Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Thunderhill?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Thunderhill?
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I plan on attending my first HPDE at thunder hill sometime this year. Was wondering how fast I can go on the back straight with about 450 to the wheels so I can gear my car appropriatly. As of now I have 4.10 and was thinking about stepping down to about a 3.55.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks Eric

And if you would like to hook up before an event and show me the events I would be more then willing to donate a 12 pack after the event. [patriot]

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The answer depends on the engine redline speed and whether you use 5th gear.

In general, I would expect you to run out of rpms in 4th gear on the longer front straight with 4.10 gears.

[ March 03, 2008, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Roush #92 ]

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run 3.73 and feather the pedal as I approach 5000 RPMs (in 4th) on the straights. It's not like drag racing, there's no reason to bang gears on upshifts or hit the redline 20 times a lap.

As far as how fast you can go, I wish I knew myself...my speedometer only goes up to 85

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your highest speed will be on the front straight. I know I go 125mph+. I'm not sure how fast I've actually gone because I'm concentrating on the braking zone at the end of the straight. I usually end up letting off also because I run out of gear and don't want to shift into 5th. My car is 3340lbs with driver, 321rwhp 3.55 gears.

Stop by and say hi if you make it out. I go to just about every NASA event. White '90 coupe #5.

You've got a lot of power, make sure your brakes are up to the task.

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Roush: I run about 115-120 at 6000-6500 RPM. I can spin the thing that high all day if need be.

Wolfie: Whats ur combo if yu dont mind me asking?

SFCOUPE: WOW 125 at 3340. Man I wil be at about 400rw at about 3000 with me in the car. Looks like i will step down to some 3.55. I am way concerned about my brakes to be honest with you. I have a 65 mustang with a granada swap and disc rear brakes. Fade is my biggest worry right now. Just wanna learn the tracks for my first couple events and then drive hard.

thanks for the insight guys.

Eric

P.S. i will be in a 65 mustang primerd black

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:
Wolfie: Whats ur combo if yu dont mind me asking?

351w, 9.5:1, F Cam, GT-40X, Edl Performer, Shorties, 650 Holley... Never dyno'ed but I would guess a little over 300rwhp but a crap load of torque all across the power band.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I won't worry about it the rear gears for now. Try it out and see how it works out.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com