Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » MM or Griggs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: MM or Griggs
Roush97
¯
Member # 2303

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush97  Ford pictures for Roush97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 97 Roush GT and I want to beef up the suspension. I don't know anyone that has put MM or Griggs on their car but I hear that either are supposed to be the shit for mustangs. I don't really mind a stiff ride but the car is my daily driver. I have the Roush side exhaust so clearance may be an issue for a torque arm. Well I am open to suggestions, I would like to hear what everyone else thinks. [patriot]

--------------------
FS: 1997 Roush Stage 1 GT; 03 cobra engine, T56, and IRS. 415rwhp, 445rwtq----SOLD

Posts: 292 | From: Bay Area California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IMO i think www.griggsracing.com is #1 but also the most expensive.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GR40coupe:
IMO i think www.griggsracing.com is #1 but also the most expensive.

[patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I think you need to decide which direction you want to go - a race setup, a street/roard corse setup, or just an enhanced street setup before you decide on what system (either griggs or MM). But while you are deciding - read a little about what some people feel are the benifits/drawbacks to each system here .

have fun! [dance] [burnout]

--------------------
Mark K

2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 1989 Black Mustang GT - the Savage

Posts: 152 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Roush97
¯
Member # 2303

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush97  Ford pictures for Roush97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has anyone installed the mm panhard rod and torque arm themselves? Is it hard to do? I work in a shop so I would have a rack and I have a full compliment of tools but do they require welding and modifications to the chassis? I hate to pay someone to do it for me but I also don't want to screw up some expensive hardware not to mention the car itself. For street use and some open track, would a phb, torque arm, and the appropriate MM springs be a good setup to go with?

--------------------
FS: 1997 Roush Stage 1 GT; 03 cobra engine, T56, and IRS. 415rwhp, 445rwtq----SOLD

Posts: 292 | From: Bay Area California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, Mr. Racer Cosmo didn't stick up for Grigg's (employer) so I may be swayed [Confused]

--------------------

stanger91
¯
Member # 397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger91  Ford pictures for stanger91  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I sell Mximum Motorsports, and give board members a nice discount. So when your ready to order email me jim@fourvalve.com [Smile]

--------------------
E.T 12.314@126.300

Posts: 778 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would be scared to buy anything from Griggs, after the SHIT that they put 9Cobra8 through [Mad] ....He still hasnt got his car back yet..He spent a LOT of money and hes now on his 3rd Griggs motor!! [Eek!] ..They might be good at suspension but what ever you do dont get your 4valve rebuilt there!!...

Maximum Motorsports has great customer service..I had a problem with my H&R springs,(They were too low in the front), they gave me a full refund and tried to help me out with a set of new springs....A couple of the guys that work there have been to some of our "cafords" events...They've helped me out with questions not even concerning suspension or Maximum Motorsports.. [Smile]

IF I were buying a product of any kind its good to know that the company will stand behind their products....I would choose MM for suspension..Both companies offer great suspension but its the customer service that sells me... [Wink]
[patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
01blacksnake
Member # 2405

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01blacksnake  Ford pictures for 01blacksnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went for a ride with John griggs in a clients car one day. To put it lightly I was impressed. It was a very very slow blown 96 vert also in for motor work. It had the full subframe connectors,torque arm,coil overs ect. The ride and handling were impressive. If you can go see him do it. He spent a couple hours with me. He also wanted me to drop 10k to fix fords IRS with a solid axle or stick as he likes to call them. Just my two cents. good luck
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10K for a solid rear axle?..Wow thats expensive!! [Eek!] I know Bruce knows his shit, but
a FULLY built 8.8 OR 9" is around $2000.-$3000....So Griggs wants $7000-$8000.labor to install a solid rear axle? [Roll Eyes]

I'm glad I know how to work on my own car...

[ February 09, 2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Roush97:
For street use and some open track, would a phb, torque arm, and the appropriate MM springs be a good setup to go with?

Dude - bite the bullet and just get the complete Road & Track box from MM. For everything you don't think you can install - just have Maier Racing in Hayward do the rest... or have them do it all. For what it seems that you are wanting to do - this setup will work quite well for you. You need to keep in mind that this is designed as a package and all components included compliment each other. It's well thought out and I'm sure you won't regret going this route.

And yes - I have the complete Road & Track box installed on the 01 Cobra. I highly reccommend it for the street & occational track use. I'll admit right now it's not as good as the Griggs... but not everyone needs the Griggs setup just to enjoy a little spirited driving on the twisties or a romp or three at the road course. It's all about spending what you need to get the desired results and not spending the bank on stuff you don't need or will rarely see the benifit of having.

--------------------
Mark K

2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 1989 Black Mustang GT - the Savage

Posts: 152 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
lowerd96
¯
Member # 515

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowerd96  Ford pictures for lowerd96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had griggs on my 96 GT, and although the car couldn't get out of its own way on a straight aways, nothing could keep up with it in the corners. It was an amazing handling car with the griggs, and I'm currently looking for an early 90's coupe to build just based on the griggs suspension. I started with the basic coil-overs front and rear, with adjustable koni's, subframes and C/C plates and the car was like night and day. Then added lower control arms in the rear and a-arms in the front. Another huge difference. Then wanted more so I put the panhard and torque arm on. The griggs is totally buildable to suit your needs from plain amazing, to completely scary handling. A guy here at work has a 2002 carrera 4 porsche that he always braggs about, well, he followed me up to Highway 9 one saturday and within 5 or 6 turns I never saw him again.... I could hear him breaking loose on corners that I was still pulling hard through. Anyway, this is getting long....I'm a huge fan of griggs and still wish i had my griggs car.....I need another!
Oh, I drove my 96 everyday, with numerous road trips to Vegas, So. Cal, Nor. Cal, and never once was it not streetable.....go with griggs!

--------------------
2002 F-350, Standard Cab, XLT, Power Stroke Diesel, 4x4, 6 speed....4" exhaust, 80 hp chip...

1988 Bronco, 351W, C6, 6inch lift, 36 Swamper TSL's, 35 spline 9 inch rear, disk brakes, Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker Front, 4:10's, 8 point cage.

1981 Toyota SR5 Longbed, 22re, 5spd, Marlin Crawler Dual Cases, 4.88 high pinions w/ detroits f/r, High Steer, 5 inch Alcan's, 33 Swamper TSL's....

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by lowerd96:
nothing could keep up with it in the corners.

really, nothing could keep up with it?

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rr_mustang:
quote:
nothing could keep up with it in the corners.

really, nothing could keep up with it?
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
lowerd96
¯
Member # 515

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowerd96  Ford pictures for lowerd96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
give me a break....I railed that car with porsche's, imports, other stangs, camero's, an R1 took me in the turns....of course there is something out there, probably a lot of things, but the year that I had it and drove it hard, nothing really kept up that well. just get the griggs and enjoy it.

--------------------
2002 F-350, Standard Cab, XLT, Power Stroke Diesel, 4x4, 6 speed....4" exhaust, 80 hp chip...

1988 Bronco, 351W, C6, 6inch lift, 36 Swamper TSL's, 35 spline 9 inch rear, disk brakes, Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker Front, 4:10's, 8 point cage.

1981 Toyota SR5 Longbed, 22re, 5spd, Marlin Crawler Dual Cases, 4.88 high pinions w/ detroits f/r, High Steer, 5 inch Alcan's, 33 Swamper TSL's....

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
just get the griggs and enjoy it.

[patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com