Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Tire question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tire question
Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got 17X9 cobra r's, when i get new tires should i get 255 up front/275 in back?.....doesn't have wider on the back make the car like "hunt" and harder to place.....I don't see how having unequal tire sizes can improve handling, what do you guys recommend?

--------------------
I miss you StoplightWarrior :(

Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tri-Bar  Ford pictures for Tri-Bar  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed Nitto's 555RII's. 275-40-17 on all 4 with 2003 Cobra rims. I have only driven the car alittle. So far no wondering. Tracks very well. You should put the widest tire you can get under the car. The 275's work well.

--------------------
http://68.58.185.21/Tri-BarMotorsports/index.html

Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
275's up front i think would rub a lot....with 245/45 my tire rubs when i am turning around etc.. to the left. Is it bad for cornering to have like 245 up front 275 up back?
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have wheels spacers and the fender lips rolled, this might allow you to run those 275's all around. Remember WIDER IS BETTER!!!!! [worship]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Rally1
¯
Member # 2537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rally1  Ford pictures for Rally1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You better get a bump steer kit if you put 275's up front cause your car will be all over the road gripping every little flaw in the pavement. You will be fighting against your car and make sure your tie rods are strong cause big tires like that will test those babies out good. I have 245's up front and 295's in the back on 18" chrome saleens with a good 2" drop all around thanks to Ebach sportlines. I put the bumpsteer from steeda and their balljoint they have when you drop it but that is beside the point and I haul ass around corners on my Bridgestone Potenza So3's.Good luck! [burnout]

--------------------
Stop with the excuses and race bitch!!

Rally1
¯
Member # 2537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rally1  Ford pictures for Rally1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
!!!!! [Razz]

--------------------

Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tri-Bar  Ford pictures for Tri-Bar  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All four fenders are rolled. I only have spacers in the rear of the car.I Autocrossed the car on the 9th. Still need to need to get the push out, so I will soften up the front(smaller front sway bar, 1 1/8 I think), Running 245 in front with 275 or larger will only make the car push more. The front needs as much tire you can stuff under the fender. I drove the car to the event with out any troble, about 40 miles. It drove very well, did not have to fight it at all, trimlining is all in the set up.. After the race I checked for rubbing and found very little but what I did find will be addressed. Now with the 255 front and the 275 rear may work if you find the you have a little oversteer but if you pushing I would go with 255 front and rear or 275 front and rear.

--------------------
http://68.58.185.21/Tri-BarMotorsports/index.html

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On your '95 with 9" Cobra R wheels, I recommend 275/40s all around. This combo is the most popular here at APEX.
Generally, the only place the front tires will rub is the convex portion of the driver's front fender liner. It's simply a matter of heating up the liner with a torch (not TOO hot, mind you!) and pushing the liner in until it cools. That will give you the necessary clearance.
If you have a larger front sway bar (which I don't recommend anyway), you might have some rubbing there.
The Mustang needs as wide a tire as you can fit in front, and 275s fit the bill nicely. Also, 275 is as wide as you should go on a 9" rim.
If the car wanders or darts, it's because of either the tread design or the alignment. Some performance tires just hunt a little bit in road grooves and require steering input. That's the nature of the beast.
For an alignment for spirited street driving, I recommend the following:
Camber: -1.0
Caster: Max. positive, staggered for road crown
Toe: 1/16" TOTAL toe in

Toe out will cause dartiness, but it's preferred by autocrossers for superior steering response. I don't recommend zero toe or toe out for a street car.

[ March 13, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Bill/APEX Motorsports ]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Only thing is i already rub when cranking the wheel to the left w/ 245's

--------------------

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's rubbing? Tire against fender liner? Swaybar? Control arm?
Are they authentic Cobra R wheels or fakes? I've seen some fakes that were not the same offset as the authentic Cobra Rs, and that caused rubbing issues.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Rally1
¯
Member # 2537

If you do not have 24mm offset your screwed in the big tire department.

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jerm95gt:
Only thing is i already rub when cranking the wheel to the left w/ 245's

if you would've read the post, Bill has addressed the issue perfectly

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

They are suppose to be authentic. I am not sure what it rubs. It only rubs like when im turning around in a lot or something and i turn all the way to the left...All that heating up the fenderwell guards sounds like something that is hard. Does ur shop do that? if so how much for?

--------------------

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

quote:
Originally posted by Jerm95gt:
They are suppose to be authentic. I am not sure what it rubs. It only rubs like when im turning around in a lot or something and i turn all the way to the left...All that heating up the fenderwell guards sounds like something that is hard. Does ur shop do that? if so how much for?

When can put your car up in the air and check to see what's rubbing. If the tire's hitting the fender liner, we can certainly do the modification. It takes about 15 minutes.
Just give me a call at (408) 562-1000 to set up an appointment. It shouldn't take too long! Thanks!

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would run 275's all the way around, that way you can rotate them after you have doen all your break stands [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com