Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Help w/ Rotor & Pad seletion for the track

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help w/ Rotor & Pad seletion for the track
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im going to upgrade my rotors & pads on my 95 Cobra. I wanted to see what you guys are running. This car gets driven maybe a couple of times a month and used mostly for the track. I'm currently using Hawk HPS pads with unknown brand of 13" crossed drilled and slotted rotors in front and OEM in the rear. I was thinking about getting these

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-GD7021
&
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-GD7020

Not sure about pads tho.

Thanks!

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless you're going for looks, a solid or no more than a slotted rotor would be as good or better (and usually cheaper).

HPS pads are good if you're going to be driving on the street, to/from the track or in the rain. You would get better braking with a race pad but they just don't bite until they're hot.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran Carbotech race pads all last season courtesy of SFcoupe [patriot] . I forget what model they were, but they were full race pads. They got me to/from the track ok but they were very noisy and dust was insane (ruined my white saleens). On track they were awesome though! My rotors were solid Centric rotors. My rear setup was all stock. I so never drive my car other than to/from trackdays.

This season I'm running Hawk Blue pads, courtesy of 9cobra7 [patriot] I used the same Centric rotors that I was using last season but after my first event this year the Hawk Blues seemed to eat up the rotors pretty quickly! Now I'm using my "street" Brembo cross-drilled rotors with the Hawk Blues. Again, after one track day it seems the Blues are eating away at the rotors quicker than I've ever experienced! Not sure what I'll be going with next, but these Brembo rotors should be ok for at least a couple more track days (I hope!).

[ March 04, 2012, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had good luck with hawk ht10 pads. I have had them last pretty good. They are about $200 an axle. Never used them on the street though. Those rotors seam like they would be ok.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run Hawk Blues up front and stock pads in back. As SydewaySix mentioned, race pads will throw off a lot of dust. One thing I've found that helps is to apply a light coat of paste wax (not liquid) on your wheels before your first outing in the AM, then wipe them down at the end of the day. Pad dust will rust and eats up painted and chrome wheels.
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you see alot of street use, you don't need anymore the the Hawk HP+. still stops aggressively, but doesn't need the heat to be effective. If you do more track and little street Hawk Black pads are a good comprimise. Blue is a track only. Not safe for streets. You will lose stopping distance because the pads won't get hot enough on the street to be effective. HT10's are also track only, but I would only use these on tracks that require alot of hard braking. Anything above HP+ will eat rotors. A good general track setup is Blues up front black in rear. Aggressive, but realistic to the temps you would run. HT10's you need to get really hot to get full benefit from. And the rear brakes rarely get hot enough to need more then Blacks.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rotor pro rotors with hawk hp+ pads

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com