Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Need to make my 1994 GT handle better, what should I get?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to make my 1994 GT handle better, what should I get?
WICKED SS
¯
Member # 197

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for WICKED SS  Ford pictures for WICKED SS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know theres basic things I can dp like subframe conectors, lower control arms but what else and who should I go with? This car is my daily driver so I dont want to put an all out race suspension on it, just something that will make the car feel firm.

It just has Eibach springs and thats it. If I start to go over 100mph the car just doesnt feel firm at all and sloppy.

--------------------
2001 Camaro SS
1995 Mustang GT 347ci - sold
1993 Supra PT74 - sold

bobh
¯
Member # 1495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobh  Ford pictures for bobh  Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Generally, you start with stiffening the chassis then move on to suspension parts.
But I'm guessing you're still on your OEM shocks/struts? They are shot. Get some new ones. Bilsteins, Tokicos or Konis.
Get a good alignment.

--------------------
97 Cobra, 87 GT vert, 99 SHO
Auto Performance Pages

WICKED SS
¯
Member # 197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WICKED SS  Ford pictures for WICKED SS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where I can get a good deal on shocks,struts,camber plates and SFC?

its been a long time since I bought stuff for my mustang, too used to buying stuff for the SS. Yes everything but the springs are stock.

Thanks

ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
contact jim at www.fourvalve.com. he's a mm dealer and will give a cafords discount if possible. go to www.maximummotorsports.com and check out the packages they sell. this will work great for you.
Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Joel Villarreal
¯
Member # 3975

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joel Villarreal  Ford pictures for Joel Villarreal    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd get Springs and Shocks first. Then start with the chassis strengthening. Shocks is what makes the car in my opinion.

The Maximum Motorsports products are GREAT. I work part-time at Maier Racing and he's a distributor for Maximum.

[URL=http://www.maierracing.com][/URL]

--------------------
68 Fastback, 302, headers, RPM intake and a holley, T-5, Detroit Locker. Many Maier Racing Suspension and Fiberglass

98 Z28 M6. kinda stock

Posts: 21 | From: San Lorenzo | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcm3man  Ford pictures for jcm3man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would have to agree with the "shocks" at the very least. You need to control the dampening of your suspension and without a shock to match your springs... you will experience a very rough ride and you will also experience a feeling of the car being tempermental or twitchy. With your stock shocks always being compressed they don't have the ability to rebound like an aftermarket shock designed for your springs would and this creates that rough ride.

Shocks, in my opinion, would be necessary to work with the springs you have on your car. There are definitely other suspension improvements to look at, but "shocks" are basically a necessity right now.

John

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com
Diablosport, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, etc.

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are your goals? handeling or launching. atleast do subframe connectors. they whatever your goal for the car happens to be, get the matching shock/strut combo.
then when thats done find some good control arms. i like X2C, and i would have them on my car if i still had my '94. but in the mean time, ill toss them on the 86 along with the coil overs. and the other x,000 worth of parts in my closet. lol [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check out the kits that companies like MM and Steeda sell. Start with stage one and keep going up until your car handles like you want it to [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com