Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Pics and Video from NCRC @ Thunderhill March 3, 2012

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pics and Video from NCRC @ Thunderhill March 3, 2012
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran with NCRC for the first time last weekend at Thunderhill (3/3/12) with cobra_302_stang (Juan). I'll/we'll definitely be going back out with NCRC soon! Very few cars in each group compared to NASA and although I got this trackday for free, they are very cheap! One thing I like better about NASA are the download meetings after each session, but I guess its fine as long as everything goes smoothly during each session.

This was my second time at Thunderhill, the first time being last year and it was my very first trackday ever. To make a long story short, I didnt know the track at all and it felt like my first time again! Being that I didnt know the track, I had to learn the line, braking points, apex, etc. Due to me learning and experimenting different braking points, I had an "off" at T11 during my first session:o I came into T10 too hot, blowing the line badly, and ended up entering T11 too hot as well. This lead me to go straight into the grass/dirt [Razz] . After this uneventful occassion, I learned to brake earlier and harder in T10 and T11 and everything went smoothly after that. All in all it was a great day!

Here's a short video of Cobra_302_Stang and I playing "follow the leader"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbcHyCBhs_0

Here are some pictures...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ March 09, 2012, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Link to video is now up...feedback is always greatly appreciated [patriot]

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HAHA! Nice "off"! Been there, done that! [Smile]
I did the same thing in turn 9 and looped it. Wound up in the dirt on the left, staring at oncoming traffic. Oops?

[ March 09, 2012, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea, going "off" is a big buzz kill, but at least it was into the grass and not into a wall [Eek!] It was a good learning experience though and I know I still have to improve my line from T10-T11.

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like your cornering faster in these pics too! Remember this: every time you go on track, pick something new to work on every session. Looking ahead is one of hardest to master ( at least it was for me). So many others to list but if you have 4-5 sessions per day you should dial in 4-5 things you learned; some may take longer than a session though.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Looks like your cornering faster in these pics too! Remember this: every time you go on track, pick something new to work on every session. Looking ahead is one of hardest to master ( at least it was for me). So many others to list but if you have 4-5 sessions per day you should dial in 4-5 things you learned; some may take longer than a session though.

Thanks Greg, I'll remember that for tomorrow @ Infineon! I do have a hard time looking far ahead since theres so much stuff approaching you so quickly, but I know the concept is essential in gaining smoothness and speed.

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking smooth which is half the battle. I only looked at one lap so I don't know if you did this later but try 3rd gear from T2 to T6. You will have more control of the car with your foot. Also try 2nd gear through T11/12. You really want to get slowed way down before T11, slower than you think you need to go, it's tricky. This will let you get the car pointed in the right direction sooner to straight line the whole 11/12/13 section which will give you a lot of speed down the back straight.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
Looking smooth which is half the battle. I only looked at one lap so I don't know if you did this later but try 3rd gear from T2 to T6. You will have more control of the car with your foot. Also try 2nd gear through T11/12. You really want to get slowed way down before T11, slower than you think you need to go, it's tricky. This will let you get the car pointed in the right direction sooner to straight line the whole 11/12/13 section which will give you a lot of speed down the back straight.

Thanks for the feedback Tim! I have 4:30's in the rearend (the car came that way [Frown] ) so my 2nd gear is very short...but I'll give it a shot next time I'm out there. I did experiment going into T10-T11 in 2nd and it felt a lot better since I was able to really slow the car down and enter/exit the turns "properly," but I dont think these laps were in the video. I'll definitely remember to do that next time though [patriot]

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good seeing you Ian. I don't think there's any reason to use 2nd gear at thunderhill. Turn 11 is a very late turn-in and you want to exit pointed straight towards 12 and 13.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
Good seeing you Ian. I don't think there's any reason to use 2nd gear at thunderhill. Turn 11 is a very late turn-in and you want to exit pointed straight towards 12 and 13.

Good seeing you too jon! Your c6 is bad ass man! I forgot tomention it to you, but when I was behind you at one point, you downshifted going into T10 and you shot a flame at me [Eek!] It was crazy....I havent watched all my videos yet but I'm sure its in there somewhere!

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One safety note...

When entering the track from the hot pits, stay to the right of the white line that goes into turn 1. Don't bother with turn 1 at all on the entry. Stay track right all through turn 1.

If you're one of the last cars out in a big group or you go into the pit and come out again, DO NOT EXPECT THE STARTER TO KNOW THE COAST IS CLEAR TO ENTER THE TRACK. He could give you the go-ahead just as a group of cars are ripping down the front straight. He probably didn't mean to but that's how bad things happen.

Thunderhill open test days will black flag you if you cross the white line before the exit of turn 1.

[ March 09, 2012, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:

Good seeing you too jon! Your c6 is bad ass man! I forgot tomention it to you, but when I was behind you at one point, you downshifted going into T10 and you shot a flame at me [Eek!] It was crazy....I havent watched all my videos yet but I'm sure its in there somewhere!
I'd appreciate it if you could send that to me or even get a still shot of it if you have time. I need that for a background. [Cool]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

iron50
¯
Member # 11231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron50  Ford pictures for iron50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love the vídeo [patriot] I see you Tomorrow. Morning. [patriot]

--------------------
You mama

Posts: 2025 | From: san pablo cal | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
One safety note...

When entering the track from the hot pits, stay to the right of the white line that goes into turn 1. Don't bother with turn 1 at all on the entry. Stay track right all through turn 1.

If you're one of the last cars out in a big group or you go into the pit and come out again, DO NOT EXPECT THE STARTER TO KNOW THE COAST IS CLEAR TO ENTER THE TRACK. He could give you the go-ahead just as a group of cars are ripping down the front straight. He probably didn't mean to but that's how bad things happen.

Thunderhill open test days will black flag you if you cross the white line before the exit of turn 1.

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I'll remember that for sure next time out!

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:

I'd appreciate it if you could send that to me or even get a still shot of it if you have time. I need that for a background. [Cool]
I found the part where I was behind you but the flame didnt show up in the video...sorry Jon.

quote:
Originally posted by iron50:
I love the vídeo [patriot] I see you Tomorrow. Morning. [patriot]

Thanks bro! Yes, I'll see you guys in the morning [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

no problem, next time [Big Grin]
What are you getting done now?

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
no problem, next time [Big Grin]
What are you getting done now?

Not getting anything done at the moment...but the fellas from FOD will be hooking me up with some one-off parts soon [Big Grin] Stay tuned... [patriot]

--------------------

SaleenGirl
¯
Member # 11156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SaleenGirl  Ford pictures for SaleenGirl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you had a blast. Glad you liked NCRC! T11 gave me a hard time too. I finally learned to slow down to 2nd gear.

--------------------
06 Saleen S281 SC #305
3.6 pulley, 80# inj, GT500 fuel pump, Saleen Extreme CAI
Installs & tune by AED

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com