Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Anyone Using a Detroit TrueTrac?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone Using a Detroit TrueTrac?
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just wondering if anyone was running a Detroit (Eaton) TrueTrac dif on the road course? I just found a piece of spider gear on my drain plug when I drained the rearend. I still have to take it apart to find out if that is a new chunk from my 31 spline "Cobra" T-lok or if it is left over from my 28 spline that I chewed up the spiders in. I cleaned the hell out of the rearend though, so I am afraid it is new. If so, I think I need to get something stronger is time. I primarily drag race, but I plan to take this thing on the road course as well.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Torsen diffs do not hold up well to hard launches. A detroit locker would be a better choice, but they are a handful on the road course for beginners. The trac-loc is the best choice for a dual purpose car imo, the only downside will be frequent rebuilds.
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On the upside, rebuilding the Traction Loc is pretty straight forward and parts aren't *too* expensive.
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got my TKO back in the car so now I need to take the cover off the dif and inspect it. I sure hope this piece is old. It is $250 to replace the spiders and get the carbon fiber rebuild kit, which is the same price as an all new carrier. If I stick with the T-lok, I will add a friction disc and alternate the steels and frictions and shim it tighter so it will be less prone to 1-leg, which should keep the spiders living longer.

Working on the dif is a major PITA now because I have the Strange C-clip elims on the car. It will take much longer to remove the carrier now than before, and I will have to get new gaskets every time for the c-clip elims and clean and replace all the silicone. What a mess! I need to put the 9" ends on my housing.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i love my tru trac, beat the shit out of it almost everyday for the last two years with no issues at all.

--------------------
91' Notch

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com