Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Road racing/ autocross question!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Road racing/ autocross question!
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey how's it going fellow caford members. I hardly post over on this subject but I have slowly started seeking interest in road racing so I deff wan't to give it a try and learn how too properly setup this type of vehicle since I have always been into drag racing. Dont get me wrong I love drag racing still but road racing looks so fucken sick! So I currently have a 2001 GT 5spd that I would like to setup for this. What performance parts will I need and what suspension would you recommend. I know MM is the shit and have heard nothing but good things for them. But for sure first thing I'm going to do is just get out there and try it then start ordering some goodies. Any advice or feedback will be highly appreciated. I know sidewaysix will chime in soon [Big Grin] [patriot] Thanks.

[ July 07, 2012, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: ISP89LX ]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll give my 2cents...make sure your tires are in good condition, brakes are good, and all fluids are fresh. I'd recommend changing your brake fluid to some high temp racing fluid like Motul. Other than that, get a helmet and get your car inspected.

As long as everything on your car is in good condition there's no need to start modding your car for the track. Run whatever you have!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
I'll give my 2cents...make sure your tires are in good condition, brakes are good, and all fluids are fresh. I'd recommend changing your brake fluid to some high temp racing fluid like Motul. Other than that, get a helmet and get your car inspected.

As long as everything on your car is in good condition there's no need to start modding your car for the track. Run whatever you have!

That's the info I was lookin for Ian. Thanks for your advice bro. I deff wanna get out there and give it a try.

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ISP89LX:
quote:

That's the info I was lookin for Ian. Thanks for your advice bro. I deff wanna get out there and give it a try.
Anytime bro! If you have any other specific questions just hit me up and I can try to answer them as best as possible. There are actually a bunch of real road racers on the site who have given me great advice since I've been hitting the track. I've learned a ton about racing but still not nearly as educated as most these guys who've been racing for years, but I can tell you what I do know. I'm be heading out to sears point on August 4th to run with Shelby club. You should come out and check out what it's all about!

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Anytime bro! If you have any other specific questions just hit me up and I can try to answer them as best as possible. There are actually a bunch of real road racers on the site who have given me great advice since I've been hitting the track. I've learned a ton about racing but still not nearly as educated as most these guys who've been racing for years, but I can tell you what I do know. I'm be heading out to sears point on August 4th to run with Shelby club. You should come out and check out what it's all about!
+2 on Infinion in august. I will be out there also in my 2002 GT if you want to check it out. I started in my car and it was basicaly stock. Make sure you love it before you start spending the money on the mods. Make sure everything is in good working order, and have a good time.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
quote:
quote:

Deff will Ian thanks for your reply and advice bro. [patriot]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start out with a full safety check, all fluids changed, everything up to par. You can have a lot of fun with a totally stock car. Just get out there, learn how to drive, car control, braking, racing lines, etc. You can always add more speed later.

Open tracking is more expensive than auto crossing, but I prefer open track because of the amount of time you have on the course. Get out there and have fun!

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+2 on Infinion in august. I will be out there also in my 2002 GT if you want to check it out. I started in my car and it was basicaly stock. Make sure you love it before you start spending the money on the mods. Make sure everything is in good working order, and have a good time.
[patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's an autocross at marina airport in Monterrey this month on the 29th hosted by the American auto x. I will be there let me know if you're interested
Posts: 226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

I'll try my best to make it, I doubt I will because I still need new tires and a clutch at the moment so just waiting on some extra funds. If things work out for me I will deff shoot you a pm and set something up. [patriot]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
I'll try my best to make it, I doubt I will because I still need new tires and a clutch at the moment so just waiting on some extra funds. If things work out for me I will deff shoot you a pm and set something up. [patriot]

Believe it's too late to sign up for the Shelby Club event anyway. You'd need to register and pay online ahead of time for trackdays...not sure if any club allows same day registration but typically you'd want to sign up ahead of time and get your tech inspection completed.

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its not too late to sign up for infinion. I believe you can sign up day of event.

nor-calsaac.org

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I finally have my TKO fixed and back in the car. I will continue to drag race, but I really want to hit the road course this year and see how it feels with the street tires on the back (instead of drag radials) and the new coil overs, shocks, struts, rear springs, and front control arms. It feels good on the street, but I want to push harder so I need to hit the track. Is anyone going out to Sears Point (Now called Sonoma) with NASA in September or November? I may try to hit up one of these before I put the blower back on the car.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just got into it this last year and i went out with just some lowering spring and new front struts and panhard bar. had a blast. but as stated i found my weak links were tires by far. i had a really good set of street tires relitevly new and found this to be my biggest limiting factor. not just in cornering but i felt that i couldnt use my breaks to their full potemtial because i would loose conection with the road too easily. i found myself having to break earler than i wanted to and always fighting a bit of understeer my self. everyone i know that does it bleeds all their brake fluid out before every track weekend. and get ahold of all your safety equipment and get comfortable with it as well. unfortunately my first time wearing my golves and fire boots while driving the car was on the track so i had a bit of a experience with that. i felt my gloves disconected my feel of the steering wheel from my hands incredibly. next track day i switched steering wheels and am fine now.
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and no shelby club will let u sign up the week before online i belive.. but there isint alot of room for error at that track... not a good learing track in my opinion... do you have the black with green striped cobra sideways six?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by dohc90lx:
and no shelby club will let u sign up the week before online i belive.. but there isint alot of room for error at that track... not a good learing track in my opinion... do you have the black with green striped cobra sideways six?

No I have a white Saleen cloned 98 cobra. What car do you run at the track and with what club?

--------------------

dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

just getting started but its a black fox lx with a 4.6 cobra motor swap. silver 98 cobra wheels
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
just getting started but its a black fox lx with a 4.6 cobra motor swap. silver 98 cobra wheels

Nice! Sounds like a fun setup! What club have you ran with? I'll be running with Shelby club this weekend at Sonoma. If you're there come by and say what's up!

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

quote:
quote:

Nice! Sounds like a fun setup! What club have you ran with? I'll be running with Shelby club this weekend at Sonoma. If you're there come by and say what's up!
I will also be at Mini Nats in my black 2002 GT with red fender stripes.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:
quote:
quote:

I will also be at Mini Nats in my black 2002 GT with red fender stripes.
What group are you running in? I'll be in green.

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

I am running Red group. I am not advanced enough or have the safety equiptment for Green/blue group
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

ill be up there with some friends in their cars. ill come find u guys and say hi. unfortunately not driving mine. i have been running into some serious braking issues that i think are related to incorrect spring ratios. the back of the car is slightly heavier than the front and my front end is too stiff and i cant get the ride height correct. so its all torn appart right now awaiting new parts. i think i looked last week and there were like 50 or something in red group? holy crap!!! hopefully with that many cars it dosent turn into a parade out there!
SVT93R
¯
Member # 12474

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT93R  Ford pictures for SVT93R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Post some info and pics after, I would like to hear about how it went.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com