Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Need ideas for brake ducts

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need ideas for brake ducts
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im in need of some brake cooling ducts for my 98 cobra. It seems that with my hawk blue pads and slowly increasing speed and harder braking, my rotors are getting chewed up pretty badly and even cracking. I'm hoping that some brake cooling will help some but I cant seem to find a kit thats made to fit a Saleen bumper. There are a few kits made for the cobra fog lights but nothing for the Saleen.

Has anyone made any custom brake ducts? I'm going to buy the backing plate that replaces the stock dust shield so that's not an issue...but if you have any ideas of how i can fab some ducts for my front Saleen bumper that'd be awesome! Thanks!!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used this on my Roush.

Remove a foglight. Look at the mounting and measure the diameter of the opening you have to work with.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks Steve! My Saleen bumper doesn't have fog lights. I have 2 openings on each side but they're square shaped rather than circular. I'm thinking I may be able to form those home depot reducers to fit the openings but how would I make them stay in place?

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know what you have to work with on the bumper. If there's enough of a lip, I would try 1/8" pop rivets. Best would be to use a backing plate so it's aluminum-fiberglass-aluminum sandwiched together and held with rivets. Before making holes, check the routing of the brake cooling hose even if you have to buy a cheap 3" dryer hose to check the fit. It can't get crushed by the suspension travel and not rub the tires at full lock.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks Steve! Each opening does have a lip so I should be able to attach some kind of plate onto it. I'll see what I can do and post pics if/when I get it done.

--------------------

kaoticmk2
¯
Member # 5186

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaoticmk2  Ford pictures for kaoticmk2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is Darius setup from his website. This would work with SteveL post it's the other half. He custom made it and thu it is a Foxbody it is for a Saleen bumper. Hope it helps.

http://www.dariusrudis.com/2009_Brake_Ducts/

[ May 31, 2012, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: kaoticmk2 ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks! I actually have a source to get this side of the brake ducts...my concern is how to mount the hose to the front bumper openings.

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used stock fog light housing and then shop vac hose. i see that you have a saleen front bumper so im not sure how that works
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com