Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Maximum Motorsports vs IRS for foxboy

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Maximum Motorsports vs IRS for foxboy
6D9
¯
Member # 7001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6D9  Ford pictures for 6D9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Down the road i would like to set the Foxbody up for handling and was looking at both set ups. I know the IRS will ride better on the street but what about track performance? What works better? Does the MM set up ride like a dump truck on the street?

--------------------
Performance Alliance Motorsports
1969 BBC Camaro

Posts: 171 | From: stockton,ca | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you mean the MM t/a + phb? It rides fine on the street.

IRS on the track is better on tracks that are bumpy or have quick transitions.

Read the MM shop car swap to IRS article to find out some more, but in short their shop car went from the full MM package to an IRS with their delrin bushings setup and gained a couple seconds per lap in a back to back test.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=tech_rear_susp_irs_faq_royce

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
6D9
¯
Member # 7001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6D9  Ford pictures for 6D9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes the ta+pb. Thanks for the article!

--------------------
1969 BBC Camaro

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A stock IRS will get killed by a SRA with a TA and PHB . You would need to upgrade the IRS significantly to duplicate the performance of a MM kitted SRA.
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was at Buttonwillow last month. Maximum Motorsports was there with their foxbody shop car which is the car mentioned in the article. They brought along Mike Croutch who used to be their driver in AI. It was his first time driving the car with the IRS. He said he preferred the TA/PHB. Main reason, the TA/PHB puts the power down sooner and much better than the IRS.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
I was at Buttonwillow last month. Maximum Motorsports was there with their foxbody shop car which is the car mentioned in the article. They brought along Mike Croutch who used to be their driver in AI. It was his first time driving the car with the IRS. He said he preferred the TA/PHB. Main reason, the TA/PHB puts the power down sooner and much better than the IRS.

MM PHB/TA FTW [burnout]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

6D9
¯
Member # 7001

Looks like I will be keeping the SRA!

--------------------
1969 BBC Camaro

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
A stock IRS will get killed by a SRA with a TA and PHB . You would need to upgrade the IRS significantly to duplicate the performance of a MM kitted SRA.

I don't know, I wouldn't really call putting coil-overs, replacing the bushings, and replacing the tie-rods a significant upgrade.

compared to a stock SRA, there's no comparison the IRS is hands down a better starting point.

SRA -
~$1200-$1400 for the TA, PHB & lower control arms depending if you're getting standard or heavy duty, non-adjustable or adjustable lca's
~$800-$1100 for MM race bilsteins or Koni DA's all around
$140 for torque arm rear springs (not doing coil-overs)
$450 for coil over kit with springs
$370 for MM adjustable roll bar

IRS -
$1100 for the race grip package.
(This Grip Box includes:
Aluminum Differential Bushings - MMIRSB-40.1
Delrin Upper Control Arm Bushings - MMIRSB-2
Delrin Lower Control Arm Bushings - MMIRSB-1
Urethane Subframe Bushings - MMIRSU-1
IRS Adjustable Complete Tie-Rod Kit - MMIRSTR-2
Adjustable Rear Swaybar Endlinks - MMRSB-94
Low Profile Subframe Bolts, rear mounts - MMF-1
14MM Subframe Hardware, front mounts - MMF-4
Specialty tools and detailed instructions to make the job a breeze)
$435 for coil-over kit with springs

These are just MM prices, I used the kits when they were cheaper. There are cheaper kits elsewhere, sure. Like the fulltiltboogie.com IRS kits that are $700 and not $1100 that most people say are even better than MM. You could go Griggs, KB, or whoever for the SRA stuff as well, this was just an A vs B comparison or a similarly setup adjustable rear end (ride height, corner balance, bump steer, and swaybar where applicable).

I have one car of each, they both have their pros and cons. I prefer the IRS personally.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A built sra will KILL a stock IRS in the corners

And ur pice for the IRS didn't include any shocks?
But u added the price off four shocks to the sra set up lol

And u don't necesarily need the koni da or mm race bilstiens for the sra...

But out of the two I think I can agree there's a bit more potential to be seen out of the IRS

[ May 07, 2012, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by sneakyfox90:
A built sra will kill a stock IRS
And ur pice for the IRS didn't include any shocks?
But u added the price off four shocks to the sra set up lol

And u don't necesarily need the koni da or mm race bilstiens for the sra...

But out of the two I think I can agree there's a bit more potential out of the IRS

yes, the IRS has bilsteins already so they only need a c/o kit. Atleast the 2003 IRS I bought did, and it cost me $150 to find a set of front 03 cobra bilstein struts to match. I'm not sure if all the 99-04 IRS units came with bilsteins or not.

I was just doing the prices for comparison to a similar level, you can cut the shock/strut prices by a bit on the SRA but it's cheaper to buy the set of 4 than to buy rear/front pairs. There's no way anybody is going to throw a TA/PHB kit onto a SRA and use the stock shocks!

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought the OP's original question was stock IRS v. TA/PHB SRA. To which I would choose the modded SRA. But, after driving an IRS Fox with the full MM kit on it, I would go with a built IRS over a SRA setup. Ride quality and NVH is ten times better with the MM IRS than the last Griggs SRA car that I drove.

But the bottom line is that there is no bottom line. There will always be pros and cons for each.

6D9
¯
Member # 7001

Great information guys thank you very much! Right now the car just has Sportline springs and Tokico blues. It seems to handle great for the cheap budget stuff.

--------------------
1969 BBC Camaro

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com