Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Tire and rotor recommendations? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tire and rotor recommendations?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like my tires are toast and my rotors are cracked...that being said, what do you guys recommend for track use? I dont want to run slicks yet so I'm looking for "street" tire recommendations.

For tires, Ive used bridgestone re11's on my 18's and have been using bridgestone re01r's on my 17's. I love these tires but can't find a deal on them anymore and don't want to pay around $300 ea. Has anyone tried Hankook rs3's? I was also looking into kumho xs. What do you guys think and if you have a place with good prices please share!

For rotors I've used a set of Centric fronts as well as Brembo cross-drilled rotors. With my previous set of Carbotech pads the centric rotors lasted a while, but with my new set of Hawk blues the rotors are getting chewed up pretty quickly! Do I really need expensive rotors? Will they last longer? Or can I buy Kragen rotors and just keep replacing them whenever they get too beat up or cracked? I've read on another forum that people actually use Kragen rotors and warranty them when they crack...basically free replacements each time! Any recommendations?

Lastly, if you guys are selling either tires or rotors, please let me know [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're not clear on your definition of a "street tire" but I would add the Toyo's to your list to look at. Either the RA-1 or R888. If you want to try the RA-1 for cheap, ask around the NASA CMC guys if they have any used tires they'll sell. For new, talk to Ron at AIM Tire.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian what's sup bro . Your tires were pretty wasted that day I've heard the NT01 is a good tire also RA1 toyo good luck on your search.Too bad it rained toward the end I gotta save up for my seat and roll bar I got tired sliding around everywhere see you next time bro
Posts: 226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do RA1's compare to R888? I really like the price tag on the RS3's as well as the kumho xs's but I definitely want something as sticky, if not stickier than my current RE01R's. I also want to run 275's but not sure how well they'd fit on my 17x9 cobra R's.

Any input on brake rotors??

Fidel...yesterday was great bro! I had 3 really good sessions but my tires were pretty much done for after that third run. It's too bad the rain had to start coming down...it would have been nice to run all five sessions. After watching my videos I was able to pull off a couple 2:02 laps. Not very fast, but it's slowly getting there. Hopefully with some new tires I could break into the high 1:50's.

--------------------

kaoticmk2
¯
Member # 5186

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaoticmk2  Ford pictures for kaoticmk2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hope this may help on the tire question. I read alot and there is some good info on different tires and deals.

Tires
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33072

Brakes
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=48841

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We sell alot of bridgestone potenza re970's, i use them on my own car. even with 45X rwhp, I hook sortof. But better than any tire i have had on here, fuzions, toyo's and goodyear eagle f1's.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
How do RA1's compare to R888?

I have not been in a Mustang with RA1's. Both have a treadwear of 100 but the R888 have a lot less open area.
Usually that translates to better dry traction and not as good wet. It depends on whether you want more of a street tire you can drive in the rain or more closer to a slick. Maybe there are others but the next step after the R888 or Nitto NT01 is a slick.

275-40/17 is the right size tire for a 17x9 rim. Just check the clearance on the fender lip and inner liner.

I never ran Cobra brakes and can't help you there except stay away from drilled rotors.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Kaoticmk2...thanks for the links! I read some very interesting tire reviews there!

Wrenchin...thanks for the input on the re970's. Unfortunately I think my re01r and re11 tires are already better than these. The 970's are all weather tires where the re01r/re11 tires are summer only tires. Im not really looking for an all weather street tire at this time...just something good for track use but not as aggressive as slicks.

Steve...I read a little more about the R888 and RA1's. What I read is that they're great tires but not worthy of being an R compound tire. Some said they'd rather jump to an R6 instead and get the true R compound performance. Another thread I read compared the RS3's to the R888 on a C5 corvette. The RS3's supposedly pulled more G's and was more competitive than the R888's that he ran prior. I'll keep doing my research but I think that unless I find a deal on some R888/RA1's, I'll probably try out the RS3's for the rest of this season. I'm hoping to progress enough to run R6's next year though.

As for brake rotors, I agree with NOT using drilled rotors. My Brembos are cracked at nearly every drilled hole! Scary how bad they look after my last trackday. The centric blanks worked really well for quite some time but may be too thin now to resurface and run again.

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Centrics are supposed to be pretty good quality and cheap. I don't know how much they cost for mustangs, but consider 2 piece rotors for less weight and better heat expansion. I got a smokin deal on the discontinued style slotted DBA5000's from kns brakes. I'm running Kumho XS tires, from the reviews I read from grassroots motorsports, all the comparable tires had the same level of grip, but the XS never got too hot and slippery which is good for a heavier car. You can't go wrong with the XS or RS3. NT-05's are the cheapest, I haven't seen anything bad about them. I will probably go with NT-05's or NT-01's next. When's your next track day with NCRC? I'll probably be going to thunderhill with them the weekend before July 4th and in August.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Jon...thanks for the input! I'll look into the nt-05's. I don't believe tire rack carries nittos so where would you recommend sourcing them?

As for brakes, i liked the centric rotors I had and actually want to see if I can get them resurfaced and reuse them for another few trackdays. If not, I'll look into Something else. What's a good place to source brake rotors?

I don't think there are any ncrc trackdays that fit my schedule in the next few months. I'd love to go out with them again, but I can only go certain weekends. I'll let you know though!

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

After a quick google search and multiple threads comparing NT-05's vs RS3's it seems that most people prefer the RS3's. They said that the overall grip is higher and have better wet traction. I think I'll be going with the RS3's!

As for rotors, i found the centric "standard" rotors are just $37 each for the fronts so I'll probably just order these too! The centric premiums are coated with some anti-corrosion plating and sell for $49 each but I don't need all that jazz right now. Looks like I've made up my mind... Now I just have to find the funds for it all lol!

Thanks for your input everyone!

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, the RS3's are defintely stickier, Nittos are cheaper though. Discount tire direct carries nitto.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Discount tire also offers Heat Cycling. Since you aren't planning on extra sets to swap out while you do it, go ahead pay the extra $10-15 a tire and have them do it for you. It will help the tires last longer. Tire rack offers it too.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Discount tire also offers Heat Cycling. Since you aren't planning on extra sets to swap out while you do it, go ahead pay the extra $10-15 a tire and have them do it for you. It will help the tires last longer. Tire rack offers it too.

Is heat cycling needed for street tires as well? I always thought that it was more for R compounds? Will the heat cycling on street tires reduce the tread depth?

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a good idea on any R compounds. The R888, Nt555RII, NT-01, BFG R1, etc. It doesn't reduce tread depth, what it does is takes the tires to temp then allows for the to cool properly. You may lose the initial stickiness of first use, but you gain longevity. The tires will still get tacky as soon as heat is built up into them. I do it with my track tires, always feel it's worth it for people who are not in competition. On some tires they do offer tire shaving. But again for your needs, I wouldn't. Heat cycling btw is usually only offered for tired with a 100 tread wear or less.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nt05's/rs3's don't need heat cycling or shaving.

you'll be happy with nt05's, my buddy with the coyote coupe runs them and the grip level with the full MM kit on the car is very good at the track.

I run brembo blank rotors from tirerack.com, they're zinc plated so they don't look all janky after a car wash/rain and I haven't had any problems after overheating the shit out of them at cal speedway.

[ May 29, 2012, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks for the input Jon and blind! I'm really hoping to score some RS3 merely because of the reviews i read on them. Seems that these are possibly the fastest "street tires" available. Although I did find a set of R888 in the softer GGG compound for $450 but I'm not sure I want to have the soft compound if I'm going to be driving to and from the track on these. Anyone ever tried or heard about the GGG compound R888's?

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Here are my current tires. I'm on the fence as to whether I need to replace them now or if I can get a few more trackdays out of them. They ate bridegstone re01r's.

This is the driver side front tire. Notice that the outer edge of the tire has no more tread but the middle part of the tire has plenty of tread remaining.

-

This is the rear driver side tire. All three the other tires aside from the driver front are pretty much in the same condition. Notice that there is still lots of tread depth remaining on the outer edge and middle section of the tire:

-

Should I replace them???

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats your air pressure. looks like you can go down a couple of pounds. if im lookig at it wright, hard to tell in pics.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Tires were set to 32 psi cold all around. I was thinking that I should've inflated them more because it looks like I was wearing it down the sides close to the side wall.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran my re01r's until they looked like this [Smile]

-
 -
 -

they were still sticky, but the chunks with cord showing would not pass tech.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, You could flop them on the wheels and get some more life out of them. they do not look bad.

what kind of camber are you running ?
what is the hot pressure ?

Troy

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Blind... Mine are definitely in better condition than yours were lol! This gives me hope that I'll be able to a couple more trackdays on mine once I flip them around.

Troy... I'm running 2 degrees of negative camber. After seeing how much the outer edges are wearing down quicker, I'm going to go with 2.5 degrees before my next trackday. My cold pressure is 32 psi all around but I never take my hot pressure.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

I ran 32cold and was seeing 36-38hot on those front tires, I run 2.1* camber.

they didn't look much better before that track day, other than not having chunks missing.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Cold tire pressures are only important before the first session of the day. You really want to monitor hot temp pressures because left to right and front to back, the pressures can be different for different tracks. Thunderhill is usually run CCW so you're leaning more on the right side tires. Sears Point is the opposite. So depending on which track, what direction, track temperature, how fast, and how much you're using the tires, the pressures at each corner may start out the same but will be several lbs different after a run.

Get a decent dial tire pressure gauge and use only that gauge. Your gauge could be 1 or 2 psi off compared to someone else's, it doesn't matter. You want 36 psi (or whatever) on your gauge.

I would highly recommend to first start monitoring hot pressures before making changes to your setup. Some of that wear could just be from running too high or too low a pressure on that tire.

I don't know what's a good pressure for that tire and if even we ran the same tire, some people like a different feel and run different pressures. Obviously, it's easier to start too high and bleed down than it is to go find an air pump.

Running nitrogen doesn't change anything other than you'll notice less of a hot / cold difference than running air. I get a 6-8 psi hot / cold difference on the Hoosiers with air and about half that difference with nitrogen.

Now I heard, I don't remember where, and not have verified this with a tire manufacturer but you see those raised triangles on the sides of the tires? Those mark the position of the sidewall from the tread. I look at tire wear and see if I'm close but not over the top point of the triangles.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com