I put them on wondering how long they would last. Bean 20 days at the track and they are in great shape. My car is 3000 lbs with me in it. I have a proportioning valve. It is adjusted so the rear gets full pressure. My car stops well and seams to be balanced under braking.

I had a factory five racer I was pitted next to come over and talk to me about my brakes as he could not believe how deep I could go into the corners after I passed him. I am not that fast but I have good brakes.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cobraracer46, I don't think you've ever tracked even a shopping cart at Safeway. Until you bring a car out I don't think you should be regurgitating quotes without going on track.
You have too many damn holes in your rotors right off the bat unless your just cruising around a circuit somewhere (not likely).

Ever since the 2000 Cobra R cooked it's brakes your PBR's were numbered! What do you care, you're never on track to find out if that's even possible.

That station wagon you speak of above is a little more than a grocery getter. Amg has taken ahold of it and turned it into an Autobahn cruiser with some serious get up and stop.

The Cobra PBR's are more than adequate to the OP. There good enough for me, cmc, open trackers, the street, and even guys in AI and time trials.
They have there limitations but if used properly which means broken in and cooled, there fine; especially for the new open trackers.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:

The Cobra PBR's are more than adequate to the OP. There good enough for me, cmc, open trackers, the street, and even guys in AI and time trials.
They have there limitations but if used properly which means broken in and cooled, there fine; especially for the new open trackers.

You are right, The PBR do have limitations. On my old 87 GT with BR brakes that I open tracked and my 2001 Cobra with the stock PBR calipers, I had to rebuild the calipers more than once because of dust boots melting.
[IMG]  - [/IMG]

Another station wagon that comes from the factory with better brakes than a mustang; A 2004 Volvo V70R with 4 Piston Brembo calipers in the front and rear right off the showroom floor [Mad]
[IMG]  - [/IMG]

Another bit of info that influenced my desision to throw away the stock cobra brakes and install the Brembo GT kit on my 2001 Cobra

Shedding the light on fading brakes

[ 2013-04-15, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The OP's question was about 'bang for the buck' brakes. That pretty much rules out his interest in spending $3k plus on a brake setup. I don't think that anyone will doubt that the high dollar brake kits are great, but on a 'bang for the buck' topic, they are unrealistic.

I would rather spend a few hundred on a brake system and spend the balance of the budget on actually going to the track and beating on the car. Spending thousands on a bright shiny brake setup for a garage ornament car is a waste.

Take your junk to the track and give us some real world feedback about your Eurotrash brake setup [Big Grin]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
The OP's question was about 'bang for the buck' brakes. That pretty much rules out his interest in spending $3k plus on a brake setup. I don't think that anyone will doubt that the high dollar brake kits are great, but on a 'bang for the buck' topic, they are unrealistic.

I would rather spend a few hundred on a brake system and spend the balance of the budget on actually going to the track and beating on the car. Spending thousands on a bright shiny brake setup for a garage ornament car is a waste.

Take your junk to the track and give us some real world feedback about your Eurotrash brake setup [Big Grin]

Thank you! [worship]

Cobraracer46 has all the latest and greatest parts on his car but probably has never even taken a fast turn in it! All this internet readibg, he said she said bullshit is retarded. Talk to us when you actually put in some real track time! And I'm not talking about on your PS3 console either [dance]

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cobraracer or cobraneverracedit you do realize you are posting pictures of a 100k merc? umm when did a mustang ever cost 100k new? not to mention that is not a stock benz that is an AMG, not the point though. Point is that car is made for European road with European speed limits. you are trying to compare apples to gold bars. makes sense though, seems legit... said no one ever.

Please take your car to the track. Most preferably when I am there so I can see you break a rotor. drilled rotors are for the birds if you are consistently on a track, but you seem to be able to search the internet and post nonsense better than me.

Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is an excerpt from the fading brake article linked above.

"Since the rear brakes play such a small part in this, there would be little gain in upgrading them."

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com