Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » my 3rd/4th day at the track (sonoma drift) updated (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: my 3rd/4th day at the track (sonoma drift) updated
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRQKalB0hvE&context=C46db3dbADvjVQa1PpcFMhskbYakWc5HLlyEHZoOgvBcR-VoM7rSg=

UPDATE
3rd & 4th days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77z2keHmXbQ&feature=g-all-u

[ May 10, 2012, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: SydewayzStan ]

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
need to get work'n on that steering angle!!
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
dmostz
¯
Member # 11760

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmostz  Ford pictures for dmostz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I watched 2 of your runs. For your second day, not bad at all. I'm terrible at drifting/sliding so I dont have any comments other than good job! lol Keep at it man, practice makes perfect! Any idea who the dudes were in the v8 swapped Nissans? they both took a run down the drag strip. Was sweet to watch.
Posts: 74 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Mar 2012  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dmostz:
I watched 2 of your runs. For your second day, not bad at all. I'm terrible at drifting/sliding so I dont have any comments other than good job! lol Keep at it man, practice makes perfect! Any idea who the dudes were in the v8 swapped Nissans? they both took a run down the drag strip. Was sweet to watch.

theres quite a few guys from vallejo running 5.0 swapped 240's. what colors were the cars?
dmostz
¯
Member # 11760

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmostz  Ford pictures for dmostz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one had blue and white body with yellow antifreeze colored rims the other was brown and silver i think.
Posts: 74 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Mar 2012  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ive seen the that blue one he was out there all season. there is also a gray one with a rack on top who recently did a 5.0 swap, there is a white one with a blue oval on the deck lid that is 5.0 swapped then there is crick who drives the black and silver one which is 5.0 swapped, elijah drives the burgundy one that is 5.0 swapped and there is virgil who drives a purple one with orange wheels that is 5.0 swapped. all of those cars except virgils are on stock motor,intake,cam,tb and all they are bone stock 5.0 motors and regular t-5's with a short shifter maybe. thats it.

here is crick driving his car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pgNB3eXPY&feature=endscreen&NR=1

crick also does fab work too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lecgTj-tU80&feature=relmfu

here is the world record day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOIUrclyNkk&feature=channel

elijahs car was recently finished so theres not a lot of footage yet but here is him and crick at the world record thing going tandem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWPECh1Tirw&feature=channel

dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydewayzStan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRQKalB0hvE&context=C46db3dbADvjVQa1PpcFMhskbYakWc5HLlyEHZoOgvBcR-VoM7rSg=

what are your suspension mods i wanna do this, i watch you car every time i go

once i get 5 lug/2004 gt brakes and replace my blown struts im gunna go out there

--------------------
93 5.0 trickflow h/c/i

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not that many suspension mods yet, just lowering springs & i installed a MM panhard bar last weekend

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

dean-93 depends on what your going to do and how far you want to go. the line between having a car your trying to drift VS a drift car is crossed early on.

a lot of the cars arent even running a front sway bar due to the steep steering angle needed to achieve proper "drift" and with foxbodys already having a short wheel base the odds are already against you.

if your just looking to go and have a little fun find your self a spare set of rims(17's) and "stretch" some smaller(not as wide) tires on there and get your self a decent coil over setup. that would give you a better advantage over all the other stock mustangs that try to run.

next step would a hydro e-brake setup and a "drift" alignment( possibly a cage? def. some subframe connectors) and then some seat time will improve it from there.

there will come a point where you may need to start hacking you car up some to allow for better alignment specs but of course that all depends on rim width etc.

to give you an idea of how much steering angle those 240's need heres a pic of one where they had yo chop the lower corners of the engine compartment:

-

Ive had the bug for a long time to build a drift car and was very close to getting my parents 84 5.0 gt they bought new in 84. fell threw since i didnt have my house yet and my dad needed the money before i could get it out of there

[ April 06, 2012, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
dean-93 depends on what your going to do and how far you want to go. the line between having a car your trying to drift VS a drift car is crossed early on.

a lot of the cars arent even running a front sway bar due to the steep steering angle needed to achieve proper "drift" and with foxbodys already having a short wheel base the odds are already against you.

if your just looking to go and have a little fun find your self a spare set of rims(17's) and "stretch" some smaller(not as wide) tires on there and get your self a decent coil over setup. that would give you a better advantage over all the other stock mustangs that try to run.

next step would a hydro e-brake setup and a "drift" alignment( possibly a cage? def. some subframe connectors) and then some seat time will improve it from there.

there will come a point where you may need to start hacking you car up some to allow for better alignment specs but of course that all depends on rim width etc.

to give you an idea of how much steering angle those 240's need heres a pic of one where they had yo chop the lower corners of the engine compartment:

-

Ive had the bug for a long time to build a drift car and was very close to getting my parents 84 5.0 gt they bought new in 84. fell threw since i didnt have my house yet and my dad needed the money before i could get it out of there

thanks for the advice
know of any cheap coilovers that arnt a arm or leg?

--------------------
93 5.0 trickflow h/c/i

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

keep an eye out in the ford sale section,ebay,craigslist. lee just hooked JaeJae up on a set recently.
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
See ya soon..I've got my koni double adjustables and Griggs coilovers sittin..thinkin bout ordering the panhard bar as we speak..and the rest of the stuff will be from
Cortex racing..hopefully I'll have time to play

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stan killed it yesterday at infineon. 1st clean run of the season! [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

quote:
Originally posted by Jaejae5.0:
See ya soon..I've got my koni double adjustables and Griggs coilovers sittin..thinkin bout ordering the panhard bar as we speak..and the rest of the stuff will be from

Careful with cortex they specialize in road racing not drifting. They tried saying i need to take my panhard bar back off! Wrong! Thats one of the first mods you should do before drifting IMO. It makes a world of difference by eliminating snap oversteer, and keeps the axle centered.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jaejae/stan tandem. watch out now. 2 drivers!

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Careful with cortex they specialize in road racing not drifting. They tried saying i need to take my panhard bar back off! Wrong! Thats one of the first mods you should do before drifting IMO. It makes a world of difference by eliminating snap oversteer, and keeps the axle centered.
Well crick an Trent are two masterminds..and crick jus happens to be a great drifter..not sure why they would say remove panhard bar tho..lol either way get some coilovers on that joint ..ima be going down in gear 3.73s is to short..I've been hittin this freeways entrances pretty sick bouncing off red limiter..I'll prolly go down to a 3:27..they got me on nights over here doin nothing as we speak..lol jus shopping for stuff on the net

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have the upper control arms, snap oversteer is worse with a panhard bar than without. But, control will be better near the limit because lateral axle control is better.
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

for those who are looking to drift a 5.0, the only person I'd consult is dan Pina. he is a member here and 3-4 years ago when I was looking to turn my parents 84 GT into a drifter , he offered a lot of good "free" advice and pointers. if I still have or can find the emails he sent I will post them up. He is a member on here and Id def shoot him a pm or something.

Crick and Trent are good folks and although Cortex specializes in road racing doesnt really mean they couldnt setup a drift car. not matter how you look at it, suspension fundimentals are suspension fundimentals!

but the truth of the matter is crick is running a different platform being he has a 240.I know he started on a fox body platform but quickly migrated to the 240. So like I said I'd be in touch with Dan seeing as how he stayed foxbody. and if nothing else take all the pointers and advice you get to use as "starting points", in the end its all gonna be about what works for you right?

and for those who want to actually compete in drifting competitions get a hydro e-brake already! you will get burned so quick in the first corner without it!

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
If you have the upper control arms, snap oversteer is worse with a panhard bar than without. But, control will be better near the limit because lateral axle control is better.

I planned on just running a 3rd link off the pumpkin

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dmostz:
v8 swapped Nissans? they both took a run down the drag strip.

What times did they run?

[ April 24, 2012, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: ItzStock ]

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is my vid of elijah and crick doin donuts at infineon

http://youtu.be/8dCfjnpNLkM

[ April 24, 2012, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: ItzStock ]

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well crick an Trent are two masterminds..and crick jus happens to be a great drifter..not sure why they would say remove panhard bar tho..lol either way get some coilovers on that joint ..ima be going down in gear 3.73s is to short..I've been hittin this freeways entrances pretty sick bouncing off red limiter..I'll prolly go down to a 3:27..they got me on nights over here doin nothing as we speak..lol jus shopping for stuff on the net
Just use 3rd gear jae. Second gear is for sissys. [Big Grin]
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man i cant wait to be back in the bay this summer. Ive been practicing drifting it the streets im TX and last night got into a corner TOO sideways/fast gave it too much throttle and was heading off the road into a ditch, saved it from going off road by engaging clutch staying calm and braking. Need to start going where you drift at looks alot safer. Just have 3:73s, H&R supersports, stock panhard and can get it sideways in third . I need an adjustable panhard real soon tho.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
fast305s
¯
Member # 11897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fast305s  Ford pictures for fast305s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks pretty sweet when 50s slide. I'd work on your throttle control a little bit if you ask me. Nice job tho man, stay with it.

--------------------
Built, not bought.

95 mustang gt
73 f-100
06 powerstroke

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
man i cant wait to be back in the bay this summer. Ive been practicing drifting it the streets im TX and last night got into a corner TOO sideways/fast gave it too much throttle and was heading off the road into a ditch, saved it from going off road by engaging clutch staying calm and braking. Need to start going where you drift at looks alot safer. Just have 3:73s, H&R supersports, stock panhard and can get it sideways in third . I need an adjustable panhard real soon tho.

Didn't know a mustang came with a panhard stock ;D?

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com