Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Aero

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Aero
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.maierracing.com/new_99-04_wide_body_kit.html

For the purpose of track days/HPDE, are the front splitter & rear wing listed above beneficial? Also, would that limit the class you can run in if you decide to get into competition racing?

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Aero definitely helps on faster tracks like Thunderhill. I have a Maier splitter and another companys' rear wing, which provides more downforce than a spoiler. I picked up 2 seconds at Thunderhill and I was on slower tires than my previous best. I would bet aero is worth 3 seconds a lap at Thunderhill all else being equal. I'm almost at the point where I don't have to lift in turn 8, I wouldn't even think of doing that without aero. At a slower track like Infineon it doesn't help as much but it does help. The thing with aero is you have to be going fast enough to use it, and you have to tune it with your suspension which complicates things.
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like the rear wing and the front splitter.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They can help with the aero of the car, big benefit is that you can run wider front tires with this complete set-up. Downside, you can't run in NASA CMC, or American Iron with it. You would have to run with American Iron Xtreme. Nice looking kit still.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like a nice kit, and functional for road courses

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
They can help with the aero of the car, big benefit is that you can run wider front tires with this complete set-up. Downside, you can't run in NASA CMC, or American Iron with it. You would have to run with American Iron Xtreme. Nice looking kit still.

You can run AI with that kit, splitters and wings and fender flares are allowed. New track width this year is 74.5" for 79-04 cars which forces you to use composite fenders or flares.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've seen this Maier car in person and its a nice piece for sure...built mainly for auto-x'ing though.

How do rear spoilers (ie: G-stream) compare to rear wings (ie: the Grigg's or Maier)?

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As far as wings go, I have run a Steeda wing forever, (same as the Grand Sport mustangs run), and frmo my experiences, you will notice it at speed. It offers good balance between downforce and drag. On our '03 Cobra we have a '00 R wing, it actually produces too much drag. You notice a huge difference with that wing.

I've wanted to run a G-stream or something similar that way it could be tuned. The Griggs/Maier spoilers look cool, I'm just not a big fan of NASCAR anymore.

I've always wanted to set up a fox or SN95 like the old IMSA cars. Love the look, and function.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

I've always been a huge fan of Tiger Racing's parts. Very clean functional uses.
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
I've seen this Maier car in person and its a nice piece for sure...built mainly for auto-x'ing though.

How do rear spoilers (ie: G-stream) compare to rear wings (ie: the Grigg's or Maier)?

Just for clarification wings are what you see G-stream making, spoilers is what is on the Maier car.

The advantage of a wing over a spoiler is less drag for an equal amount of downforce. The disadvantage of the wing is cost. Both can be made adjustable. Neither should be installed without front aero mods. It's easy to make rear down force, front down force not so much and that is where we need it most.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

Just for clarification wings are what you see G-stream making, spoilers is what is on the Maier car.

The advantage of a wing over a spoiler is less drag for an equal amount of downforce. The disadvantage of the wing is cost. Both can be made adjustable. Neither should be installed without front aero mods. It's easy to make rear down force, front down force not so much and that is where we need it most.

Thanks for the clarification Tim!

How would one go about adjusting a wing or spoiler properly? Without a wind tunnel, is it adjusted by how the car "feels" while driving it or is there a nominal angle that it should be set at? Is front and rear aero equally important for
uphill, downhill, and flat sections of a track, or does aero work better in certain situations?

I'm not fast, so i dont really "feel" these kinds of changes...I'm just trying to educate myself [Big Grin]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ok, without any "real" testing (I.E. Wind tunnel) you will notice it on your bigger tracks where you get 100+ sections. The car situates itself different with it. Example, going flat out on straight, too much rear downforce will make the steering feel light, almost too sensitive. The rear will feel solid, not like it wants to slip or wash out. If the front has too much downforce coming out of corners the rear will feel light and want to washout easily. It's really a game of fine tuning both to your driving and car needs.

Tracks that it makes a big difference on:
Reno-Fernely
Thunderhill
California
Laguna-Seca

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

You adjust by trial and error unless you're a multimillion dollar race team. Generally a slower track like Infineon will require a larger wing angle of attack, AOA, and a faster track like Thunderhill will require a lower AOA. The first time at a track is an educated guess, by the end of the day the wing should be dialed in for that track.

Uphill, downhill doesn't matter. It's the speed of the car through the air that matters. You will feel it more on flat or off camber corners.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com