Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » ThunderHill Park

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ThunderHill Park
mudanoman
Member # 209

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for mudanoman  Ford pictures for mudanoman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has driven their stang on the ThunderHill track. I am going to take a performance driving school there in the coming week. Just want to get some insight before I head up there. BTW, their site URL is http://www.thunderhill.com for those in CA who may be interested.

Laters,
Mudano

------------------
[IMG]http://mudanoman.freewebspace.com/mudanobanner.jpg[/IMG]
Performance Mods
- Two Chamber Flowmasters
- Flowtech Race Ready Cutouts (use on track only)
- Modified MAC Cold Air Induction (cut 90' bend and reposition MAF)
- MAC ProChamber (MIL Eliminators)
- TriAX Short Throw Shifter
- Dual Gauge Pod w/ A/F Mix. and Vacuum Pressure

Appearance
- Custom Painted Interior (silver/blue) and exterior scoops
- Custom Clear Corners
- Clear Bumper Reflectors
- MOMO Door Sill Plate
- Razo Racing Pedals
- Steeda Racing Knob
- Custom Tint
- Repositioned Rear Spoiler (MW)
- 9007 Offroad Halogen Bulbs (110W/80W)
- Carbon Fiber license plate cover
- Front Plate Delete

Audio
- Kenwood Excelon X-715
- MACH 460 system driven from Amp preouts from deck.

Contact
- AIM: mudanoman
- E-mail: mudanoman@hotmail.com

Posts: 9 | From: Burlingame, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
Greenandsilver
¯
Member # 1371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greenandsilver  Ford pictures for Greenandsilver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was looking into that racing school as well, and was going to cruise up this weekend to watch and check it out, but I turned up to have to work. Hopefully next month I'd like to try it!

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0

Posts: 91 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have and here's a few recommendations:

- Go to http://www.norcal-saac.org/ and find the Newsletter section. In there are track layouts and a very good description of the track. It's unlikely they will use the full track for that class but the info is very good.

- Fill up the car in the morning. My MPG for the day was half what I usually get. Gas is available at the track but it is expensive. Super octane is also available.

- Do not set the parking brake after a run, It might warp the rotors. Shut the car off and leave it in gear.

- There's no advantage to being first in line at arrival but you don't want to be late either.

- Helmet rental is available for $25 at the registration booth, first building on the left when entering.

- If you get a helpful instructor who provides some good advice, try to seek him out again. Some guys knew how to teach and I learned most from them.

It's a fun day and you'll learn a lot. Enjoy it.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry - make that the Open Track section of SAAC.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
94sssnake aka svt5150
¯
Member # 1237

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94sssnake aka svt5150  Ford pictures for 94sssnake aka svt5150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been there. It is a fun track and you will learn a lot about your car. Roush #92 has some good points and info.
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a sweet ass track. I've been there once, and plan on going again. You will ove it. Just lis\ten to what expiernced poeple have to say.
Oh yeah, don't get black flagged.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Greenandsilver
¯
Member # 1371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greenandsilver  Ford pictures for Greenandsilver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody going up on July 27th? I'm probably going to go up to watch the school and check it out.

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0

Posts: 91 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
WingnuT
¯
Member # 430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingnuT  Ford pictures for WingnuT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Hahahah!!! No Sheet!!

The track is great for beginners and experienced drivers as well. Just take your time and don't try to drive too fast too soon. Most guys think they will go faster if they floor it in every straight-away. Smooth and controlled will be faster than jerky and spaztic.

[ July 08, 2002, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: WingnuT ]

Posts: 136 | From: Scotts Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Cobra 427
¯
Member # 755

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cobra 427  Ford pictures for Cobra 427    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WingnuT:
...Just take your time and don't try to drive too fast too soon. Most guys think they will go faster if they floor it in every straight-away. Smooth and controlled will be faster than jerky and spaztic...

The first and third sentence of advice makes sense, however, in reality, I don't know anyone who doesn't "floor it" in every straight-away. The only time I lift in a straight-away is at the beginning of the braking zone (or when pointing a faster driver by). Other than that, flooring it in the straight-away is a bit safer [Big Grin] than flooring it in the corners [Big Grin]

Have Fun,
Randy R...

Posts: 95 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WingnuT:
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Hahahah!!! No Sheet!!

The track is great for beginners and experienced drivers as well. Just take your time and don't try to drive too fast too soon. Most guys think they will go faster if they floor it in every straight-away. Smooth and controlled will be faster than jerky and spaztic.

Do I count a total of three Black Flags between these two posters? [Big Grin]
Posts: 297 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Darren99Cobra
¯
Member # 1083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darren99Cobra  Ford pictures for Darren99Cobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My motto for any track day is ...Drive Smooth, Drive Fast, Drive Home. Have fun but don't let the little head think for the big head. Otherwise you'll be going home on the back of a flatbed tow truck.

Couple of other recommendations:

- check your lug nuts before you run. Keep them at 90 ft-lbs.

- Check your brake fluid if you're running the stock stuff as it might have boiled.

- Keep monitoring tire pressure especially if it's really hot.

- Drink lots of fluids.

- Don't get too confident at the end of the day. That's when people think they're really fast and they get tired and stack their ride.

Have fun.

--------------------
Darren
www.tacos3.com

Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey speaking of Thunder Hill I just got back from it today [Smile] It is a fun track but I would say one of the hardest tracks to test how stable your car is. It is open wasteland of asphalt, so the track gets hot like hot as hell. So a couple of things to look out for make sure your cooling system is up to the challenge, check all your suspension, and exhaust bolts, and check your breaks. This track has been known to kill cars due to the heat. Just a warning. Also have fun out there and if you get to tense loosen up and have fun "You got to go slow to be fast"
Posts: 552 | From: Freakmont, CA U.S. of A | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
bobh
¯
Member # 1495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobh  Ford pictures for bobh  Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
THill is definitely best in the Spring or Fall.
Summertime is real tough on the driver and the car.
I'm going again Sept 21st with Green Flag. Hopefully, it'll stay below 90 degs. [Smile]

mavs99
Member # 1696

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for mavs99  Ford pictures for mavs99  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thunderhill was my first track (ever)!!!!

Once you get a taste of open-track you will never go back to drag-racing. Yeehaaa.

Thunderhill is very fast. I have a few vids on my web site:

www.mavarner.com/cobra

-

See ya!

MAV
Think open-track, not straight line....

Posts: 2 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com