Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Gears

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gears
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the best gear ratio for Road Racing? It can't possibly be the stock 3.08's. Let me know what I should be runnin in the rear so I can get the right ring and pinion set for Xmas. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10's! LOL

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like 355
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am assuming you mean for an 8.8". I prefer 3.27's, if the motor has enough torque you can get out of the corners quickly and they dont rev the motor as much. They are especially good for tracks like T-Hill with long straightaways.
Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what do you think about 3.31's. I want to be at least a little bit quicker than a new stock GT [Confused]
Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love my 3:27's

With 3:08's, I don't think you will ever get out of 4th gear. Matters what track you go to. Anything more than 3:7'3 is too much. The more HP you have the lower the gear I would go.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea....just go with 4.30's and love leaving everyone you race in the dust. Even if they have a much better car...you will leave them behind(just say you know how to shift good, and they dont, so they feel like crap, LOL)
Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangSS:
What is the best gear ratio for Road Racing? It can't possibly be the stock 3.08's. Let me know what I should be runnin in the rear so I can get the right ring and pinion set for Xmas. [patriot]

With a stock bottom end and 6200 rpm rev limit, 3.55's would work well. That way on a long straight, you don't run out of gear in fourth like 3.73 might do. I'd have to know more about the car to give a better suggestion.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was told 3.55's are the way to go for road racing applications and cars with blowers.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went 3.55 for just this application. And plan to get blown later. Had a Mechanics/Racer tell me the same thing's about 3.55 over 3.73. I have them in now and plan to try them out this weekend.

./Matt

Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well I tried them out and love them. Car is hooking up great. Cant wait to get her out on the track.

./Matt

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Psuedo,

It also depends on if your car is a daily driver. If you trailer your car to tracks, then 3.73's might work well for you. If you're gonna drive your car there, then driving with 3.73's on the freeway might be a pain. I've gone over this a lot myself and the general consensus is that 3.55's are the best compromise between acceleration and streetability.

But as with just about EVERYTHING else, it comes down to personal preference.

LOL, wait, disregard everything I just said. I just read your sig. Since you're running a heavy-ass SN95, you definitely wanna go with at least 3.73's.

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ChicoStang w/ GF:
yea....just go with 4.30's and love leaving everyone you race in the dust. Even if they have a much better car...you will leave them behind(just say you know how to shift good, and they dont, so they feel like crap, LOL)

He's looking for road racing gears, not drag strip. I think 3.55's are the most common gear that I"ve heard for road races.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what gears would you choose for a blown 96 making 500 to the rear with griggs f&r coilovers and heavy duty TA & PHB?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its all about 3.55's for the blown and turbocharged applications. I run 3.73's with nitrous though.

--------------------
Support our troops!

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When my car was mostly stock I got the 373's. They are still in there but now with the kind of power that I have I will be stepping down to a 355. 373 is awesome for mostly stock. How much power you got?
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 3.73s and I had to either feather the pedal or shift into 5th going down the straightaways at Thunderhill. I'm switching to 3.27 soon. But, this is for my 351W and I have a VERY fat torque curve. If this is for a slightly modified '95 GT, I think 3.55s would be perfect for road racing. You'd be shifting like a madman with 4.10s

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com