Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » SCCA "American V8 Super Car" Series?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SCCA "American V8 Super Car" Series?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wanted to see if anyone knows anything about the SCCA race class "American V8 Super Car." I was talking to a racer, Smitty, who races for this series and he hyped me up to try and get me to work my way up to race with them. My dream/goal if money and time permits, is to run NASA's AI/AIX series, but Smitty made the American V8 Super Car series sound like its much better. Any input and info on this?

*I'm nowhere near "race ready" but I'd like to set myself up to get ready for it one day... [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy Alan has been racing in that class for about a year and he loves it. He has a 88 lx hatch that he built for it. Let me know if you have any ?'s and i can ask him, hes not a member on here.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydewayzStan:
My buddy Alan has been racing in that class for about a year and he loves it. He has a 88 lx hatch that he built for it. Let me know if you have any ?'s and i can ask him, hes not a member on here.

I dont really have any specifc questions about it. I kind of just wanted to know how it compares to the NASA AI/AIX series.

--------------------

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that im not sure of but i'll ask next time i see him

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
iron50
¯
Member # 11231

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for iron50  Ford pictures for iron50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call Darrell. from American V8 Super Car I have his # good friend of mine [patriot] call me tomorrow

[ October 01, 2012, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: iron50 ]

--------------------
You mama

Posts: 2025 | From: san pablo cal | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ Darrell Anderson?
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
^ Darrell Anderson?

Yes. Darrell Anderson is the head of this series I believe. i dont know the guy, but the gentleman I met at the track on Saturday, Smitty, gave me his number so I can call him. I'm not serious about it right now, but it'd be nice to have a comparison between the SCCA American V8 series vs. NASA AI/AIX series.

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not to dampen your spirits but this is some of the Hardware running 700RWHP race motors you'd be up against in the V8 SuperCar series...  -

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the body on
 -

-

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

What crashing a 700HP beast looks like afterwards...
 -

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by BIzKitBrAIn:
Not to dampen your spirits but this is some of the Hardware running 700RWHP race motors you'd be up against in the V8 SuperCar series...  -

Well thanks for that bubble bursting image [Razz] ...no, I knew my car in its current trim wouldn't stand a chance against real race cars (nor would my newbie driving skills), but I really just wanted to know how they run their program compared to how NASA runs AI/AIX.

On a side note, isnt there a weight to power ratio for each car? Regardless if a car has 700hp, wouldnt it need to weigh a lot more to fall into the class rules?

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
Well thanks for that bubble bursting image [Razz] ...no, I knew my car in its current trim wouldn't stand a chance against real race cars (nor would my newbie driving skills), but I really just wanted to know how they run their program compared to how NASA runs AI/AIX.

On a side note, isnt there a weight to power ratio for each car? Regardless if a car has 700hp, wouldnt it need to weigh a lot more to fall into the class rules? [/QB]

I'm sure there a weight restrictions Darrell would be the best to talk to here is some incar footage from Darrell's car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcbI-00lQJk&feature=plcp

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From the 2010 rule book....

E. Minimum post race weight with driver and Hp will be a 6:1 ratio.

I didn't see how they measure Hp. It's usually RWHP as measured by a Dynojet.

You'd have to do a detailed comparison between SCCA V8 and Ai/AIX but it appears to be a big step up from CMC.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to run up front it will take 700 hp. 12 inch slicks that only last a weekend. Fuel cell is required.

There are guys all over the place power and performance wise running AV8SS. If you run with them there should be somebody to race with.

I would suggest staying with NASA to get a comp liscence. Then the SCCA will recognize it. The SCCA has a comp school once a year at thunderhill in march. It is 3 or 4 days long.

Smitty is a great guy. His car is a CMC car and is having fun running with AV8SS.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
If you want to run up front it will take 700 hp. 12 inch slicks that only last a weekend. Fuel cell is required.

There are guys all over the place power and performance wise running AV8SS. If you run with them there should be somebody to race with.

I would suggest staying with NASA to get a comp liscence. Then the SCCA will recognize it. The SCCA has a comp school once a year at thunderhill in march. It is 3 or 4 days long.

Smitty is a great guy. His car is a CMC car and is having fun running with AV8SS.

Hey Troy! Yes, Smitty does seem like a cool guy! From what he showed me and explained about his car, it's a pretty basic setup with an H/C/I and some MM parts...definitely nothing like those monster Cortex cars. I wouldn't even try racing those guys hahaha! I find it crazy (in a good way) that Smitty runs his car up against those 700 hp+ shop cars ....maybe he was trying to get me to go that route so he can have some 'low hp' competition to race ??? [Big Grin]

Realistically, I doubt I'd ever get that serious about racing since I don't have the money or time to go out as frequent as these guys...but it is definitely something to look into "if" I can somehow win the lotto and not work again [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:

You'd have to do a detailed comparison between SCCA V8 and Ai/AIX but it appears to be a big step up from CMC.

CMC would most likely be more up my alley if I were to actually race, but I heard you can't even have coil overs, phb, or torque arm??? Anyone know if that's true? If so, that DQ's my car right off the bat. [Frown]

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:

CMC would most likely be more up my alley if I were to actually race, but I heard you can't even have coil overs, phb, or torque arm??? Anyone know if that's true? If so, that DQ's my car right off the bat. [Frown]
Yeah CMC is pretty limited in mods you can do, kinda like SCCA A-Sedan. I also believe in CMC you are limited to stock brakes and only 16in wheels

[ October 01, 2012, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: BIzKitBrAIn ]

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CMC cannot run coil overs or a tq arm. Shocks and springs are open but everything has to be stock after that. Panhard is allowed. 275/45/17 RA1's are the spec tire.

[ October 01, 2012, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
CMC cannot run coil overs or a tq arm. Shocks and springs are open but everything has to be stock after that. Panhard is allowed. 275/45/17 RA1's are the spec tire.

Ahhh maybe that's A-Sedan that I'm thinking that is limited to a 15/16in wheel/tire combo

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FYI...

Join us Wednesday, October 17th at Thunderhill for an open track day organzied by the American V8 Supercar Series (AV8SS). The AV8SS TrackTopia pace car will be there along with competors from this exciting production based V8 race car series. Everyone is welcome on this open lapping day regardless of the car you drive, as long you've had more than 10 track days at Thunderhill.

Details:

• Six 30 minute sessions

• Two run groups: those with lap times of 2:05 or better and those higher than 2:05 (you must have a miniumum 10 track days at Thunderhill)

• $180 per driver, includes breakfast and lunch

• To register, RSVP via email to eric@tracktopia.com or dappci@gmail.com

• Gates open at 7:00am, breakfast in the clubhouse at 7:30am, drivers meeting at 8:30am, track goes hot at 9:00am

We hope to see you there!
Eric Diamond

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
FYI...

Join us Wednesday, October 17th at Thunderhill for an open track day organzied by the American V8 Supercar Series (AV8SS). The AV8SS TrackTopia pace car will be there along with competors from this exciting production based V8 race car series. Everyone is welcome on this open lapping day regardless of the car you drive, as long you've had more than 10 track days at Thunderhill.

Details:

• Six 30 minute sessions

• Two run groups: those with lap times of 2:05 or better and those higher than 2:05 (you must have a miniumum 10 track days at Thunderhill)

• $180 per driver, includes breakfast and lunch

• To register, RSVP via email to eric@tracktopia.com or dappci@gmail.com

• Gates open at 7:00am, breakfast in the clubhouse at 7:30am, drivers meeting at 8:30am, track goes hot at 9:00am

We hope to see you there!
Eric Diamond

That sounds like fun! Too bad I haven't ran t-hill 10+ times yet.
[Frown]

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

If you are interested Ian, send Eric an email and tell him your experience. He may let you run. He used to be involved with HOD and is running his own track days now.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
If you are interested Ian, send Eric an email and tell him your experience. He may let you run. He used to be involved with HOD and is running his own track days now.

Hey Troy, I didn't realize this was on a Wednesday...I'm in between jobs and can't take any days off right now (plus I'd be scared to run with real race cars [Razz] ). Maybe if it were at Sonoma where I'm more comfortable and know the track better. What's the organization called? I'll look into it for upcoming trackdays!

--------------------

331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow 2:05 or below thats flying at thill those are the big dogs for sure
Posts: 226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com