Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » T-Hill with NCRC - April 7&8

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T-Hill with NCRC - April 7&8
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buttoning up the last bit of stuff with my own car and I should be out there. Anyone else planning on mixing it up that weekend?
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm considering this...

But then again, I'm also debating on going to NASA @ T-hill (4/14) and/or Shelby Club @ T-hill (4/28) as well. Decisions, decisions...

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's only money... [Wink]
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
It's only money... [Wink]

HA! I wish it was "just " money. if you give me some I'll go! [Big Grin]

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I might make it out. As long as I can get some things buttoned up in time.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

New oil pan, pump, pickup and windage tray - check
New cam, rockers, lifters and pushrods - check
New power steering cooler - check
Axle seals replaced - check

I need to find and fix an engine oil leak and I'm good to go!

Who else is in? [Smile]

[ March 17, 2012, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Oh, and I also managed to remove some dead weight - I lost 50 lbs since I was on track last.

w00t?

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm, might make this one.
Ian skip the Shelby club and do this, more track time.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Hmm, might make this one.
Ian skip the Shelby club and do this, more track time.

I would really like to but my wife works this weekend so it'll be tough with the kids and all. I'm probably not going to run with Shelby club but plan to be at t-hill the weekend of the 14th with NASA.

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:I would really like to but my wife works this weekend so it'll be tough with the kids and all. I'm probably not going to run with Shelby club but plan to be at t-hill the weekend of the 14th with NASA. [/qb]
Boooo! [Wink]

[ March 18, 2012, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

SaleenGirl
¯
Member # 11156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SaleenGirl  Ford pictures for SaleenGirl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I may sign up for T-Hill NASA on April 14th. Just need to buy new back tires first.

--------------------
06 Saleen S281 SC #305
3.6 pulley, 80# inj, GT500 fuel pump, Saleen Extreme CAI
Installs & tune by AED

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about some pros and cons of running with NASA vs NCRC. I am not a member of either yet. I have only done one 20 minute session with NASA during their Hyperdrive at Sears Point. I do want to go back there, so it seems like NASA is the ticket to get back on the Sears Point track. However, they are more expensive and seem to have less track time. There were also a lot of cars on the track during the NASA events I saw. I also HATE that I can't do my own tech inspection with them.

I was thinking about going with NCRC when I decide to go to T-hill. I am just wondering if the instruction is better with NASA. I was thinking it might be better to start out with NASA and then go to NCRC. I really want fewer cars on the track, so which group would that be?

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
How about some pros and cons of running with NASA vs NCRC. I am not a member of either yet. I have only done one 20 minute session with NASA during their Hyperdrive at Sears Point. I do want to go back there, so it seems like NASA is the ticket to get back on the Sears Point track. However, they are more expensive and seem to have less track time. There were also a lot of cars on the track during the NASA events I saw. I also HATE that I can't do my own tech inspection with them.

I was thinking about going with NCRC when I decide to go to T-hill. I am just wondering if the instruction is better with NASA. I was thinking it might be better to start out with NASA and then go to NCRC. I really want fewer cars on the track, so which group would that be?

Here is my opinion after running with NCRC once:

NCRC Pros
-less cost
-more track time (5 sessions)
-less cars on the track
-no mandatory download meetings after each session (also a con to some)

NCRC Cons
-no download meetings after each session - I've learned a lot from NASA's download meetings. It also gives the drivers a chance to point out issues that they saw during the last session
-they don't run at Infineon (closest I've seen is T-hill)

NASA Pros
-they run at Infineon very frequently which is the most convenient track for bay area folks
-lots of cool "race cars" to see at each event
-Nationally known organization (may not matter to some people??)
-free bbq after each event
-mandatory driver's meetings are very informational
-instructors are very knowledgeable!

NASA Cons
-too many run groups at each trackday
-'sometimes' too many cars on track
-cost more ($179)
-requires $50 annual membership
-mandatory driver's meeting (if you dont care to learn anything)

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with that list. On track time, NASA is usually 80 minutes per day. NCRC is usually 105 minutes. The time between sessions can be excessively long with NASA.

NCRC offers an optional membership for $40 which saves you $10/day in track fees. So if you're going to run 4 or more days with NCRC, go for the membership.

One key benefit to NASA is the path to a competition license and the race groups. If you're goal is Time Trials or door-to-door racing either with NASA or moving to SCCA, NASA has the program.

There are other clubs besides NASA and NCRC and they all have their own 'personality'. I wouldn't say one is better than the other but it depends on what you're looking for.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been to the downloads for NASA when I rode with my buddy in HPDE4. I like the downloads so that is a plus. I will never get into road racing. I don't want this car getting banged up. Well, maybe much later in life when the kids are out of the house and I can have a designated track car. For now, I just want to have fun hauling ass around corners without the risk involved with doing that on public roads. I also want to push the car harder than I feel safe doing on the street, so the open track events are all I will do for now. I think I will try to hit up NASA when they are back at Infineon. I definitely want to run there and it will probably be good for me to have one of their instructors with me. After I get signed off to ride without the instructor, then I'll try NCRC at T-hill. I really want to run with the group that has fewer cars on the track (or better drivers) to just reduce the risk of contact as much as possible.

Who techs your cars for the NASA events? I really HATE that I can't do my own inspection for them. Is there anyone in the Santa Rosa area? I am the only one that turns wrenches on this car so taking it in for anything makes me nervous.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, NASA probably has the most cars per group but it's still a good program.

In the HDPE groups across all clubs, car-to-car contact is rare. Incidences are usually just one car and due to driver error.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in for the 7th

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
I'm in for the 7th

Damn you Greg...I'm jealous man! I hope you go the following week with NASA as well!

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

I'm wait listed for the 7th. : /
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Well, I survived! I never did make it in Saturday but ran all but one session Sunday. I developed a consistent power loss off idle that made decent and consistent lap times difficult. After checking injectors and changing my plugs, it turned out to be (best guess) a bad TPS. Being down on power by about 15-20% and a sluggish acceleration rate still netted me an average 2:22 lap. I'll take it... The upside, being down on power I was able to learn how to really drive my Hoosiers. They work best at the "edge" and I'm finally figuring out how far I can push them.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com