Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Any good open track groups running soon?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any good open track groups running soon?
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got my new Kuhmo V710's and I'm looking for any private open track days or some driving groups, like green flag to run with. Any hard core track guys out there cuz I'm looking to drive fast soon!

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shelby Club at Sears Point on Sept 8 & 9.
Green Flag at Thunderhill on Sept 29 & 30.
Shelby Club at Thunderhill Oct 20 & 21.

Sears Point is one of the most difficult tracks to learn and one of the most expensive. Thunderhill is a great track and probably the best to learn with.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey roush, do you do alot of open tracking? I rean with the Shelby club for a while but many times, such as Mini Nats, the track was like a parking lot and you could only pass in like 2 spots. So I am done with them. But Green Flag was cool and a nice mixed group of cars. Have you run with anybody else like NASA or speed ventures?

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I attend 8-10 track events a year.

Shelby Club is the strictest. They are a lot looser than they were before but still the strictest. My guess it's due to the guys running real Shelby's worth big bucks.

Green Flag is more open. Clowns and reckless drivers are not tolerated but it's a lot more relaxed than Shelby club. Just don't be a danger to yourself or anyone else and have at it.

Speed Ventures is a good group but they mostly run SoCal tracks.

NASA is good but a little different. A lot of cars, not too much track time but they are the least cost. It is a good program. Progress up the ranks and by group 4 you'll be comfortable running at speed in a pack of cars. I would recommend trying them especially if you want to eventually move to door-to-door racing.

Other groups to consider is Track Masters. Low key, well run and a good group but not geared towards full on racing.

NCRC is a little more edgy, more competitive. They have a race group but with maybe too many drivers in the open track group out to prove something (like they're good enough for the race group?)

Hooked On Driving. I attended one of their events for the first time recently at T'hill and thought they were fine. A good mix of stricter control in the novice group to much more relaxed in the advanced groups.

The bottom line is different clubs have different personalities and attract slightly different crowds. I would recommend trying different ones to see which ones you like.

For myself, I try to attend all the NASA events. I run Time Trials which is a step up from Group 4 and it's a great group. 45 experienced drivers you can run nose to tail with.

I go to all the Green Flag events and one of the best groups on and off the track. I'll run Shelby Club but their prices are getting to be too much.

[ August 27, 2007, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Roush #92 ]

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

That was a great bit of info and I hope other people are reading that so they have an idea of what group to run with. I'm gald you've driven with all these groups so you know what to expect. I've run green flag alot over the years and Tom does a great job of keeping it safe and fun. They also have given more passing zones in the green group which has been great. I did runn NASA a couple times and was talking to John Griggs about running time trials as well. I'm ready for a step up and got a little board so it sounded like the next logicle step. I would like to try soome more of these driving groups though just for the heck of it when my schedule permits. Roush, is that what your driving or you have some race only car? Thanks again for all the info on all these track clubs.

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

My car is a race prepped 1987 Mustang. It is far from street legal.

I should be at Shelby Club at Sears Point on Sat Sept 8. I've got a clutch and transmission to install and need to make sure the car is track ready. I'll also be at Green Flag at the end of Sept at Thunderhill. If you have a helmet, stop by if you want a ride.

[ September 10, 2007, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Roush #92 ]

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

I've seen this car before. One more thing. Have you ever driven on the Kuhmo V710's before. They look alot more sticky than the victorracers because the lack of tread and they seem very soft. Anyway maybe I'll hitch a ride if I make it to mini nats just to spectate. Thanks agin for the info Roush

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

V710 is a good tire. I have not run them but a few of my friends do and like them and they like them more than the Victoracers.
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Steve, this is Tim, you gave me a ride in your car at that Hooked on Driving Thill event. That ride-a-long was great but made me a little carsick!

I bought some carbotech xp-8 pads and dedicated rotors and installed some brake cooling ducts. I think that will cure my brake fade issue.

NASA is a great group to run with. They'll let you get away with some stuff but clowns and reckless drivers are called out at the mandatory down load meetings. There is a big mix of cars in the lower run groups anything from a toyota tercel to a 2007 Z06. At best you will get 1-2 open laps per session in group 1-2 the rest of the time you will need to pass people on the straights. They also want you to get a lot of seat time before moving up to group 3.

Hooked on driving was a lot more open as far as where they place you. I was able to run in the advanced group right off the bat. It's about 2x as expensive as NASA and it shows in the customers. You will see a lot more high end Europeans sports cars at HOD events.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

quote:
made me a little carsick!
I seem to have that effect on people even before they get in the car.

As a general comment and not specifically to you, don't worry what group you're in. The right group is the one where you're not significantly slower or significantly faster than the one you'e in. If you lapped the field or most of it, you should move up. If most of the field is passing you, move down. You will get faster with more seat time driving your car.

I sign up for advanced group instead of expert group with Shelby. I have enough experience to run expert but I don't have enough horsepower. I have 350Hp and some of those guys are running 600. On a track like Thunderhill, I will get lapped in the expert group.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com