Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Sticky tires for street/track use? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sticky tires for street/track use?
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need some new tires soon, and I want some that will give a good grab when they are warmed up. I heard that kuhmo has some and bf goodrich also. I only drive my car on the weekends, so tread wear is not a problem. Also I don't drive in the rain.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had some Comp TA ZR's and hated em. picked up some sumitomo hrtz2's and i was very happy. good price on em too. [burnout]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well nothing beats a set of slicks, I like the Hoosier R3S03's. For an all around tire I prefer either the Bridgestone S-03's or the Yok AVS Sports. The Bridgestones are more expensive, but handle great (for street tires) by the second sesson when they really heat up. The Yoks are cheaper and still work well.
Could getting a set of track rims/slicks and swapping at the track be an option?

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brian, i drove a saleen with P-zero tires, and then the same car later with the Bridgestone S-O3's, and the bridgestones handled much better. Way less drifting and squeeking, but are very pricy.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yokohama A032's are great if you don't mind 6,000 miles being optomistic for treadwear.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kumho Ecsta MX

I bought Yokohama A520 because the Kumhos were on backorder and they seem to work great on the street and track. Would have prefered the Kumhos for a little bit better treadwear.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rr_mustang:
Well nothing beats a set of slicks, I like the Hoosier R3S03's.
Could getting a set of track rims/slicks and swapping at the track be an option?

If I was not buying a house at the moment, I could afford to do that, but I will need tires within a couple months, and spending $ on shit I don't need is out of the question. I would eventually like to buy a second set for racing

Yokohama A032's or Bridgestone S-03's are looking good tome, now do they make both in 18"?

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the BFG G-force KD's are the best actual street tires you can buy. they are over 200 a piece
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
the BFG G-force KD's are the best actual street tires you can buy.

Good street tires indeed, but that's it. Get them on the track, once they are really heated they handle like sh!t and the knobs begin to deteriorate.

Well I can understand not wanting to purchase two sets (one street, one track) right now, as your priorities are in order. Although they are not that expensive being ~220ea. As far as size goes, I am not that sure, you can check available sizes on Tire Rack's website.

Cobra 427
¯
Member # 755

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobra 427  Ford pictures for Cobra 427    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm really happy with S-03's on my Bullitt. I got Wheel Works to match TireRack's price (+$19 per tire for mounting and stuff).

I ran LSIR with Nor Cal Shelby in May on them. Very predictable, good feedback and responsible. I highly recommend them. Tred wear is outstanding (surprisingly so), as I've got 6K miles on them with little sign of wear. They handle well in the rain also.

FYI - my Bullitt is my daily driver...

Hope this helps,
Randy R...

Posts: 95 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know that you CAN get the S03's in 18"
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually, I am almost certain that the A032 is not available in 18". 275/40/17 and 315/35/17 are the two biggest sizes.
The Toyo Proxes RA-1 is a good tire for the track, they may not have as much grip as a Hoosier or Kumho, but the longevity is much better than both. I don't know anybody that uses them on the street however. It comes in full tread depth, we get them shaved to 3/32"s for racing, and they wear very well. They are available in 275/35/18 and 335/30/18. The T1-s is a good tire as well, but it is actually a street tire, not an R compound. They are available in 265, 275, 285, and 295/35/18

www.toyo.com

[ October 23, 2002, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: racercosmo ]

--------------------

Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Procharged2Kv6  Ford pictures for Procharged2Kv6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where can you purchase a set of those Bridgestone SO-3's???

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
*SOLD*Supercharged V6 Stang
(11PSI)

Posts: 579 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

www.tirerack.com

--------------------

Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Procharged2Kv6  Ford pictures for Procharged2Kv6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do 285's and 295s make a difference?? performance and looks??

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
*SOLD*Supercharged V6 Stang
(11PSI)

Posts: 579 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

quote:
Originally posted by Procharged2Kv6:
performance and looks??

Aren't those directly correlated? [Big Grin]

I honestly dont think 10cm will make that much of a difference in lap times. Driver error would void that anyway.

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

S281Cobra
NOTAFKE
Member # 338

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S281Cobra  Ford pictures for S281Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brian

SO-3's are great tires I'd put them very close to Bfgoodrich Gforce-KD's in the dry, and in the wet they are light years ahead of the KD's. The only problem is the sizes available, they do not have a 295/35-18, the closest in diameter are the 285/30-18's....that's why I ended up buying the Kd's for the 10" wheels.

Kevin

--------------------
Italian Horses & Bulls
Stuttgart, Ingolstadt & some on order

Posts: 456 | From: Bay Area, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Tahnsk for all the help guys.

Kevin,
I want a 335 back there, but I know its not practical at all.

--------------------

S281Cobra
NOTAFKE
Member # 338

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S281Cobra  Ford pictures for S281Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:
Kevin,

335's and 10" wheels..... [Eek!] ......well that's certainly going to limit your tire choices...... [Big Grin]

Can we say sidewall roll....... [Big Grin] ......it'll probably look cool, but I don't even want to think about how badly those will affect the handling, that is unless you can find some 12 or 13" wheels............. [Wink]

Kevin

--------------------
Italian Horses & Bulls

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

quote:
Originally posted by S281Cobra:
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:
Kevin,

335's and 10" wheels..... [Eek!] ......well that's certainly going to limit your tire choices...... [Big Grin]

Can we say sidewall roll....... [Big Grin] ......it'll probably look cool, but I don't even want to think about how badly those will affect the handling, that is unless you can find some 12 or 13" wheels............. [Wink]

Kevin

Yeah I know, its like harold putting 295's on a 9. I think I can squeeze a 315 on a 10. MAybe?

--------------------

S281Cobra
NOTAFKE
Member # 338

[/qb][/QUOTE]Yeah I know, its like harold putting 295's on a 9. I think I can squeeze a 315 on a 10. MAybe?[/QB][/QUOTE]

You can probably squeeze a 315 on a 10" wheel, and get away with it....the only prob is that size kind of limits your tire choice, only thing I could find in a 315 are PZero's, almost 340 a tire at tirerack........295's give you a little more choice in tires.

Kevin

--------------------
Italian Horses & Bulls

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Now this is more like TRY2PAZ's style:

-

Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
00NIGHTMARE
¯
Member # 1010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00NIGHTMARE  Ford pictures for 00NIGHTMARE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
aww yeah are those triple golds. you gotta make sure to get the crazy offset so they are at least a half foot past the wheel well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
00 black GT w/saleen kit & rims
T-Trim 597RWHP 475RWTQ 1.79 60. 11.2 @ 131.9 on 91 tune, not me driving. Built and tuned by Nextgen.

Posts: 533 | From: Livermore again | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

quote:
Originally posted by VortechSaleen:

-

WTF?
Ass-
All right nipper [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by VortechSaleen:

-

[worship] [dance] [worship]

Those rims are "pimp" [Big Grin]

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com