Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » My differential cover is rubbing my gas tank!?!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My differential cover is rubbing my gas tank!?!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After performing an inspection on my car today in preparation for a trackday this Friday I noticed that my gas tank was dented in. It looks like my rear differential cover is hitting the the tank, possibly when I hit dips or bumps in the road [Confused] I don't recall this happenning before, but before my last two outtings I had my front suspnsion redone and my pinion angle was adjusted. The ride height is not very low, but its level from front to rear.

The differential cover is a Trickflow piece and my rearend consists of all MM components: PHB, TA, LCA's, and coilovers.

Could this be caused by my springs/shocks being too soft?
Could the adjusted pinion angle have caused this?
Is there any way to eliminate this issue?
Lastly, is it safe to still drive on the track as-is?

Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Holstermaker
¯
Member # 11548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holstermaker  Ford pictures for Holstermaker  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can't run your current Panhard Bar with an after market diff cover, they will hit. Probably pushed it into your tank, my guess.
Remove it and problem solved, no it isn't safe until removed.
There are some covers that will clear, I had one on my other car and can't remember the make right now.

Mike Hall #10 AI West / ARC #10

[ May 22, 2012, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Holstermaker ]

--------------------
Holstermaker
Ex NASA AI #10 West
Ex ARC GT2 #10

Posts: 34 | From: Far Nor Cal | Registered: Jan 2012  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Holstermaker:
You can't run your current Panhard Bar with an after market diff cover, they will hit. Probably pushed it into your tank, my guess.
Remove it and problem solved, no it isn't safe until removed.
There are some covers that will clear, I had one on my other car and can't remember the make right now.

Mike Hall #10 AI West

Nice to see an AI racer on the board! Welcome!

Anyway, do you know if the stock diff cover will clear?

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hitting your gas tank?? You sure it's not hitting the Spare tire well? Ford Racing makes a low profile diff cover that clears the MM panhard rod.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem with it hitting on mine before I got the Low Profile cover. Just to be safe I notched the spare tire well in to clear.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Holstermaker
¯
Member # 11548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holstermaker  Ford pictures for Holstermaker  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Probably is hitting your spare tire well. I had to notch all my others as well come to think about it.
I believe the TA cover clears too and a little less bucks. Stock cover clears.
I noticed you run with my old club NCRC/ARC, I have been running ARC Races forever and just getting done building my next car. Look me up, #10 red fox now!
Was #10 and 40 sn95 95cobra...selling my bad!

[ May 22, 2012, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Holstermaker ]

--------------------
Holstermaker
Ex NASA AI #10 West
Ex ARC GT2 #10

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Come to think of it, it is rubbing my spare tire well and not the gas tank LOL. In that case, I'm not too concerned, but I defintely need to do something about it. Thanks for the quick help fellas!

Mike,
I'll look you up! I'm always excited to meet and talk to racers...I've learned a lot from talking to 'you guys' [Big Grin] . I typically run with NASA, but I'm open to running with any club that fits my schedule. I'll be going out with trackmaster this friday so hopefully the weather is good!

So...you're selling a 95 cobra track car? Details please [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
I had the same problem with it hitting on mine before I got the Low Profile cover. Just to be safe I notched the spare tire well in to clear.

John...what low-profile cover are you using now? How did you notch the spare tire well?

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:

John...what low-profile cover are you using now? How did you notch the spare tire well?
I'm almost positive it is the Ford Racing M-4033-G2. It's a low profile design. The first gen one was a tall cover. Hit everything.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9291

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4033-G2/

Mr. 20lb. sledge helped me with notching the well. I have plan to cut out the well completely and sheet over it. But for now I just convinced it, that I need more room.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, I just let mine self clearance. It made noise for the first event and then went away as cover beat the sheet metal back.

Mike, This is Tim with the white foxbody coupe. Good to see you getting back in the game. I raced a couple races with ARC last year, it was fun, definitely more low key than NASA. AIX Outlaw is fun, but it's sort of turning into a tire war. Whoever shows up with fresh tires out of the 4 fastest guys usually wins. We may switch back to AI next year to keep the tire cost down.

Holstermaker
¯
Member # 11548

Hi Tim, I've been following aixoutlaw and you. Actually I might run with them when I get my car sorted.
I'll give you a call later, I have a weird question.

--------------------
Holstermaker
Ex NASA AI #10 West
Ex ARC GT2 #10

Holstermaker
¯
Member # 11548

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Come to think of it, it is rubbing my spare tire well and not the gas tank LOL. In that case, I'm not too concerned, but I defintely need to do something about it. Thanks for the quick help fellas!

Mike,
I'll look you up! I'm always excited to meet and talk to racers...I've learned a lot from talking to 'you guys' [Big Grin] . I typically run with NASA, but I'm open to running with any club that fits my schedule. I'll be going out with trackmaster this friday so hopefully the weather is good!

So...you're selling a 95 cobra track car? Details please [Whoo Whooooo!]

You're welcome.
I already sold the car and regretted it...like I always do...LOL...had the complete MM catalog in it w/DSS race motor. Now doing it all over again. I must like building the dam things more than racing I guess.
I like running with NASA and have for yrs, however ARC is like the old days and very kicked-back, gives me my thrill, plus a lot of track time.

[ May 22, 2012, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Holstermaker ]

--------------------
Holstermaker
Ex NASA AI #10 West
Ex ARC GT2 #10

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com