Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » **Pics up!** Nor-Cal SAAC @ Sonoma 8/4 (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: **Pics up!** Nor-Cal SAAC @ Sonoma 8/4
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I Finally had a chance to run with Nor-Cal Shelby club at Sonoma Raceway yesterday for their Mini Nats events. Like last year, tons of very nice cars! AC cobras, Shelby's of all years, every late model Cobra you can think of, and more! Definitely lots of eye candy. I was a bit upset about the no-passing zones (in any turn!), but it was ok I guess. I also wish it was a little more organized as far as track times. There was no set time for each group to come on track like other organizations I've ran with. They were on schedule to have a cold track by 4:30 and they stuck to it...even with all the accidents and black flags throughout the day. This really cut into some groups' track time.

I ran in the green group, which I was hesitant to do since it was just one level down from the blue/race group. Like SteveL once told me, these guys run at slower speeds...and it was true! First session out I was stuck in traffic behind a bunch of "fast cars." By my last two laps. Finally got through the crowd and had a little solo fun lol! I didn't even use the cool down lap to cool down since my car/tires/brakes didn't even get a chance to warm up yet.

In my next three sessions I tried to start closer to the front of the pack to avoid the herd. This definitely made my experience much better! There was a group of Hooked on Driving instructors that were running corvettes....and they were fast! I let their pack of Z06's pass me each time and then continued by my merry self through the track [Big Grin] . My tires were sliding all over the place but i was still able to maintain composure and try out some new techniques. All in all it was a pretty good day.

Will I run with them again...yes, most likely. It is defintely fun running with cars of the same type, but I expected to see a lot more action going on.

I'll post my pics and videos once I get them uploaded [patriot]

[ August 06, 2012, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a good time Ian . Hopefully I can make it out there next time
Posts: 226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Overall, Nor-Cal Shelby Club is a good group of people. It is fun to run to a bunch of similar cars. It's also helpful to see and talk to other people on what modifications they did that works and what doesn't.

The downside is there are a lot of vintage Shelby's in the club that are worth tens maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars so the passing rules are strict, maybe too strict. Usually blue group, if there is one at an event, is full track open passing.

I'll run two events per year with Shelby Club but after having gone through the NASA ranks, I really prefer open passing.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 331SVO:
Sounds like a good time Ian . Hopefully I can make it out there next time

Definitely bro! You should've came out! Not sure when I'll be running with Shelby club again (probably not Neil next year) but I'll let you know.

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
Overall, Nor-Cal Shelby Club is a good group of people. It is fun to run to a bunch of similar cars. It's also helpful to see and talk to other people on what modifications they did that works and what doesn't.

The downside is there are a lot of vintage Shelby's in the club that are worth tens maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars so the passing rules are strict, maybe too strict. Usually blue group, if there is one at an event, is full track open passing.

I'll run two events per year with Shelby Club but after having gone through the NASA ranks, I really prefer open passing.

It's definitely fun running with other pony cars! I enjoyed running on track with my little 260 rwhp cobra against $70k+ 500+ rwhp shelby's....it really makes me appreciate my car that much more knowing that it can hang with these high hp/high $$ cars [Big Grin] .

I did chat with a few guys out there and everyone was really friendly. My buddy came out with me in his little Miata and he had a blast as well. Being that it was his first time on track, he was really slow trying to get a feel for his car and the track. Even with all his faults, 3 spin outs [Eek!] , no one talked down on him. [Big Grin]

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah my group (red group) had a few problems last weekend. Other than that I also had a blast and I got my time down to 2:08. I had a blast. there were quite a lot of nice cars also
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:
Yeah my group (red group) had a few problems last weekend. Other than that I also had a blast and I got my time down to 2:08. I had a blast. there were quite a lot of nice cars also

I saw your car out there but never saw anyone standing next to it. I was parked just down the way from you.

--------------------

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was there Sunday as a spectator, and I have to say that that was the saddest Mini Nats ever! Less than half of the normal turnout. Mini Nats used to be limited to Ford or Ford powered only, even with open registration it was a small event.

Still a good event and some really nice cars. Other than the poor guy who totaled his SN95 on Sunday - ouch. I heard there were a couple wrecks on Saturday. Wrecks are rare with Shelby Club, but goes to show you that things can still happen out there, even with the more conservative clubs.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
I was there Sunday as a spectator, and I have to say that that was the saddest Mini Nats ever! Less than half of the normal turnout. Mini Nats used to be limited to Ford or Ford powered only, even with open registration it was a small event.

Still a good event and some really nice cars. Other than the poor guy who totaled his SN95 on Sunday - ouch. I heard there were a couple wrecks on Saturday. Wrecks are rare with Shelby Club, but goes to show you that things can still happen out there, even with the more conservative clubs.

What color sn95 wrecked on sunday? I only saw a few sn95's there on saturday...sucks nonetheless [Frown] . On saturday there were a bunch of black flags and a few wrecks that I recall as well. There was a newer GT500-KR that wrecked in the red group, a Porsche, and at least one other one. It was a prety busy day for the tow/medical crew.

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:

I saw your car out there but never saw anyone standing next to it. I was parked just down the way from you.
I was sitting under the canopys most of the time.
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

quote:
quote:

What color sn95 wrecked on sunday? I only saw a few sn95's there on saturday...sucks nonetheless [Frown] . On saturday there were a bunch of black flags and a few wrecks that I recall as well. There was a newer GT500-KR that wrecked in the red group, a Porsche, and at least one other one. It was a prety busy day for the tow/medical crew.
The SN95 that crashed was a blue with yellow wheels and a yellow roll cage. The KR that crashed had street tires on the front and Hoosier Drag radials on the back. I dont know what he was thinking, but it wasnt the right way to think. I am glad no one got hurt, and I wonder how that passed the tech inspection. As for the turn out, there were no where near as many cars there Sunday as there was Saturday. I think 153 cars were signed up Saturday.
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

SydeWaySix one of these days we will get to meet LOL
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
quote:

The SN95 that crashed was a blue with yellow wheels and a yellow roll cage. The KR that crashed had street tires on the front and Hoosier Drag radials on the back. I dont know what he was thinking, but it wasnt the right way to think. I am glad no one got hurt, and I wonder how that passed the tech inspection. As for the turn out, there were no where near as many cars there Sunday as there was Saturday. I think 153 cars were signed up Saturday.
I was pitted right across from that car! I actually remember seeing it for sale on Craigslist sometime last year...not sure if he's the new owner or if it just never sold, but either way that's very unfortunate. I'm glad to hear he was ok. Do you know what happened and in what turn he wrecked?

Yes, wie will definitely meet up one day. Do you ever run with any other clubs?

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Here are some pictures I 'borrowed' from gotbluemilk.com [Wink]

-

-

-

And my buddy in his Miata...Another one hooked on the track pipe [dance]

-

-

-

--------------------

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The blue and yellow SN95 slid into the tire wall hard at 3B, according to the track PA. I was sitting in the car, under full course black flag, so I saw nothing of the incident. Driver was ok.
kerry's 50
¯
Member # 9266

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kerry's 50  Ford pictures for kerry's 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much is it to run your cars out there? Can i bring my almost stock 94 gt out there? I've always wanted to run on a track like that.

--------------------
R.I.P 96 GT
1994 Gt sold
1989 Notch sold
1989 Notch sold
1994 GT/Cobra clone in progress-sold
1988 ssp 306 h/c/i soon to be charged

slowmach
¯
Member # 10099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slowmach  Ford pictures for slowmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That was my first event and im totally hooked! I want to get my mach 1 ready for t hill. I saw that miata spin out in turn 11 I believe. I want to say I was told it was $250 per tag per day. So for like beginners like myself id be in yellow group and only do out for one day. Some guys out there had multiple tags for both days. Up to like $1000. Definitely a thrill!

--------------------
[04 MACH]

Posts: 252 | From: pittsburg ca | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by kerry's 50:
How much is it to run your cars out there? Can i bring my almost stock 94 gt out there? I've always wanted to run on a track like that.

This particular event was about $300. There are other clubs/organizations that host trackdays for less (sometimes as low as $120) but they most likely are not on a weekend or at Sonoma. Yes, you can bring anything out there, stock or modded, as long as you pass the tech inspection and have the required safety equipment.

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by slowmach:
That was my first event and im totally hooked! I want to get my mach 1 ready for t hill. I saw that miata spin out in turn 11 I believe. I want to say I was told it was $250 per tag per day. So for like beginners like myself id be in yellow group and only do out for one day. Some guys out there had multiple tags for both days. Up to like $1000. Definitely a thrill!

It's definitely addicting! What color is your Mach 1? I don't recall seeing very many sn95's or new edges on Saturday. Did you run in Yellow or just rode as a passenger with someone.

Yes, my buddy spun his Miata in T11 and T4...he said he's still trying to get used to the car lol!

As for pricing, this event was about $300 for me as a non-member. Some people had multiple "tags" because their cars were probably being driven by multiple people in different run groups. Usually you only run in a single group though.

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The blue and yellow SN95 slid into the tire wall hard at 3B, according to the track PA.

I wasn't there but the story I heard was the car owner let a very experienced driver friend drive the car in one session then he drove the next session. He didn't make one lap.

Remember there is a learning curve. Just because someone can show you what the car can do doesn't mean you're ready to drive at that level. You need to crawl then walk before you're ready to run.

[ August 07, 2012, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was pitted right across from that car! I actually remember seeing it for sale on Craigslist sometime last year...not sure if he's the new owner or if it just never sold, but either way that's very unfortunate. I'm glad to hear he was ok. Do you know what happened and in what turn he wrecked?

Yes, wie will definitely meet up one day. Do you ever run with any other clubs?

I want to run with other groups but never have. The car was coming out of 3a and lost it, went off track left,. then back across the track into the tires facing backwards on the track.
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

I also "borrowed" a couple pictures. Here they are

-

-

-

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great to see all these new people to the sport lately.

As stated by Steve L above, that is the Shelby club in a nutshell. If you want to have better passing rules you need to try other clubs. In general though a good group of people with many high dollar real Shelby's and rare mustangs.

Car is looking good as always Ian and I need to get out soon, I got an itch to scratch at Sears Point soon no doubt.

Devero2 car looking good too, like the black wingless with Saleen's combo

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Great to see all these new people to the sport lately.

As stated by Steve L above, that is the Shelby club in a nutshell. If you want to have better passing rules you need to try other clubs. In general though a good group of people with many high dollar real Shelby's and rare mustangs.

Car is looking good as always Ian and I need to get out soon, I got an itch to scratch at Sears Point soon no doubt.

Devero2 car looking good too, like the black wingless with Saleen's combo

Thank you.
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats DEVERO2

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com