Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » road racing check list...(preperation 4 track)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: road racing check list...(preperation 4 track)
fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastertoys1  Ford pictures for fastertoys1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking to make a check list of things i need to do to my car b4 i head out to thunderhill feb 9th .. any sugestions would be helpfull..
-oil chage/tune up
-new fluids antifreeze,trans,powersteering,brake fluid
-new brake pads (dont know which brand to go with)
-tire pressure(what psi??)

if u think of anything else please feel free to add
thanks

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is my pre-track checkout list. Getting the car up on a lift or jack stands will be needed.

- Check major suspension parts: Nothing obviously broken, bent or loose. Bushings OK. Shocks not leaking. No excessive play in the steering tie rods. Motor, trans, driveshaft mounting bolts tight.

- Remove the wheels and check the tires and rims: No cracks or bent rims. Tires in reasonable condition. No nails or cuts. Wheel studs not stripped or damaged.

- Check the brakes: Pads still have some thickness (at least 3/8" inch). Rotors not cracked. If you need pads and this is primarily a street car, something like the Hawk HPS or equivalent would be fine.

- Check for leaks: Oil, gas, water, diff fluid, brake fluid. Nothing wet from fluid that shouldn't be. Check ends of rear axles for axle seal leaks.

- Other underside checks: Clutch cable OK. Exhaust pipes/mufflers are not loose. Check any modifications you've done to the car to make sure nothing has come loose.

- Fluids: They don't have to be replaced if they're still fresh but they should be full. Worse case is follow the owners manual for fluid replacement. Some manuals list the intervals for severe duty which is even better.

- Tire pressures: Use the recommended tire pressures until you get up there. You can stop at a gas station Sat morning (and there's air at the track) and add 2-4 psi. You want the tires to be a little on the high side to help stiffen the sidewalls. Check the pressure as the day and tires heat up. You do not want to exceed the max pressure listed on the sidewall.

- Tuneup, spark plugs, etc: Not needed unless there's a problem with the car today.

The main thing is to make sure the car is safe to drive and performs as best as it can.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Becca
¯
Member # 7004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Becca  Ford pictures for Becca  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure if this applies, but I do pre-race checks on my tow vehicle and trailer too.

--------------------
Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner!

'00 Silverado 1500 LT
'91 Mustang GT

Posts: 111 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com