Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Sears Pt open-track event. Mon-Tue Dec 8-9

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Sears Pt open-track event. Mon-Tue Dec 8-9
bobh
¯
Member # 1495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobh  Ford pictures for bobh  Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's put on by a group called Tracquest. I've instructed with them once before and it's run pretty well. They offer free instruction to anyone asking so it's a really nice way to start if it's your first or second time out on the track. Sears Pt/Infineon is a helluva track.

www.tracquest.com

Maybe see you there (I'll be in the Pacific Green Cobra).

--------------------
97 Cobra, 87 GT vert, 99 SHO
Auto Performance Pages

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOAH!! Thats way expensive for an open track. I just ran their on sunday for $250. $400 on a moday is insane. [Eek!]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
mostang
¯
Member # 3352

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mostang  Ford pictures for mostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So what's up if you've never raced before and have a stock GT?? I'm guessing I need to buy a helmet and have a wad of cash to get on the track, start in the slow group and have an instructor. Is that the jist of it????
I'd love to go out and run 2-3 times a year but don't want to break the bank or my car. [burnout]

--------------------
99 GT ragtop, Flows, True Flow drop in and 3.73's
1985 Caprice Classic Very Tired 305

Posts: 182 | From: Castro Valley, originally Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are seriously interested in trying, Hotchkis does a track day at Buttonwillow in May. cost is approx. $200. You need a snell 2000 helmet, pants (no shorts), decent tires, and a tank of gas. They have people there too help you learn the proper lines, where and where not to pass. So on and so on. Also another good group to learn from is www.trackmasters.com I just did there event at sears on sunday, really fun. Most groups use NASA rules, so you may just want tocheck there website, for events dates, and more on what you need to start.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
bobh
¯
Member # 1495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobh  Ford pictures for bobh  Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All the info should be at their website. I believe they loan/rent helmets. I checked the price and yeah, 400 bucks is high. What you'll get for that is an uncrowded track and instruction.

You should also have a bit of "ground school" before. Go to www.norcal-saac.org and follow the Open Track Info link. More info Performance driving

Years ago I ran Nasa at Sears and Thunderhill's own Driver's Ed event. They are about half the price. The difference is you'll have 45 to 60 cars on the track at the same time as opposed to (I'm guessing) 15 with Tracquest. Driving in those crowded events is like rush hour. You don't learn squat. But it's your money.

You might want to check www.thunderhill.com and see when they're running their school.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
You might want to check www.thunderhill.com and see when they're running their school.
It's becoming more difficult to attend the track-based schools with a convertible. The Thunderhill school won't accept any convertibles. Buttonwillow requires a rollbar for their school. I expect this new Thunderhill restriction to hurt attendance as it has been popular with the Miata, S2000, etc people.

Shelby, NASA, and NCRC are 3 popular clubs that also require rollbars. Check into TrackMasters, Speed Ventures, ClubZ and Unlimited Laps. They all have web sites.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com