Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Starting road racing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting road racing
THE KID
Member # 3597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE KID  Ford pictures for THE KID    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If a person wanted to get started in roadracing where and how would I start. I live in san francisco so the tracks would have to be close. Also I am no were near rich so initial startup cost including car would have to be monimal. Also do I have to take classes to get a special licince. Any help on how to get started [Smile]
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
back roads late at night [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
bobh
¯
Member # 1495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobh  Ford pictures for bobh  Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You want to start open-tracking.

Go to the NorCal Shelby Club web site and follow the link to Open Track Info.
http://www.norcal-saac.org

There are numberous clubs that rent tracks plus have instruction for newbies. Nasa is one. Go to the track's website, see who's renting.

--------------------
97 Cobra, 87 GT vert, 99 SHO
Auto Performance Pages

Cobra 427
¯
Member # 755

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobra 427  Ford pictures for Cobra 427    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bob's right!

Check out NASA for one their HPDE courses or take the one day course up a T-Hill.

This will at least get your "feet wet" and give you an idea of what road racing is about with some instruction.

As a beginner, it is your skills that you will need to grow - don't worry so much about what kinda car to get, or how to build it. Any car that's fun on the street will work well in an HPDE type course.

Have Fun,
Randy R...

Posts: 95 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bobh:

There are numberous clubs that rent tracks plus have instruction for newbies. Nasa is one. Go to the track's website, see who's renting.

Ohh shit they have my friends step dad car in there. that 72mavrick. well hes in iraq,kwait right now but hell be back in no time! [patriot]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey
there is a couple great racing clubs out there that you can join.

first off, join either the Shelby Club or the NCRC (norther California Racing Club). i am a member of the NCRC, and their events go from, Sears Point (Infineon Raceway), Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, etc. you can learn alot from going to a racing event, and driving with an instructor, cause its free to have someone teach you when you race on the track. if you want someone moer close to home, join the SCCA. they have TONS of AutoX events each months in the bay area, and that would be tons of fun for you. you will learn a great amount if you do a few events.

-marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://track-days.org/

That's a listing of all of the stuff going on.

I've run open track with the Shelby Club, and HPDE with NASA, always at Sears Point. Both are good groups, but I'd say NASA is a little better if you want some instruction and are looking to progress to some sort of racing.

Good luck,

Ed

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510:
quote:
Originally posted by bobh:

Ohh shit they have my friends step dad car in there. that 72mavrick. well hes in iraq,kwait right now but hell be back in no time! [patriot]
I miss my old man's maverick... it was a bad ass car... he wouldnt let me buy it from him and then my shithead bro got it for free and abandonded it... even after I told pops that I wanted it still he junked it. it had shitloads of goodparts on it too.. long live the maverick! [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by THE KID:
If a person wanted to get started in roadracing where and how would I start. I live in san francisco so the tracks would have to be close. Also I am no were near rich so initial startup cost including car would have to be monimal. Also do I have to take classes to get a special licince. Any help on how to get started [Smile]

Do you have a car?...What year, make and model?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
disco 302
¯
Member # 3821

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for disco 302  Ford pictures for disco 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been autocrossing for years it is alot of fun and broken parts. but it is worth it completely. Once you start doing it you will become a much better driver

--------------------
Drugs Sex Rock n Roll Badass Vegas Hoes Shiny Disco Balls.

Posts: 29 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com