Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Norcal-LS1 hosted AutoX! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Norcal-LS1 hosted AutoX!
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For those of you familiar with AutoCross events will love this.

For those of you not familiar with it it is a giant "parking lot" with a course lined out made of cones and you attempt to drive the course as fast as you possibly can without taking out cones. It is simply the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel and you guys know how much I love drag racing. So for those of you that are into corner carving this is the event for you, and for those who are interested in testing the limits of their car or their driving skills this is the place to go. There plenty of people to teach you how to drive a course correctly and even ride with other drivers.

It will be held in Marina Ca. near Monterey and there will be plenty of Norcal members going also so getting hooked up with a caravan should be easy. You can find info at the Norcal-LS1 site in the Road Racing and Racing GTG sections.

http://forum.norcal-ls1.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=20

If you want any other info feel free to email me or post on our board.

Now lets see who has some skills in here.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This sounds cool I may go. Not sure yet i want to beef up the suspension first. I have my fun in the shifter kart. Cheeper when you crash a kart

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
too bad i didnt see one thing mentioning other cars besides z28, ss, trans am, and corvette, or else i probably would have been interested

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: 2000BlackGT ]

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually there are all makes and models out there. Just cuz we host the event doesnt mean thats all that shows. Shit last year we osted it only 5 or 6 F-bodies showed up.

Lots of BMWs, imports (not riced), Vettes, Mustangs, Jettas, etc. Just about any car that seems like it can handle goes out there and races.

HP is not as big of a deal either. A good driver and a decent car will take a high HP anyday.

Besides, I didnt hear of many F-bodies goign to the 98Cobra event on Sunday but I went anyway and still had a blast.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I brought my slow F-body out on the cruise on sunday and I also had a blast. I need to get a faster car I'm trying to figure out what I should get. I figure I'll be spending the the range of low 20's, if anybody can help me out, that'd be great also. Its tough to find good deals on cars. Especially Camaro's right now since they're harder and harder to find.

F8lPony, I might have to come out and watch the autocross. I think I'm a decent driver, but I wouldn't want to embarress myself out there, especially behind the wheel of my big ol 3.4L v6 camaro. I'll hit you up later though.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Eric, this guy is selling Lindseys old 99 Z28 for about that. It is an awesome car with good mods, headers, lid MAF etc. 18" Boyds, 1000watt PPI stereo system. If you are really serious let me know. You need to go to the autox too!

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by F8LPONY:
Eric, this guy is selling Lindseys old 99 Z28 for about that. It is an awesome car with good mods, headers, lid MAF etc. 18" Boyds, 1000watt PPI stereo system. If you are really serious let me know. You need to go to the autox too!

HUH??? why is that dood sellin it already?

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

He took a big pay cut and cant afford it. Poor guy, he hella likes it too. Shit if he ends up selling it real cheap I'll buy it back. LOL

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll be in the market for a new car as soon as I can get mine sold. So far I haven't gotten any interest on it, and I really hope I'm not going to just get raped on the value of my car. I'm hoping that I can join the LS1 family. I'll keep you guys posted though.

Torquepimp, I think I saw you at the cruise, but I wasn't sure, so I didn't get to talk to you at all. I saw firechicken's car also, its too damn hard to put faces to posting names.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was reading the solo hand book from one of the links on nor-cal, Do you know why they mark your tires with chalk?

F8LPONY: Do they ever do these events out at the sac airport ( the old airforce base) I went out there with my kart and some porsche club was out there. I hope its not like, what I seen there cuz man it was a bunch of fast cars not doing more then 25 mph. It was just like vooooooom brake voom it was a very sad site

--------------------

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

They mark your tires with chalk to see if you are getting too much sidewall flex. If they flex alot then the chalk starts to rub off.

What you explain is very similar to what you see at an autox. Although it may look sad it is totally a blast. Depending on the size of the course you usually wont leave 2nd gear but turning though the wide turns sliding sidways amidst a bunch of tire smoke is fun to me.

Don't confuse this with road racing where you reach high speeds. This is more technical driving and is actually very good for learning manuvering skills. Its one thing to watch it, its another to drive it. Kinda like driving fast go carts, looks stupid but it's hella fun.

Plus when you go out of the cones, you MUST reenter the course where you went out or you get a time penelty. So when people go out of bounds they get all crazy spinning the tires to get back in bounds as fast as possible.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 95Camaro:
I need to get a faster car I'm trying to figure out what I should get. I figure I'll be spending the the range of low 20's, if anybody can help me out, that'd be great also. Its tough to find good deals on cars.

There are plenty of 98 and newer Z28s out there for that price. I even saw some with less than 20 thousand miles for like 19 grand. There are plenty of cars to choose from, and it looks like you might even be able to afford a 98 and newer SS!!

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: 2000BlackGT ]

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

I'll try it out, but I dont see why you would spend all kinds of money on suspension just to go slow, I mean there were some nice cars there that I know can rail through turns faster then 25 mph. Its always more fun to drive then to watch but I was about to bring the kart over there and rail around their cones but they got all mad and told us we had to leave. Everyone has there own likes and dislikes but man if I bought a $50,000 or more car, There is no way I would be going as slow as them. It was about as sad as these flat trackers I seen with bikes that were built for a mile track and speeds of 100+ and were racing on a track that was indoors and the in field was 3 tires, No joke...lol now that was the funnyest display I have ever seen in the way of motorsports. I'm still down to go cuz I love just about any kind of racing.

Edit: My point is arent you going out there to test the limits of your car? IMO the only way to become a better driver is hands on and taking it to the limit and even sometimes braking the limit. how are you ever gonna learn how to get out of hair ball situations if you have never been in one. The line between screwing up and railing hard is thin and knowing that feeling that you get when spinning out and still keep control of the car is fun but not one to learnm on the street. I under stand this is not a road race kinda thing but I would hope that i could go faster then that. Well who knows maybe I'll learn some new tricks at this event!!!

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: ihatethesesns ]

--------------------

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

If your car is fast enough you will easliy go faster than 25mph through the straight areas, I think 50 is tops though. Trust me, you will get all out of control pretty easy.

And you will learn quite a bit. It sounds to me like you were watching a really tight course designed with imports in mind. The courses set up for rear wheel drive high HP cars tend to be wider and allow for a little power sliding on all 4 wheels and higher speeds. You'll have to see what I mean. I have 1 pic of my last event but I am kind of far away, I will try and post it up.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Cool cool, where the hell is John????? he said he wants to do road racing type of $hit I thought he would have been posting on this already. I guess I'll just have to tell him.

Have you done any road racing? I need to find out when laguna or sears is going to have an open track day.

--------------------

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

I just wanted to post this This is a pic of a guy on monday at sears testing out the new 16 turn track.

Ok I was reading this thing title you know your a road racer when and this one kills me every time.
-You complain when cars in front of you on highway off-ramps don't stay on the line, causing your exit speed to drop.

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: ihatethesesns ]

--------------------

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I started auto X when I was 16 off and on, all I got to say is its a blast, I had a bigger rush auto X in my 84 SLOOOOOOW auto rabbit (not the GTI) than running 13's, I know 13's is no where near fast but I think its still sort of a rush, Ive taken all my friends auto x and everyone has fallen in love with it, trust me guys it is way harder than it looks and its a freaking blast, whatever you do if this is your first time hearing about autox dont miss it go to the event. Bye the way at one of the tracks an marine field I actually hit 60mph Ofcourse I didnt stop in time but still, if you have decent brakes and tires youll atleast hit 40 to 50. And who doesnt like taking at 20mph turns while roasting their tires and not have anyone bitch at you for doing it.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
aslowdodge
¯
Member # 854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aslowdodge  Ford pictures for aslowdodge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done autocross before and watching them go 25mph is way different than trying to run that course driving yourself. You are pushing the limits of handling and braking on the car. If you think you can cover the course doing a much faster speed, then you car has something no one else has. Everyone is doing 25mph because any faster and the car will skid or plow off course because it can't stick any better.
People that are smooth and are able to dance on the end of traction get the faster times. make a mistake and you will lose.
You should try it. You will learn driving skills. I learned how to threshold brake and a few years later it saved me from rearending another car on the street.
I will say that it's really hard on the tires. My tread was pretty much wasted after doing about 6 -8 events. On a longer course one time I remember a point where you could actually hit about 80mph if you had a fast car. I was doing that in a borrowed Porsche 928 and the brakes faded. Needless to say I didn't
make the turn that came after. i haven't done auto X in about 8 years, but I think I will try to make this event if it doesn't rain.
Anyone else around here want to head down and run em?

--------------------
97 Viper GTS
Supercharged & a bit of juice
last dyno on 100 shot-770rwhp/908lb torque
tree stump pulling anyone?

Posts: 641 | From: pleasanton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaserStang  Ford pictures for LaserStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds AWESOME! I plan on going too - so hope to see some of ya there!

~Brian

--------------------
Laser Red 2000 Mustang GT
http://www.montereymustangs.com

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

well i am trying to get some guys from work to go and i am sure we will have a group of guy from around this area to go. we will more then likely meet up at in n out in p-town. who knows we may meet up with some nor cal guys as well

--------------------

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Justin,
Where is it at? How far is the drive?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by aslowdodge:
...Anyone else around here want to head down and run em?

Ill give it a try the only way ill ever even stand a chance with a [Worship] viper would be in a auto X.

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Brian, its near Monterey. Called Marina. I was goign to talk to Jeremy Pau and see if there is any street racing on Sat night for those staying overniht too.

Its a deep drive for Sacto people but its worth the drive and its a no brainer for Bay area folks.

Its awesome, you can get completely sideways, smoke the tires, spin out and be totally legal and safe.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Dont know if you all seen the other post in the general called ok you all have to check this out. We are trying to get a group of guys to race some karts. It kinda is the same theme of this post so i thought i would let you all know

--------------------

Todd Z28
¯
Member # 951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Z28  Ford pictures for Todd Z28  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Howdy everyone, As the NorCal-LS1 guy who's "in charge" of this event maybe I can answer a few questions. I do hope a lot of you come out and give it a try.

I'm fairly certain speeds will be higher than 25mph on more than one occasion as the course is being designed by a Muscle car driver . There may be a couple corners that are less than 25, but those are a good chance to practice steering with the right foot .

Next, there is nothing to hit on course except cones(usually don't hurt anything), course workers (they usually get out of the way before you get to them, and the timing lights (please don't hit them). Plus there is only one car run at a time ( there is usualy a 20 second gap between cars or there wouldn't be enough time), so risk to the car is minimal.

Unlike drag racing, a V6 Camaro or Mustang with a good driver can beat a V8 car (my Mom ran pretty equal to an IROC Z at the last event, she was in her '94 Saturn SL2).

ihatethesesns, Shifter Karts will be allowed at this event, and if you are pretty good in it, and you adapt fairly quickly to the conditions, you'd have a pretty good shot at top Time of Day. But for this event you may wanna bring the 'Stang, just to try it (or bring both)

quote:
too bad i didnt see one thing mentioning other cars besides z28, ss, trans am, and corvette, or else i probably would have been interested

I'll update my post when I get a chance to include Mustangs, I was mostly posting it with F-bodies in mind is all.

quote:
I was reading the solo hand book from one of the links on nor-cal, Do you know why they mark your tires with chalk?

I haven't read that whole site yet, I just wanted to give people an idea what to expect. No one will mark your tires with anything at this event. SOme people do put shoe polish or something on their tires to help monitor air Pressure.

quote:
I'll try it out, but I dont see why you would spend all kinds of money on suspension just to go slow, I mean there were some nice cars there that I know can rail through turns faster then 25 mph.

You don't need to spend any money on your suspension to go fast, A good set of tires will help though. Just ask anyone that went for a ride with me last year. You can go faster with the right mods, but they won't help as much as 1. learning to drive, 2. a really good set of tires.
And you don't have to be doing 100+ to test the limits of your car .

The trip down there isn't too bad, it takes my just over an hour in the morning from Fremont, no more than an hour and a half if I stop for gas and that's driving close to the speed limit.

ihatethesesns, if you can find me (shouldn't be too hard), I can put you on my potential list of passangers . (I'll be in the 5th run group)

Let me know if you have any more questions (and sorry about the long post).

--------------------
'98 Z28 (almost stock)
AutoX #72 Street Mod
'68 Corvette
BSP-V #00
www.americanauto-x.com

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com