Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Pics & Video: NASA @ Infineon 3/10/2012

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pics & Video: NASA @ Infineon 3/10/2012
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran at infineon this past weekend with NASA HPDE3. This was my third trackday with my new setup and I can honestly say I think I'm finally used to it [dance] It's feeling really good and I noticed that my speeds are increasing throughout the track. All in all, very solid setup from MM and great job by TOPnotch for dialing it in [patriot]

We had a pretty good sized group of Mustangs at the track with us which made for a great time! Team F.O.D. was out there showing some support, as well as a few other cafords members. Great meeting some new guys (NorCalStangman and 331SVO), as well as seeing some old faces (Snakebit and SFcoupe). There were CMC/AI/AIX/Outlaw races going on the same day so there was definitely some nice race cars to see!

Here are some pics and a video from the day. Most pictures are courtesy of Mitch from F.O.D. [patriot] , the others have been 'borrowed' from Head On Photos [Wink] . And of course, the video was creating by your's truly [patriot]

***If anyone knows how to eliminate or reduce the over exposing/glowing effect of the GoPro when looking out of a windshield, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! It seems that since its dark in the car and bright outside , the camera can't adjust to the brightness properly. The GoPro is mounted on my roll bar so if you have recommendations or solutions, please let me know!

VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJnILTvMAJ0&feature=youtu.be

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ March 13, 2012, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ March 13, 2012, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you take advice?

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Can you take advice?

Definitely! Whatever advice you've got, please share [patriot]

--------------------

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you set it to spot metering? I'll watch the video after work to see exactly what it looks like. I use the r5 setting, which is the 1080p with a 127 degree angle and set it for spot metering. Just make sure that the center of the view is pointing out the window and not getting your rear view or your dash. If the center is on the dash, that is what it will adjust for. It still doesn't work that great when the sun is in a bad spot. I also have the sun coming through the rear hatch glass and sunroof, which is where I stick mine with the suction cup mount. It gets a lot of wind noise too with the windows down.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, in the video. First and foremost. Going into turn 1, stay in the gas hard, by staying to the outside while going into the corner, and going up the hill. Turn 1 clipping point is actually the bridge, not then end of pit wall. By doing this, you can easily carry 10+ mph into turn 2, plus it sets the turn 2 apex further back setting you up for a faster line into 3-4. Trust me, and your car. You can do it. It will not wash out in 1. I had a hard time learning it, but a few AIX drivers told me about this and it dropped my lap times almost 10 seconds. It makes that much difference. Because watch your vid, look at when you lift on the main straight, then you are scrubbing off speed in 1, then its sets you to wide exiting 1, making you brake into 2. Turn 2 is a no brake corner if done right. Going into 1 you should be in 4th gear till the bridge, slap into 3rd, that will set the car and right as you start your turn in on 2, get on it hard, the car will stay planted, it may try to carry the right front, but you will hit the late apex, let the car slide wide. As you crest the hill, slide right to set your line for turn 4. NOT turn 3. Turn 3 is a throwaway. The apex is 3/4 turn, this gives a straight shot up and over 4. Just doing this carries more speed over the crest of 4. This is a good start.

[ March 14, 2012, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: 1Sicgt ]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome pics Ian!! Looks like I missed an awesome weekend, everybody was out there but me :-( .
Jay your car looks amazing as always and I hope it hooked up too.
Ian, like I said before your definitely progressing and you look smoother....hell you may be ready for slicks before you know it but master the street tires first because slicks don't forgive like what your on now.
Tim how did you do in Outlaw? Show those Agent 47's your brake lights?
I'm in next time for sure damnit!!! [burnout]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did Tim get his engine back together? Last I heard he was pushing to get it back together...
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Ok, in the video. First and foremost. Going into turn 1, stay in the gas hard, by staying to the outside while going into the corner, and going up the hill. Turn 1 clipping point is actually the bridge, not then end of pit wall. By doing this, you can easily carry 10+ mph into turn 2, plus it sets the turn 2 apex further back setting you up for a faster line into 3-4. Trust me, and your car. You can do it. It will not wash out in 1. I had a hard time learning it, but a few AIX drivers told me about this and it dropped my lap times almost 10 seconds. It makes that much difference. Because watch your vid, look at when you lift on the main straight, then you are scrubbing off speed in 1, then its sets you to wide exiting 1, making you brake into 2. Turn 2 is a no brake corner if done right. Going into 1 you should be in 4th gear till the bridge, slap into 3rd, that will set the car and right as you start your turn in on 2, get on it hard, the car will stay planted, it may try to carry the right front, but you will hit the late apex, let the car slide wide. As you crest the hill, slide right to set your line for turn 4. NOT turn 3. Turn 3 is a throwaway. The apex is 3/4 turn, this gives a straight shot up and over 4. Just doing this carries more speed over the crest of 4. This is a good start.

Thanks for the pointer! I'll try to run that line next time out and see how it goes. I've been told by my instructors and others to run the line that I currently use, but I'll see how well I can immitate what you recommend. I'd definitely like to improve my turn-in at T2 so hopefully it works [patriot]

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Awesome pics Ian!! Looks like I missed an awesome weekend, everybody was out there but me :-( .
Jay your car looks amazing as always and I hope it hooked up too.
Ian, like I said before your definitely progressing and you look smoother....hell you may be ready for slicks before you know it but master the street tires first because slicks don't forgive like what your on now.
Tim how did you do in Outlaw? Show those Agent 47's your brake lights?
I'm in next time for sure damnit!!! [burnout]

Greg, we missed you man! It would've been great to have you out there too! Hopefully next month??

I do feel like I'm getting faster and nearing the limits of my street tires, but I don't know if I want to jump to slicks quite yet. I like the feedback that my street setup provides me...plus I have no way to haul a set of wheels to the track since I drive the car there [Frown] Maybe when I get to group 4 I'll try out some slicks [burnout]

quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
Did Tim get his engine back together? Last I heard he was pushing to get it back together...

Yup, Tim showed up late in the day, missed warm-ups and qualifications, but made it in time to race! Unfortunately he ran inot an issue and had to pull out of the race [Frown] . Not sure if he raced on Sunday though.

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:

I did make it on Saturday late, stressed out, and tired and then my clutch cable broke in the race. I was forced to buy the cheapo cable at Oreilly's on Saturday night. Sunday I qualified 3rd on my first real session of the weekend but I had to start 6th because I missed the drivers meeting.

By a few laps into the race I was in 3rd place behind Ross Murray in the blue #74. Ross has been racing since we were all in diapers, he's won SCCA American Sedan a bunch of times and is a former National AI champion. My car was definitely faster than his in the corners but mine was slower on the straights. Hopefully it's just that my motor is still a little tight after the rebuild. Anyhow, we had a hard, competitive, clean battle for most of the race. Meanwhile Ryan Walton in the 54 grey coupe was sailing off into the distance. Murray definitely schooled me in the art of defensive driving. The white flag came out and I knew I had to get really aggressive so I tried the outside going into 4, I got along side and squeezed him so he couldn't get off 4 well. I made the pass stick in the carousel and thought I was home free for second. And then my POS Oreilly fuckstick clutch cable melted on the downshift for 7. I managed to slam the trans into fourth for the esses and T10 but Murray got back around me on the last corner because I couldn't change gears. I finished in 3rd.

I might have had something for Walton he was in the 1:46 range and I was in the 1:48s stuck behind Murray. My car was so good that I knew I wasn't driving it to the limit. Usually when a car feels really good, it's because you're not driving it hard enough and that's how it felt on Sunday.

331SVO
¯
Member # 7376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 331SVO  Ford pictures for 331SVO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's sucks to hear Tim a 1:48 is pretty fast around sears ... It's too bad that clutch cable cost you 2nd nice meeting you see you around next time hopefully you can give me some pointers down the road
Posts: 226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :
harley56
¯
Member # 6731

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for harley56  Ford pictures for harley56    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi Ian,
You want to see a fast way around Infineon, including turn 1 and 2,watch this. Unfortunately he is stuck in traffic as he works his way to the front, but when he has clear track you will see his line for turn 1 and 2. Dave Brown is an instructor at Infineon and one of the fastest guys in the CMC group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_up9WXsOM

Posts: 89 | From: Sonoma county | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by harley56:
Hi Ian,
You want to see a fast way around Infineon, including turn 1 and 2,watch this. Unfortunately he is stuck in traffic as he works his way to the front, but when he has clear track you will see his line for turn 1 and 2. Dave Brown is an instructor at Infineon and one of the fastest guys in the CMC group.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the video link! I watched it a couple times and it seems that his line from T1-T2 is basically the same line I'm running. Of course he's a lot quicker, but essentially that's where my thoughts were as well. As we talked about before, my clipping point is the pot hole right before the left-side burm, right past the bridge... then i turn into T2.

Critiquing and advice is always appreciated! By the way, if you watch my video, you'll see your harness being put to good use (thanks again for it!) [patriot]

--------------------

harley56
¯
Member # 6731

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for harley56  Ford pictures for harley56    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Hi Ian,

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the video link! I watched it a couple times and it seems that his line from T1-T2 is basically the same line I'm running. Of course he's a lot quicker, but essentially that's where my thoughts were as well. As we talked about before, my clipping point is the pot hole right before the left-side burm, right past the bridge... then i turn into T2.

Critiquing and advice is always appreciated! By the way, if you watch my video, you'll see your harness being put to good use (thanks again for it!) [patriot]

Ian, I figured you had that line down, I was having difficulty watching your in car due to glare. Thought that link would further confirm the line you're taking. Made it out Sunday briefly to watch some of the enduro. Hope to meet sometime.
Posts: 89 | From: Sonoma county | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Hi Ian,

Hi Dave,

Ian, I figured you had that line down, I was having difficulty watching your in car due to glare. Thought that link would further confirm the line you're taking. Made it out Sunday briefly to watch some of the enduro. Hope to meet sometime.
Unfortunately my gopro settings weren't right and the glare/over-exposure ruined all my videos. But thanks for the video to confirm my line is right [patriot]

Tim and/or Greg, how do you guys take T1-T2?

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I take T1 exactly like the cmc driver does. By the time you hit the burm on the left you want to be going straight in line with that burm. Turn in at the end of the burm, it's an easy reference point.

On the second lap watch the guys in front of him go wide in T1, and watch how much ground he makes up in one turn. The other cars are scrubbing way too much speed to get over to where they need to be to set up T2.

I think your line is fine you just need to stay on the gas longer but that comes when you get more comfortable with what your car can do.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't take it quite as tight but pretty close, depends on other driver's too. Turn 1 is very interesting because you can go 3, even 4 wide with all the room in the world then it turns into a squeeze box QUICK.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com