Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Anyone doing the OTC.?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone doing the OTC.?
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was curious does anyone run in the OTC. curcuit? If so what were the tracks like, any set-up tips?

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I haven't raced OTC yet, but I know the guys who organize it. It's a pretty grueling event, but supposedly a ton of fun with lots of comraderie.
Do you have road racing experience already? I can comment on track setup for Buttonwillow and Thunderhill. (As well as Laguna and Sears Point, but OTC doesn't run those two tracks.)
If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have some open track experience, know the limits of what the car can and can't do pretty well. As far as pointers for Buttonwillow and Thunderhill and also Sears anything would help. I have ran Buttonwillow before, I do Sears point 11/9.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's your car setup (engine, suspension, brakes, etc.)?
Are you trying to really be competitive in OTC or just have a good time?

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ok, this is what I got so far:

Car: 97 GT
Suspension mods: Front- Toykico Illumina 5way struts, Steeda coilovers, QA1 250 12" or 400 14" springs(looking for 350 12"'s), Steeda Offset rack bushings, Steeda Tubular Sway Bar, Steeda Strut Brace, Hotchkis CC Plates, Energey short endlinks.
Rear- MM LCA's with adj. spring perches and spherical bushings, Steeda Al. UCA's, Cobra Sway bar, Monroe rear shocks, Eibach Pro springs(about to switch to Sportlines on Friday.) CGS Tubular Subframe connectors, Lakewood Driveshaft Loop.
Brakes- Install 27th, Bullitt Front and Rear calipers, Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads, Russell SS lines.
Drivetrain- the Usual bolt-ons, intake, pullies, intake spacer, offroad H, spintechs, al shaft, spec clutch, still 3:27's.

I would like to be as competitve as possible. I have fun either way.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Ok, this is what I got so far:

Car: 97 GT
Suspension mods: Front- Toykico Illumina 5way struts, Steeda coilovers, QA1 250 12" or 400 14" springs(looking for 350 12"'s), Steeda Offset rack bushings, Steeda Tubular Sway Bar, Steeda Strut Brace, Hotchkis CC Plates, Energey short endlinks.
Rear- MM LCA's with adj. spring perches and spherical bushings, Steeda Al. UCA's, Cobra Sway bar, Monroe rear shocks, Eibach Pro springs(about to switch to Sportlines on Friday.) CGS Tubular Subframe connectors, Lakewood Driveshaft Loop.
Brakes- Install 27th, Bullitt Front and Rear calipers, Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads, Russell SS lines.
Drivetrain- the Usual bolt-ons, intake, pullies, intake spacer, offroad H, spintechs, al shaft, spec clutch, still 3:27's.

I would like to be as competitve as possible. I have fun either way.

For the front, the Tokicos are fine, but I'd go with a shorter spring, such as the 10" 350s I have in stock. The longer the spring (i.e. 12"+), the less tire clearance you'll have if you go with wider wheels/tires. 10" is the max I'd recommend. In the higher rates, we even use 8" springs, which gives clearance for 275mm+ front tires. The Hotchkis c/c plates use a urethane bushing up top, which is far from ideal. As you enter a corner, the top of the strut will move, changing your alignment, which is not good. (We use MaxMotorsports plates, which have a spherical bearing as the strut mount.) And every car that has come in here with Hotchkis plates and a coil-over kit has bent c/c plates. I wouldn't trust them at all for even street driving. They're just not strong enough. The 4-bolt MM plates are overly-strong. Also, depending on the rate of the front sway bar, it may be too stiff, which will create more understeer at the track.
In the rear, you'll exhibit more roll oversteer with the stiffer (non-stock) upper control arms. This can be outright dangerous as speeds increase, and it's VERY difficult to catch a Mustang with stiffer upper arms once it starts to oversteer. The Monroe shocks won't help you at all. At a minimum, you should have Tokico Illuminas to match the front, if not upgrade to Koni Sports. As for rear springs, Sportlines are too low and the rate is all wrong. All Sportlines are for is dropping a Mustang in the weeds and making the rear of the car sit on the pinion snubber. Remember, low is not necessarily better for a Mustang. Our 10" 350lb. rear springs work great and are low enough to lower the center of gravity, tall enough to allow good suspension travel.
Brakes look OK, but I'd rather have Baer or Brembo rotors than the Powerslots. Last time I saw Powerslots, they were based off the older Kelsey-Hayes/Raybestos rotors and not the '99+ Cobra Brembo rotors. I'd definitely recommend a plain Brembo rotor over a slotted older-style rotor. I have the Brembos in stock for only $99 each. And I'd recommend a good brake fluid, like the Cartel 570 Racing Brake Fluid that we use. Good stuff!
If you need pricing on anything, just PM me. Otherwise, if you have any other questions, fire away!
[burnout]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ok, now the spring you recomend for the back, are those for coil-overs, becuase the arms I have are the MM with adj. spring perches. The rotors I went with are actually made by AMICO. They are a slotted 99+ cobra rotors, and they are nickel plated.

Ok, first question, how adjustable are the MM c/c plates to get around a KB strut brace on an 03 cobra? Also will they kit around a Steeda Sturt brace on my 97? Also can you PM me a price on the 10" 350's for my front suspension.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Ok, now the spring you recomend for the back, are those for coil-overs, becuase the arms I have are the MM with adj. spring perches. The rotors I went with are actually made by AMICO. They are a slotted 99+ cobra rotors, and they are nickel plated.

--The rotors may FIT the '99+ Cobra, but they're not Brembos. The non-Brembos are more prone to warping under extreme heat, FYI.
As for the rear arms, the fact that they're height-adjustable is a benefit, because you'll definitely want to raise up the Sportlines.

quote:
Ok, first question, how adjustable are the MM c/c plates to get around a KB strut brace on an 03 cobra? Also will they kit around a Steeda Sturt brace on my 97? Also can you PM me a price on the 10" 350's for my front suspension. [/QB]
--They should fit with no problems, but I'll call MM on Tuesday to confirm.
The springs are $65.65 each with your 10% CAFords discount, and I have them in stock.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com