Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Looking for advice: trackday in the rain!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for advice: trackday in the rain!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like tomorrow's forecast shows rain for Sonoma so I'll be running sears point in wet conditions. I've always tried to avoid wet weather when signing up for trackdays but it's too late to cancel now!

Any advice on how to drive the car fast in the rain? I've heard about driving a different line and being smooth, but if you have specific advice please share! If you have advice for sears point in the rain that'd be even better! Thanks [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont hit any of the berms. be smooth remember sears point is not very forgiving. slow down in 10 water collects there. water also runs thru the exit of 6. try driving thunderhill in the snow. not fun.
are you goingto NASA's next event at sears?

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks bud! I'll remember 10 and 6 tomorrow. What about speed? I've heard that you can still drive pretty fast in the rain...is that true?? I'd be kind of scared and probably crawl through the track lol!

I was supposed to be there for NASA next month but had to back out due to other plans that weekend [Frown]

[ May 24, 2012, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your times shouldnt change much. take it slow the first few laps then pick up your speed. what tires are you running.
we use to use drirt hoosiers in the rain and only lose a couple of sec in the rain.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by acmikee:
your times shouldnt change much. take it slow the first few laps then pick up your speed. what tires are you running.
we use to use drirt hoosiers in the rain and only lose a couple of sec in the rain.

I don't really time myself so I'm not concerned about times. I guess I'll feel it out and slowly increase my speed as I gain more confidence in the rain.

I'm running bridegstone re01r's...street tires

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it comes around, wheel center, clutch in, brake in. As long as you aren't in too rough shape, it should do a simple half loop.

I had it happen once a t-hill in rain. Very controlable. Also you get run off from 1 across main straight. Just be smooth with movements. No jerking the car around. You will be fine.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com