Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » NCRC @ Thunderhill 11-14

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: NCRC @ Thunderhill 11-14
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm confirmed in the Solo group. Anyone else going? Hopefully the weather holds out... This will be the last one for me for 2011.
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think solo just means you're comfortable running with no instructor...I could be wrong though.

Have you considered TrackMaster's on 11/19 at Infineon?? that "may" be my last one for this year if I can make it...I'm just worried about signing up for anything and getting rained on [Embarrassed]

[ October 13, 2011, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL Ian, I meant is anyone else on here going to this event - yes I know I'm rolling "solo" [Wink]

I'd like to do Trackmaster's event, but my budget allows one big expense per month.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
LOL Ian, I meant is anyone else on here going to this event - yes I know I'm rolling "solo" [Wink]

I'd like to do Trackmaster's event, but my budget allows one big expense per month.

HAHA, I could've swore it read something like, "what is solo in NCRC..." haha my bad!

I hear you on just going to the track once a month...I'm the same way, which is why YOU should skip NCRC and just hit up Infineon with me [Big Grin] (although I'm not 100% about going yet [Razz] )

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

NCRC is WAY cheaper than Trackmasters.

January 23rd = $99 with a no-rain guarantee. Read this:

"This event has four Open Track run groups with five 20-25 minute sessions per group.

Note: This is a "no rain-guaranteed" event! At 8am on Sunday morning Jan 22nd, if the Accuweather forecast shows anything more than 0% chance of rain during the hours of the event, the event will be cancelled and you will receive a FULL REFUND."

[ October 14, 2011, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
NCRC is WAY cheaper than Trackmasters.

January 23rd = $99 with a no-rain guarantee. Read this:

"This event has four Open Track run groups with five 20-25 minute sessions per group.

Note: This is a "no rain-guaranteed" event! At 8am on Sunday morning Jan 22nd, if the Accuweather forecast shows anything more than 0% chance of rain during the hours of the event, the event will be cancelled and you will receive a FULL REFUND."

Yea, TMR is pretty costly actually. But if I recall correctly, you get somewhere around 6-7 sessions and their run groups are pretty small compared to NASA's 40+ cars on track all at once. I've never driven with NCRC so I can't comment on that, but for $99 and a guarantee of no rain, thats a deal! Too bad it's a Monday though...not gonna work for me [Embarrassed]

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Yeah, 40 cars on track at once for a bunch of over-enthusiastic weekend warriors (using myself as an example!) spells trouble.

NCRC has smaller run groups. For example, my driving school last month had 6 people total.
I had one buddy drive in solo, and 2 other friends drive in the open class. There were approximately 15-20 cars in each group. Not too bad overall.

[ October 14, 2011, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

One week check in - who's going?

Weather.com says 0% chance of rain, 60*. SOunds like a good day to go out "racin" to me!

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

So I trailered all the way up there and was out after the first session, due to no oil pressure. Weather was perfect, but some overly aggressive knuckleheads in their BMWs ruined 2 seperate sessions for other groups (required a tow off the track). I spent the rest of the day riding along with my buddies. One of them had a major "off", like going 300' offtrack sideways on the inside of turn 8 at 110mph with me in the car. That was exciting to say the least!

Anyway, here's the vid of my only run yesterday. I took my Dad for a ride. He used to open track and autocross when he was my age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7N40Oe-b3A

Oh yeah, and the source of my oil pressure loss:
 -
The pump locked up solid. Oops?

[ November 15, 2011, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

nice video Justin! I I like the intro part with the sunrise. very artistic [Smile] Love the disappearing corolla too [worship] That was hilarious [Big Grin]

Sorry to hear about only getting one session in throughout the whole day. Hopefully you get the car up and running soon!

BTW...where did you have your camera mounted? do you have a roll bar?

[ November 15, 2011, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Thanks Ian! That sunrise was incredible!

Roll bar no, harness bar yes. Worked pretty good overall, however I wanted to mount the camera up front, low on the bumper for that "in the weeds" POV. Oh well, another time. [Smile]

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Anyway, here's the vid of my only run yesterday. I took my Dad for a ride

I watched the video, you're doing fine but your gear selection is a bit inconsistent. Here's some recommendations...

Downshift to 3rd before going into turn 2. Stay in 3rd at least to turn 5 maybe even through turn 5 once you have more speed going over the hill.

Go to 4th gear somewhere around turn 7. Stay in 4th through turn 8 then downshift in the braking zone before turn 9.

Here's me doing a lap at Thunderhill. I didn't have the wide angle lens on so the view is a bit tight but you can hear the gear shifts.

-

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good videos guys. I need to get a camera in my car. I know we all have different set ups, but, am in 5th going into 1, down to 4th for 2, 3, 4, 3rd for 5, 5a, 4th for 6,7,8, down to 3rd for 10, 11, 12, 4th for the straight, then 3rd for 14, 15. as I am coming out of 15, just passed the rumble strips i am going into 4th and then 5th about 100 yards before the starters tower.

I have a 2002 GT with 4.10's and bolt ons only. I am consistantly 2:17-2:19 with a best of 2:16.4.

Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:
I have ... 4.10's

That's why you're one gear higher.
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Thanks for the tips Steve!

I'll look into being more consistent. FWIW, the short (.78) 5th gear makes the car a lot more fun at speed. [Smile]

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
quote:
Anyway, here's the vid of my only run yesterday. I took my Dad for a ride

I watched the video, you're doing fine but your gear selection is a bit inconsistent. Here's some recommendations...

Downshift to 3rd before going into turn 2. Stay in 3rd at least to turn 5 maybe even through turn 5 once you have more speed going over the hill.

Go to 4th gear somewhere around turn 7. Stay in 4th through turn 8 then downshift in the braking zone before turn 9.

Here's me doing a lap at Thunderhill. I didn't have the wide angle lens on so the view is a bit tight but you can hear the gear shifts.

-

Thanks for the tips Steve, It helped out tremendously this last weekend knowing what gear to be in and where. I followed your recommendations to the T. Had some minor technical issues (TPS went bad) but stil had a good time.

[ April 09, 2012, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Your welcome and I'm glad to hear it helped.

After a while gear selection becomes automatic allowing you to focus on the more important issues of how much throttle and how much steering in the corners.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com