Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » First Track Day yesterday at Thunderhill

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: First Track Day yesterday at Thunderhill
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What a great first track day. I went up Sunday night and stayed at the Baymont where there were a bunch of other CFRA drivers. Traffic was light so it only took 2 hours and 10 minutes. I thought it was going to be a wet weekend so it is possible that I was over the speed limit on 29 trying to take advantage of some dry twisties. We made it up there early enough to walk over to the pre-event dinner at Round Table. It rained Sunday night and Monday morning so my car was a muddy mess after driving through a dust storm on the way, but luckily the rain stopped on the way out to the track and my group had a dry track all day. It rained during our lunch break for a few minutes, but the track dried quickly.

I had a complete blast. I could have gone a lot quicker if I had some decent brakes, but it was quick enough to have a lot of fun. I could also use some better tires up front and probably a little more negative camber, but there is no reason to make it any faster around the corners until I can stop it. I have no idea what a decent time is for a newb, but I was in the 2.3X seconds by my 3rd session and then I think my best by myself (with my cousin in the passenger seat) was a 2:29. I only watched a little bit of video last night though and timed the laps from that, so there may have been a quicker one but I doubt it. I had runs with better lines but they were interrupted by having to slow because of brakes or to give a point by. I think that the 2:29 was the quickest though because I was moving pretty good chasing an early blown Z06. That car was fast. We were pretty even on the straights, but I had to let off way early. I would start gaining some ground on turn 2 but he was a little quicker overall. What a blast!!!

This is the way I picture doing a track day. The point-by worked great and with less than 20 cars on the track, there was not much traffic. No stress, just a lot of fun. I put 150 miles on the track and went through 21.5 gallons of gas. I started a couple sessions a few minutes late while I was waiting for my mentors to get ready, but that was okay. I did three mentored sessions and then two on my own with my cousin as a passenger. The third mentor was great and in that session with the extra speed the brakes started to fade. They actually held up a lot better than I thought though. I just started using the straights as brake cool down areas instead of WOT areas. After a couple laps, I told the mentor that I could smell the brakes and I didn’t want to push it too much. He said, “That is good for them. They are happy!” The dude was pretty funny. He was really impressed with the power and I had a lot of people telling me how good it sounded out there.

I definitely still need to work on getting the right line, but I felt pretty good about how it all went. It felt so good coming out of 12a that I was staying on it too long and could not get slowed down enough. I kept going into 14 too hot and too early and it would just push the front end and I would be way off line. It was still a blast though.

I'll try to pick a lap from my 2.5 hours of footage and put it on youtube. I am sure it would be a lot quicker if I spliced together 14 different laps using the best turn from each, supposing I got at least one different turn right per lap, but that would be too much work! LOL!

I wish I had the funds to do this more often and equip the car properly for track days, but it will have to wait. I also need to convince the wife that this hobby will not kill me. Based on how she responded when I got home, she must have really been worried. For now, once a year will probably have to do.

Craig

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AWESOME! I am glad you had a blast. Thunder hill is a great track. I was in the same situation as you after the first weekend, lackof brakes. I bought some huge ones the monday after. LOL. Having a good mentor makes a big difference also. I tell people that they will be addicted as soon as they go one session. Also glad the weather stopped so you could have a good time.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome review of your first event! Post pics and videos if you have any. If you had this much fun I doubt you'd be able to just once a year [Razz]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The photographer was only there until lunch. I wish he was there later when I started running a little quicker.

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web121022/093/index.html

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice pics. Gotbluemilk always does a good job. I love thunder hill. Hope to see you out with shelby club next year
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

My lines weren’t the best on these videos but they are the most fun to watch since there is another car in them. I kept turning in too early on a lot of them, like 4 and 14, oh and probably most the others! It sure was a blast though. The different mentors gave me different lines, so I need to go back out without anyone in the car and just try a few different variations and see what my car likes the best. Next time I will start out slow and just try to get smoother, find the line which probably means turning in later on many, maybe starting wider on 2 and 3 and work my way in slower, and then gradually add speed. I need to make sure I slow down more for 11 and 14 but maybe try 1 and 8 a little faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM_ripVifgE
GoPro Footage chasing a Porsche starting at the blind Turn 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTOKhlj3Ltg
GoPro Footage giving an early blown ZO6 the point by and then chasing him. Video starts at Turn 5 again. I wish I could stay on it longer but I need brakes. I hit 120mph on the front straight and then lifted. You can see how much longer someone with good brakes stays on it. They go way passed the flagger before they lift and I lift way before. Most of the time I was shutting down even earlier at 110mph.

Overall, I don’t think this was too bad for a drag racer taking his drag car around a road course!

Craig

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

I have noticed that turn 1 is tricky. every time I think I can go faster I start to slide more than I am comfortable with. Turn 8 is the left hander going back up the hill? I take that fast and run off to the right up onto the curb that is there and I always come close to going into the dirt where the curb ends. I love that turn.

you seem to have good lines. I can tell you have a lot of power on the straights. Brakes will make a difference I think. I know I am full power until I start the down hill into 14 then I get on the brakes and I am in 5th going through turn 1 usually. good job. It is such a rush isnt it?

[ October 24, 2012, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: DEVERO2 ]

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You did really well for a first track day. Maybe turned in a touch early on a couple of turns but nothing ridiculous. Your gear changes seemed to be smooth and didn't upset the car.

The only criticism I would make is on the position of your hands. Try to use the 9 & 3 positions on the steering wheel. In an oh shit situation, you would be able to turn the wheel more without having to move your hands (which you wouldn't have time for).

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice runs! Love the commentating too [Big Grin] Out of curiosity, what tires are you running? You're definitely pushing them close to the limit from the way it sounds!

On a side note, What settings are you using on your gopro? My videos have been coming out all washed out (too bright) lately and I can't seem to find the proper setting [Mad] Mine is mounted in my harness bar.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

SteveL, I did notice that with my hands. I do need to hold the wheel closer to 9 and 3.

Devero, 5th in Turn 1? How freaking fast are you going there? I didn't want to go too fast and have to brake so hard for Turn 2. I have 3.55's in the back so 4th will do 125mph. I have a TKO 500 so my 5th is .68 OD. I did use it on the straight a couple time when I was just crusing and giving my brakes a break. I was going to try 2nd going into 11 to get me slowed down more, but it would have spun very easily if I gave it too much thottle coming out. It has quite a bit of power in 3rd all the way down to 40mph so I never went to 2nd.

Ian, I have 225x50-16 BF Goodrich G-force T/A's on the front, but I don't think they make that tread pattern anymore. They look a lot like the Nitto 555's I have on the back. The rears are 275x50-17's. I got the PonyR wheels for the back that look just like the stock Pony's but they are 17x9 instead of 16x7. I couldn't find a decent street tire bigger than a 225 that would fit on my 16's. I want to get matching 17's for the front and get some 235 Nitto 555's but I don't want to invest any more into this until I switch to 5-lug and go with a real brake kit. The only problem is that this will be way down the road. It will be a big expense because I have c-clip eliminators onthe back with Strange axles. I'll have to weld 9" ends on the housing and switch to custom axles and find a brake that will work. Then I need all new wheels, including a couple for drag tires. Right now I have 3 sets of rear wheels, one with street 555's, one with 555R drag radials, and one with ET Street Bias Ply tires.

As far as the GoPro, use mode 5 for in the car with center metering and make sure that you point the center of the view is pointing out the window. If the mirror or the dash is in the center of the screen, it will set the lighting for that which will brighten up the cab and make it way too bright out the windshield. With it set to point outside, the cab will become dark. I have the LCD backpack so it makes it easier to set up. Mode 5 is 1080P and has the narrowest field of vision. I think it is a 127 degree lense instead of 170 degrees or something like that. It is funny how well the sound picked us up talking and didn't get the tires screeching as much as they were.

Below is what my cousin said who was in the passenger seat and thought it was slow when he was outside watching. He changed his mind after being in the car.

"I love the videos! The GoPro sure picked up our voices better then I thought. With our helmets on, I was having a hard time hearing with the wind noise and screeching tires but the GoPro picked it up perfectly. I wish I wasn't so loud now. The GoPro doesn't get the outside sounds as well as I could hear them though. Between the engine sound, wind noise and screeching tires, I couldn't hardly hear but the GoPro made it sound like we could carry on a casual conversation. It must clip the microphone down somehow with an auto adjustment or something. We needed a g-force meter on the screen so you can see how much you were pushing the car. You don't realize how fricken fast those speeds are in the video compared to being in the car!

When I was watching the speedo on one of the laps, it seemed like I was looking at the tach because of it rising and falling so fast. You were going from 60mph to 90mph in and out of the turns in a split second!"

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

LOL I have 4.10s so I am out of gear at the start finish, plus I noticed that it kept the car settled a little more going through turn 1 at lower rpm. as i am coming into 2 i down shift to 4rd and stay in 4th until I am flying up towards 5 then down to 3rd through 6 then up to 4 until down shift to 3rd going into 10 and through 11 then back to 4th and pedal down all the way up over the hill under the bridge then into 3rd through 14 and 15. here is my car

-

[ October 24, 2012, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: DEVERO2 ]

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Sweet!

I would love to get my car set up so I could stay on the throttle longer. It did better than I expected though. After all, it only has 10.5" rotors on the front and drums on the back! I have also added a lot of weight so it is up around 3400lbs and we had two of us in it all day.

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

ass in seat time is better than any mod I think. the smoother the faster. now you have me wanting to take my car out to a track. No can do until the wedding in april. gotta save money.
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Yeah, I will probably have to wait until the kids are out of college. They are only 6 and 9 years old now so it will be a while!!

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

I get out 3-4 times a year now. I am hoping to get out more. Just try to make one weekend a year. or 2.
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Yes, ideally I would make it out to 1 event at T-hill and one at Sears Point per year. I am only 45 minutes from Sears Point, so it will be cheaper to go there as far as gas and hotel goes. I think my brakes would hold up better there as well, but those walls kind of scare me!

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Sears point is a slower more technical track. as for cost I think thunder hill is cheaper for track time and hotels usually.
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
Yeah, I will probably have to wait until the kids are out of college. They are only 6 and 9 years old now so it will be a while!!

Hold on a minute here cage!!!!!

Why the hell did you go out and get a case of poison ivy on purpose just to scratch it for 6-9 years?

On another note, great lines, looked very smooth, good transitions but like said above your hand position leaves no room for quick recovery.

[burnout]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

I do hope to do one to two events a year. It really depends on if I can get my wife to approve it. I don't want to have to sell the car to pay for the divorce!!

Devero, the track cost is more at Sears Point, but I don't have to get a hotel since I live only 35 miles away and it will take less gas to get there and back. Overall, I think it will be cheaper. I did do a 20 minute Hyperdrive there with NASA last year. Well, lets call it 15 minutes since they had so many cars on the track.

I really liked CFRA with less than 20 cars out there. By the 3rd session, I only had to give a couple point-bys.

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Oh that makes good sense LOL

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com