Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Tires

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tires
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it possible to get good sticky tires that don't tramline?
Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is tramline?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2,500 posts, a sweet-ass Saleen and you don't know what tramlining is?!?!?!?!?

J/K

Tramlining is when your tires grip any little rut or channel in the road and want to follow it. It really pisses me off. Sometimes it happens so bad that the steering wheel jerks pretty hard. I'm just waiting for the day when a cop is behind me when it happens and pulls me over for DUI.

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ooh,
I got it. Thanks

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by darien87:
Is it possible to get good sticky tires that don't tramline?

Well I am not sure if this is a valid term or one that you have conjured up. If you could validify the term that would be great....

The following link properly describes the affect of wheel/tire drift based upon suspension geometry (in relation to caster/camber). Personally, I have not seen the effects of this due to sticky tires, rather the width of the tire - the wider the tire, the more drift or pull.

Road Crown, Tire, and Suspension Effect on the Vehicle Straight-Ahead Motion

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

lol, yeah I just pulled tramline out of my ass cuz it sounded good.

Nah, I got it off of corner carvers. I'd never heard the term myself until I read a post over there. If it's not correct, don't blame me.

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Considering the source is quite reputable, I would agree the existance of the term. I did a search for it but could not find anything. Could you point me to the link?

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Cobra 427
¯
Member # 755

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra 427  Ford pictures for Cobra 427    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've always know that as "hunting", and I believe it's primariy due to running BIAS ply (vs. Radial) sticky tires. I feel this a lot with my Bias ply 15" goodyear racing slicks...
Posts: 95 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Never heard of bias ply. How do you find out if your tires are bias ply or radial? Does this mean that bias ply tires tramline more than radial tires?
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to have Yokohama A520 and those tires wanted to stick onto cracks in the road especially on the freeways when they go from asphalt to concrete. Thats the main reason I would never get those tires again and they have terrible tread wear.

--------------------
Support our troops!

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

I've got Kuhmo Ecsta 245/45's right now, and other than the fact that they tramline like a bitch, I love 'em. They grip as well as, if not better, than my Pirelli's and were only $100 each! Haven't driven them in the rain yet though, so I don't know how they are for wet traction.

But I think rr's got a point about the size of the tire being a factor, because I don't remember tramlining at all before I got the ROH rims and went to 245 tires.

griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My R's 18x9.5" wheels had BfG KD's in the rear, which I replaced with the Kuhmo Ecsta's all around. 275/35zr18 and both sets of tires seemed to follow every crack in the road. The front seems to do it more often since I took the 245's off and put on the 275's. The rear was really pulling from side to side until I had a 4 wheel alignment done.

The 245/45zr17 tires on the 01's 17x8 inch wheels don't seem to tramline at all. [burnout]

--------------------
2001 Cobra Vert #678 of 3384
269 SAE rwhp 279 Tq stock
2000 Cobra R #154 of 300
395 SAE rwhp 398 Tq
1986 Mustang SVO daily driver

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by darien87:
Never heard of bias ply. How do you find out if your tires are bias ply or radial? Does this mean that bias ply tires tramline more than radial tires?

You absolutely have radial tires on your car. Bias Ply haven't been used wide spread on passenger cars for 20 or so years

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"Hunting" is when you front end doesn't stay planted around corners it hops around a bit.

Tramline or whatver you call it i think is neccesary if you have sticky sticky tires. I think sticky tires grip really well for smooth tracks/ or even some road surfaces but when you hit rough road the tires are so good and sticky that they follow the cracks in the road. (Just a guess). I have never heard of anyone having this problem on street tires???? Like Kuhmos or Yokohamas........My guess is that it's not the tires...

--------------------
I miss you StoplightWarrior :(

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

quote:
Originally posted by Jerm95gt:
"Hunting" is when you front end doesn't stay planted around corners it hops around a bit.

Funny, I thought the rest of civilization calls that bump-steer. Review "cobra427's" term of "hunting", which is in fact valid.

Common Definitions

Not one of the best sources, but informative....

quote:
Tramline or whatver you call it i think is neccesary if you have sticky sticky tires. I think sticky tires grip really well for smooth tracks/ or even some road surfaces but when you hit rough road the tires are so good and sticky that they follow the cracks in the road. (Just a guess). I have never heard of anyone having this problem on street tires???? Like Kuhmos or Yokohamas........My guess is that it's not the tires...
So, this (tramlining or hunting) only happens with race tires and when they are hot. Then why is it that when coming home from work somethimes at, let's say 3 or 4 am the tires tend to pull (without road crown being a factor). Obiously at this time of the morning, my tires are not getting hot, at least not as hot as race tires on a race track during the middle of the day, and I am using stock tires on my SS(Goodyear Eagle F1 - 275-40-17). Whereas on my Mustang with 245-40-17 tires, same aspect ratio and same rim diameter, there is less hunting even on the same roads. I have also seen the same effect with my truck (275-70-17's), comapred to another truck I owned with 245-70-16, the pull was not as predominant. Based on these two factors, heat nor race tires have an effect on the fact that my car is still pulling towards the grooves or large cracks in the road.

Once again, great article and quite informative:

Road Crown, Tire, and Suspension Effect on the Vehicle Straight-Ahead Motion

cosmo/cobra427 your thoughts......

[ November 14, 2002, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: rr_mustang ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com