Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » American Iron Series

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: American Iron Series
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone try to get into this series or is in it, I was thinking about getting into it within the next couple of years and I was wondering how hard it would be. The AI series looks like something I could competet in but the AIX or extreme looks a little too tough for me. Anyone got any info besides stuff out of mags and from their site it would be appreciated, thanks.
Ryan [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What specifically would you like to know? I am not a driver, but I worked on cars and was at every race this year. If you are available next weekend, NASA is running at Sears point. American Iron isn't racing, but at least one car will be there testing, I'll be working with him.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's not this coming weekend, but the next one after that.

--------------------

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:
What specifically would you like to know?

are you looking for info on car setup, rules, lap times? I would say the best thing to do is attend a few of the races, talk to the drivers and ask them any questions that you may have. Nothing better than first-hand experience.
I am also comtemplating AI, but my current HP/weight ratio would hinder that.

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:
American Iron isn't racing, but at least one car will be there testing, I'll be working with him.

Who's car are you going to be working on?

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Keith Videtto. He actually has someone else bringing the car, and they'll be doing most of the work. My services have been requested by one of his friends for help with his Z-06. I am just extra assurance for Keith.

[ January 30, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: racercosmo ]

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this wouldn't probably be for the next couple of years but it definately sounds affordable and for the guy that said his power to weight ration, What about American Iron Extreme. How much faster are those cars??? Sounds like an affordable series for the average joe. Looks like I'll be seeing you guys soon. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

The big difference between AI and AIX is the power level. It doesn't necessarily cost tons more money to build a 400 HP engine over a 300 hp engine. If you have a car, or buy a cheap 4 cyl coupe, by doing most of the work yourself you can build a competetive car for probably $15-20,000. $5000 onn a cage, $5000+ on suspension and brakes, $5000+ on a good engine. Right now AI is the more competetive class, but rumors put some serious machines being built for the Extreme class this coming year. If you are in the area of Sears Point, come out to the Griggs shop and you can see a few cars, and get some questions answered.

--------------------

Mario@Strictly-Motorsports
¯
Member # 381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mario@Strictly-Motorsports  Ford pictures for Mario@Strictly-Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Next month 03/7~9 @ the California Speedway is the AI kickoff for the season. It might be worth the trip down to check it out.

Ponies at the Speedway!

--------------------
Mario

Posts: 221 | From: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there a email address or something, I was wondering if svos or atleast svo engines are allowed???

in the rules they say the car needs to make 9.5hp per pound but they dont specify what size engine those that mean it doesnt matter?

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

It doesn't matter what engine you have, whether it's a turbo 2.3, blown 408 or a gas turbine, as long as you meet the power to weight formula, it's ok. You do need to keep brand integrity however, so you can put a Ford into any Ford, a Pontiac into a Buick or Oldsmobile, but you can't put a Dodge motor in a Chevy.

--------------------

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks bro,

so if my car makes 250 to the wheels then ill be at 2375 right?

what do you think is more important in road racing weight or horspower?

Also is it ok to have a adjustable boost regulator in the engine compartment?

Alen

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is that LB/RWHP or LB/net HP, 'cause it makes a HUGE difference, lol. I'm closer to 9.5 lbs/RWHP.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

quote:
Originally posted by FordPny:
250 to the wheels

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

quote:
quote:
250 to the wheels

I think I can achieve that if 4 plug wires are disconnected [Big Grin]

just put in a V-8

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

quote:
Originally posted by rr_mustang:
quote:
quote:
250 to the wheels

I think I can achieve that if 4 plug wires are disconnected [Big Grin]

just put in a V-8

oh thats a low blow

But wouldnt you need a valve and gasoline for them 4 cyls [Wink] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

I actually was thinking of bitting the bullet and throwing in a carb 302 but thats just more money.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com